Marvel Cinematic Universe Fandom (MCUc) - Page 67 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 08-10-2018, 09:24 AM   #1981
M. Steng
Empowered & Informed.

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe Fandom (MCUc)

I kinda liked the Ed Norton Hulk movie, not gonna lie.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 08-10-2018, 09:26 AM   #1982
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    Worse than the Eric Bana Hulk?

No no no no noooooooo. Bana's is WAY worse.

Thing is, I don't know that Norton's The Incredible Hulk is actually an objectively bad movie. I did a rewatch of it a couple months ago for the first time in a long time, and I certainly really wouldn't even call it "good". But I'm not sure if strictly on its own merits it's "awful". I think in the context of the MCU it invariably winds up at or near the bottom and that's fair, but that's speaking more toward how these guys have been able to produce some entertaining stuff at the very least pretty damn consistently now.

"Ohh, why do my actions have consequences?!?!" - Homer J. Simpson
    junior94 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-10-2018, 09:34 AM   #1983
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

My Tour Central Stats

btw, this is what Edward Norton said about The Incredible Hulk at the Bruce Willis roast

"I have to adopt your (Willis) relationship to the script. I tried to be like you, I did a big action movie called The Incredible Hulk. You know what went wrong? I wanted a better script! I thought maybe we should try to make one Marvel movie that was at least as good as the worst Chris Nolan movie, but, what the hell was I thinking."

and putting in the Nolan reference is because Joseph Gordon Levitt was the roastmaster of the whole event.

Old 08-10-2018, 09:37 AM   #1984
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

To his credit I thought Norton handled the Hulk/Banner relationship pretty well, I thought he was a better fit than Ruffalo is.
    Old 08-10-2018, 09:41 AM   #1985
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

My Tour Central Stats

I've actually really liked Ruffalo's take the whole way so far since he inherited the role, but, much as I hate to say it, I thought of all the regular Avenger members, he gave arguably the worst performance in Infinity War. and I can't even exactly put my finger on what it was, just something was 'off' (shame, since they purposely wanted to sneak in a solo Hulk movie within the 'trilogy' of Ragnarok, Infinity War and Avengers 4, since they can't do a proper one cause of the rights situation).

Old 08-10-2018, 09:52 AM   #1986
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

I'm not trying to stir the pot but I've never really liked Ruffalo as Hulk at all. I never found him to be a good fit. I really liked Norton though.
    Old 08-10-2018, 12:05 PM   #1987
    MOWJO8185

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

I thought Norton's Hulk performance was solid. It's always just a little awkward when a "reboot" comes a year or two after another film and they try to ignore origin stories, etc. I think the whole movie just felt a little too "dropping in the middle of the story" for anyone to form a solid connection with the Banner character, but that is a story/script issue, not anything Norton did wrong.
    MOWJO8185 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-10-2018, 06:43 PM   #1988
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

My Tour Central Stats

btw there's a reason we still haven't heard any sort of final decision on James Gunn being completely removed from Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol 3. There's apparently a loooooooot of back and forth, with a chance (though I'd guess not as good as 50/50) that Disney may indeed reverse the decision and have him direct after all. There's been all of the cast support behind him (far and away the most emphatic since day 1 is Dave Bautista) getting re-hired. Note this was a decision that came from Disney, them like not even getting Marvel's opinion on the matter on that day. And word is that Kevin Feige has been like beyond livid that the move was made (he already hated the CEO Ike Pearlmutter to begin with) and while Feige still hasn't commented public on it all, he's been lobbying very heavily for Gunn behind closed doors.

So it's not at all totally outside the realm of possibility.

Old 08-10-2018, 10:49 PM   #1989
    DMBZeppelin
    OOH-WEE

Shows Seen: 87

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

To expand on the developments junior is talking about.

August 6th:

https://www.shortlist.com/entertainm...twitter/368730

Quote:
    “Nobody’s defending his tweets, but this was a smear campaign on a good man,” he said, speaking to ShortList’s Tom Ellen. “I spoke to Chris Pratt the day after it happened and he’s a bit religious so he wanted time to pray and figure it out, but I was more like: f*ck this. This is bullshit. James is one of the kindest, most decent people I’ve met.”

Bautista said Gunn had already turned in the script for Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 3. A replacement director for the film, due to shoot early next year, has not yet been announced.

“Where I’m at right now is that if [Marvel] don’t use that script, then I’m going to ask them to release me from my contract, cut me out or recast me.

“I’d be doing James a disservice if I didn’t.”
    and later in the day Bautista had this twitter exchange

@eliaseliot: @DaveBautista Love your support for @JamesGunn. Do you have any plans or response if Disney doesn’t reinstate him for GotG3?

