Airplane Makes Emergency Landing, One Passenger Dead - Page 4 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 04-18-2018, 11:20 AM   #91
dre2142
Get it done

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Airplane Makes Emergency Landing, One Passenger Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by recentlyJTR41 View Post
Besides possibly being sucked out of a plane, is Southwest really that shitty? Was looking at flights the other day and thought about maybe using them.
i use them for personal flights just because theyre cheaper in many instances.

I hate their boarding practices though. I usually spring the $40 bucks at check in for first boarding.
dre2142 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 04-18-2018, 11:21 AM   #92
    recentlyJTR41
    Boognish

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by daveshookme View Post
    personally, my favorite domestic carrier. It's definitely a different clientele than delta/united/american but if you're just going to pass the fuck out what difference does it make. And they still have one of the best safety ratings of any airline in the skies. They've never lost and aircraft I don't believe, and yesterday was their first in-flight fatality in the company's history. They are very well respected within the industry, too.
    They're usually cheaper too, no? I've never flown with them before. Last time I flew was with Spirit. Surprised I didn't die then
    Old 04-18-2018, 11:22 AM   #93
    recentlyJTR41
    Boognish

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dre2142 View Post
    i use them for personal flights just because theyre cheaper in many instances.

I hate their boarding practices though. I usually spring the $40 bucks at check in for first boarding.
    Didn't see this until I posted. Thanks
    Old 04-18-2018, 11:29 AM   #94
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    They're usually cheaper too, no? I've never flown with them before. Last time I flew was with Spirit. Surprised I didn't die then
    usually, yeah, but it's entirely possible they won't be depending on route/day of travel/hundreds of other factors. especially if you're checking bags. southwest's first two bags are free which makes boarding easier for me. i just check my bag and find a seat. don't have to worry about overhead space. If you're flying on anybody else, bag fees can be outrageous. I believe united's first bag is around $40 and then the second is $100? JetBlue is $25/100 I think?

I know lockman and others from the travel thread will disagree with me and call me foolish but I think every single flight I've taken in the past 5 years (somewhere around 100) has been with southwest except for 2. One was jetblue, and one was (i think) continental. I can't remember who that second one was.
    Old 04-18-2018, 11:38 AM   #95
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

SW boarding is the best.
    Old 04-18-2018, 11:40 AM   #96
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

My Tour Central Stats

I fly SW 90% of the time, and every time I don't, I wish I had.
    Old 04-18-2018, 11:48 AM   #97
    TheLastStop123
    paper hands

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

yeah southwest is crazy cheap. I sometimes forget to look at them when booking flights since none of theirs show up on aggregated search websites like expedia - they only offer flights on their actual website. they had a round-trip flight to chicago that legitimately saved me hundreds of dollars compared to other airlines.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FromTheMorning View Post
    Antsmarching.org: Came for the DMBc, stayed for the nDMBc.
    TheLastStop123 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-18-2018, 12:17 PM   #98
    rconverse

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastStop123 View Post
    yeah southwest is crazy cheap. I sometimes forget to look at them when booking flights since none of theirs show up on aggregated search websites like expedia - they only offer flights on their actual website. they had a round-trip flight to chicago that legitimately saved me hundreds of dollars compared to other airlines.
    Yeah but you have to fly in/out of Midway. That's the downside, imo.
    rconverse is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-18-2018, 12:23 PM   #99
    Climb2safety
    Free your mind

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Not at all. Conditions don't matter too much with regard to saving an engine failure.
    No, I was more saying that with double engine failure, or out of fuel, basically a now power situation you would be lucky to have a good place to set it down that you could successfully get to.

Is that not right?

This town is nuts, my kind of place. I don't never ever want to leave....
    Climb2safety is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-18-2018, 12:38 PM   #100
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Climb2safety View Post
    No, I was more saying that with double engine failure, or out of fuel, basically a now power situation you would be lucky to have a good place to set it down that you could successfully get to.

Is that not right?