@DaveBautista: I will do what Im legally obligated to do but @Guardians without @JamesGunn is not what I signed up for. GOTG w/o @JamesGunn just isn’t GOTG. Its also pretty nauseating to work for someone who’d empower a smear campaign by fascists #cybernazis . That’s just how I feel

Tour 2023: Deer Creek [6/30] [7/01]
    DMBZeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-10-2018, 10:52 PM   #1990
    DMBZeppelin
    OOH-WEE

My Tour Central Stats

August 8th

James Gunn in Demand for Major Studio Movies After Disney Firing: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...firing-1133161

Quote:
    Gunn, who was fired July 20 after past offensive tweets came to light, has been approached by several top producers and executives at major studios dangling big film projects, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

"I’d work with him in a heartbeat," says one senior executive at a rival studio. Like the dozen or so execs and producers THR spoke with, this exec asked to remain anonymous because Gunn is not permitted to entertain other offers while his negotiation to exit Disney is ongoing.

“I’ve been advised that we can’t bring anything to him until the Disney matter is 100 percent resolved,” says another studio executive. Major players said to be interested in Gunn’s services run the gamut from studios, including Warner Bros., which has its Disney/Marvel rival superhero movies via DC Entertainment, to Oscar-winning producers.
    This covers the complications and for the first time says they are indeed going to use his script

Quote:
    Multiple sources say that Gunn, repped by UTA and attorney Andrew Hurwitz, remains locked in complicated negotiations with Disney over his exit settlement. He has written the script for Guardians 3 and was to have directed the third installment of a franchise whose first two entries (also written and directed by Gunn) grossed $773 million and $863 million, respectively.

Sources say that Gunn, while under contract for the third movie, likely was not "pay or play,” a status that would require Disney to pay him his full fee regardless of whether his services are actually used. Filmmakers typically reach pay-or-play status when a movie is officially greenlighted or eight weeks prior to the start of production, neither of which had occurred. But Gunn is not said to have breached his contract because the offensive tweets were sent years before he first signed with Disney’s Marvel Studios.

Some experienced talent reps estimate that due to the unique situation, Gunn could receive a payout of $7 million to $10 million, if not potentially higher. And, more importantly, he would be free to take on another project immediately. Also affecting the negotiations is that Disney plans on using Gunn's script for the third Guardians pic, according to sources.
    and finally the fact that he may still work with Marvel again

Quote:
    There may be an unexpected twist to the story. Two sources say there is a hope through the talks that Gunn could return in some fashion, even if it’s to develop and direct another Marvel movie. “An end-all verdict hasn’t been issued and conversations with Marvel are still ongoing,” says one source familiar with the proceedings.

That leaves Gunn and his potential suitors waiting to see the outcome of the talks. “Most people feel his comments were coming out of his brand of comedy [at the time he made them],” says another studio exec. “Having an inappropriate sense of humor shouldn’t be a crime.”

Old 08-10-2018, 10:58 PM   #1991
    DMBZeppelin
    OOH-WEE

My Tour Central Stats

August 9th

Possible Reprieve On James Gunn & ‘Guardians’ As Marvel Back Channels With Disney?: https://deadline.com/2018/08/james-g...pt-1202443199/

Quote:
    EXCLUSIVE: Might there be a glimmer of hope for change of heart in the quick banishment of Guardians of the Galaxy director James Gunn from the Magic Kingdom? Nobody is talking about it, but sources said that back channel conversations are taking place between Marvel Studios and Disney. Sources said the Marvel contingent is trying to persuade Disney to explore a compromise that might bring Gunn back into the fold for Guardians 3, something that clearly would be best for the franchise. There is no clash or strong arming here. I’m told it’s a discussion that comes in the wake of the whole cast declaring their loyalty to Gunn, whose abrupt exit has put a thriving film franchise in a rocky place. One would have to label this 11th hour approach to be a long shot, but the community is talking about it.
    and apparently they still want to move forward on this movie quickly, hence the reports on them still using his script:

Quote:
    Anyone at Disney would be hard pressed to say the quick hook has benefited the Guardians franchise. The entire cast unanimously wants Gunn back, even as they acknowledge he was an idiot, at a time he was graduating from the Troma schlock horror factory and attempting to be some kind of satirical provocateur. Gunn remains eminently hire-able and a studio chief told me recently he’s eager to give him a picture once Gunn is free of Disney.

Disney and Marvel want to move forward quickly with the next Guardians installment, and one of the reasons the Chris Pratt-starrer Cowboy Ninja Viking stalled at Universal this week was because the film was undergoing rewrites too close to start of production — a recipe for problems — and it was clear Pratt was on a tight timeline because he has to suit up to play Starlord. Gunn has written a script and Dave Bautista has gone as far as declaring he won’t want to reprise his Drax character unless Marvel uses Gunn’s version. All of this has created acrimony and destabilized a crowd pleasing franchise that grossed a collective $1.6 billion worldwide, with the sequel earning more than the original.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:01 PM   #1992
    DMBZeppelin
    OOH-WEE

My Tour Central Stats

We know Feige obviously wants Gunn around for the MCU, but I wonder if now the top execs at Disney are worried about Gunn going over to the DC universe. You kill your own billion dollar franchise and maybe launch one for the competition that goes head to head with your MCU movies. I wonder how long the whole ordeal will draw out considering they need to get things in motion soon.

Old 08-11-2018, 11:37 AM   #1993
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by junior94 View Post
    btw, this is what Edward Norton said about The Incredible Hulk at the Bruce Willis roast

"I have to adopt your (Willis) relationship to the script. I tried to be like you, I did a big action movie called The Incredible Hulk. You know what went wrong? I wanted a better script! I thought maybe we should try to make one Marvel movie that was at least as good as the worst Chris Nolan movie, but, what the hell was I thinking."

and putting in the Nolan reference is because Joseph Gordon Levitt was the roastmaster of the whole event.
    :LOL

That's actually why I started wondering if it was any good. I haven't seen it and when he mentioned it I wondered if it was actually that bad.
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-11-2018, 11:43 AM   #1994
    BotheLaneFan
    I AM the FBI

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

It’s pretty fucking terrible.

The plot is always moving forward.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    So is a glacier.
    BotheLaneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-11-2018, 12:26 PM   #1995
    mthawk07
    In all kinds of weather

My Tour Central Stats

Late on this one, but Venom looks dreadfully bad.
    Old 08-11-2018, 04:53 PM   #1996
    TwoStep2888
    Freak Time

Shows Seen: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBZeppelin View Post
    August 9th

Possible Reprieve On James Gunn & ‘Guardians’ As Marvel Back Channels With Disney?: https://deadline.com/2018/08/james-g...pt-1202443199/

and apparently they still want to move forward on this movie quickly, hence the reports on them still using his script:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBZeppelin View Post
    We know Feige obviously wants Gunn around for the MCU, but I wonder if now the top execs at Disney are worried about Gunn going over to the DC universe. You kill your own billion dollar franchise and maybe launch one for the competition that goes head to head with your MCU movies. I wonder how long the whole ordeal will draw out considering they need to get things in motion soon.
    Just hire him back imo
    Old 08-15-2018, 11:35 PM   #1997
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

My Tour Central Stats

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/j...ng-1202907016/

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

But alright here's my two takeaways from the situation (beware, could be a little long, will try and keep concise as possible). So, if you're firmly in the camp that it was absolutely correct to fire Gunn, it was morally the right thing to, that Disney can have no business ties with someone with something like this in their past... yada yada yada. Well then, they better act lickity split to meet their theatrical release date, considering they obviously then must bring in a new writer to do a full page 1 rewrite. Because otherwise, if you feel you stood your righteous ground in helping to (or even just being glad about) Gunn being removed as director, but you don't care if they still use his script, well than that right there outs you that much further as hypocrite, that this for you is about nothing more than proceeding with your political agenda, to help fuck up the career of someone who dared shared his descent about this disgusting bigot of corrupt president we have in the oval. If you're TRULY coming from this side, than you've gotta take it ALL the way, else it's meaningles. That Disney indeed cannot be associated with such indecent and immoral people, that everything about him must go, that his name can't be attached to Guardians 3 whatsoever.

Except, I can't help but feel that WON'T happen, just showing this to be the bullshit hack move that it is, instead of Disney not being held hostage to Alex Jones/Infowars-level, alt-right trolls. Shame on you, Disney.

alright I'll try to show a little mercy and make my next point (shouldn't be as long) in a new post

Old 08-15-2018, 11:56 PM   #1998
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

My Tour Central Stats

Ok this other angle, of course it's basically like a companion piece, but I figure why torture people all in one post, the first one was too damn long enough

Anyway, I almost always hate it when people try to throw the "it's a slippery slope!!" into ANY argument, I feel like it's a cliche, and just always makes me do a giant eye roll. BUT, in this case, the way these alt-right trolls went after James Gunn for this past material... mind you, all the stuff he's "in trouble for", Disney and Marvel had full awareness of it when looking at him to write and direct the first Guardians,, he owned them, he sincerely apologized for them, and Disney was perfectly appeased. Gunn went onto make arguably the best movies of the whole Marvel era, and all was good. He was not at all "that person" anymore, he was universally loved by his cast and crew, much of whom went onto work on Guardians 2.

Then, the Trump cultists started to be not happy Gunn was speaking out against Dear Leader, making him look like a lying, corrupt asshole by simply repeating back things Trump's openly said. So then this Mike Cernovich, a true psychopath decided to start digging, and this whole shirstorm started, as described in the previous post.

But here's the rub: when do they decide they want to bring down Robert Downey Jr, as well? After all, this dude's actually an EX-CONVICT! With major drug charges! And in the one case, wondering into this one kid's bedroom while just high off his rocker not knowing where the fuck he was, he could've really hurt that kid easily.
    So if Disney really has this super duper zero tolerance policy of good behavior from its talent, it's only a matter of time before RDJ's having to defend himself against the self-appointed morality policy. I mean, am I totally off base here?

Old 08-16-2018, 12:02 AM   #1999
    currupt3d**

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Not that I really care since I never got into the Guardian movies, but blaming the alt right/Alex Jones is pretty irrelevant. All they did was bring his gross tweets to light, and Disney felt the need to distance themselves from a guy who used to make creepy pedo jokes. Gunn is 100% responsible for what happened to him, no one else.
    currupt3d** is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-16-2018, 12:11 AM   #2000
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by currupt3d** View Post
    Not that I really care since I never got into the Guardian movies, but blaming the alt right/Alex Jones is pretty irrelevant. All they did was bring his gross tweets to light, and Disney felt the need to distance themselves from a guy who used to make creepy pedo jokes. Gunn is 100% responsible for what happened to him, no one else.

hmm... well then it seems like maybe the optimal time to do that was back in 2010, 2011-ish, before he started making the movies. Again, Marvel and Disney had full knowledge of the things, it wasn't so much a problem they felt they couldnt work with him. What they had was a perfectly reasonable, normal response. Hence, he was hired to do Guardians 1.
    It wasn't until the Info Wars nutjobs start digging the shit up in a movie that was purely out of retaliation of Gunn calling out Trump on his bullshit. He never once lied about Trump. Disney coward to these sad excuses for human beings, and here we are.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:57 AM   #2001
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

I have a feeling Disney can find an adequate director to replace him. Even if they can't, GotG 2 was disappointing.
    Old 08-16-2018, 11:15 AM   #2002
    TwoStep2888
    Freak Time

Shows Seen: 7

My Tour Central Stats

I liked Guardians 2
    Old 08-16-2018, 11:24 AM   #2003
    fuvonks
    Catching a buzz

Shows Seen: 98

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

GOTG2 was middle of the pack but I found it enjoyable.
    fuvonks is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-17-2018, 07:33 PM   #2004
    mthawk07
    In all kinds of weather

My Tour Central Stats

Captain Marvel trailer being released tomorrow!

https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/09...ailer-come-out
    mthawk07 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-18-2018, 05:43 AM   #2005
    DMBZeppelin
    OOH-WEE

My Tour Central Stats

Trailer is out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1BCujX3pw8

Old 09-18-2018, 05:54 AM   #2006
    mthawk07
    In all kinds of weather

My Tour Central Stats

Not giving away much yet but I like where it’s headed.
    Old 09-18-2018, 06:42 AM   #2007
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Been reading some Carol Danvers comics and I'm very excited for this movie. Glad they're bringing the Skrulls & Krees into the mix. I assume they would've played a part in the GotG3 but that seems like it won't happen. Either way, movie looks good. Marvel has it figured out.
    Old 09-18-2018, 07:18 AM   #2008
    Roose13
    Ring the Bell

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Definitely intrigued after that trailer. I don't know much about this character either, but it looks good.

NHL Thread Banner
    -2013-14 Keith Yandle Award winner-
    -2014-15 Buccigross Award winner-
    -2015-16 Darren Dreger Award winner-
    -2016-17 Damien Cox Award winner-
    Roose13 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-18-2018, 07:23 AM   #2009
    MOWJO8185

Shows Seen: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Loved the Blockbuster appearance.
    MOWJO8185 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-18-2018, 07:30 AM   #2010
    thebridge15

Shows Seen: 20

My Tour Central Stats

kinda weird trailer, but can't really put my finger on why. I appreciate the dramatic de-aging of samuel l jackson and clark gregg though

will ultimately see the movie cause why not, but I may be more interested in a second trailer cut eventually

that will be a tough one for the aliens to figure out.
    thebridge15 is offline   Reply With Quote