Correct, from 30000+’ they’re usually able to get to an airport. Once you get into the heavy+ sizes (747, A380...) it’s becomes a little tougher as they can’t just choose any old runway, but even then they’d be able to find someplace to put her down safely. If you’re talking a complete power loss they still have auxiliary power to work the control surfaces and pressurized lines to blow the landing gear down. But even when I was in flight training we'd practice engine loss scenarios and regardless of weather I'm able to glide for about 5ish miles from an altitude of about 2500'. A 737 glide ratio is about 17:1, meaning for every 1 unit of altitude, they can travel 17 unites horizontally. So from 30000' they can glide for about 100 miles before they reach the ground.

Back in the 80’s (united airlines flight 232) there was a flight that had a complete loss of control of the rudder and ailerons and one of three engines went (the tail mounted engine exploded, and shrapnel tore through the horizontal stabilizer severing all of the hydraulic control systems. It's widely regarded as one of the most catastrophic losses of in-flight control. They were still able to make it to a runway. Obviously it's the opposite scenario you're talking to, they still had thrust working in their favor so horizontal distance doesn't much matter, but the point is these aircraft are so well built and the crew is so well trained that even in the worst imaginable situations they'll still be able to get you to a runway.

Last edited by daveshookme; 04-18-2018 at 12:52 PM.
    daveshookme is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-18-2018, 12:47 PM   #101
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

Shows Seen: 240

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Besides possibly being sucked out of a plane, is Southwest really that shitty? Was looking at flights the other day and thought about maybe using them.
    It's all relative. In terms of on-time performance, mishandled bags (i.e. lost bags), canceled flights, etc. they're generally the worst of the 4 biggest US carriers (American, Delta, United and Southwest). And there are multiple reasons for that. It likely won't change anytime soon unless Southwest changes their entire operations model (which they won't).

But they certainly are the most flexible in terms of flight bookings.

I personally don't fly them as a frequent traveler for a number of reasons (most road warriors don't), but if you're looking for just a one-off flight, they're certainly not a "bad" airline.

Quote:
    Eh, not really. They're technically a "low cost" carrier like Frontier, but airline pricing algorithms are so complex at this point that generally speaking they're right in line in pricing usually with the majors (AA, DL and UA) when flying similar routes.

Like I said, their policies are more flexible if you need to make flight changes and such, though.

Last edited by lockman21; 04-18-2018 at 12:48 PM.
    lockman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-18-2018, 01:01 PM   #102
    Lee3691

Shows Seen: 129

My Tour Central Stats

Spirit is awful.

I always get nervous during takeoffs, but after 5 min, I am fine on flights. The reason I don't like flying is the uncomfortable process from the time you park your car, to the time you get your transportation in the next destination.
    Lee3691 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-18-2018, 02:22 PM   #103
    fridge112887
    William Perry

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

How will the passengers of the flight be compensated?

Edit: besides the obvious answer of "their life"
    Old 04-18-2018, 03:02 PM   #104
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fridge112887 View Post
    How will the passengers of the flight be compensated?

Edit: besides the obvious answer of "their life"

That’s a good question. I honestly don’t know. Obviously reaccommodated to their final destination, they likely had a spare plane and crew flown in to continue the remainder of the flight to DFW. I don’t know what happens to passengers too traumatized to fly, whether they get a refund or an overnight stay in PHL or if they forfeit everything or what. I can try to find out though, I’m curious.
    Old 04-18-2018, 05:11 PM   #105
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I know lockman and others from the travel thread will disagree with me and call me foolish but I think every single flight I've taken in the past 5 years (somewhere around 100) has been with southwest except for 2. One was jetblue, and one was (i think) continental. I can't remember who that second one was.
    Eh, it’s all relative to what’s important to you.

When I fly, things like preassigned seats, first class (confirmed or upgrades), airport lounges, schedule, frequency, number of destinations, etc are most important to me in an airline. I follow The Points Guy religiously because I milk as many airline miles and hotel/car rental points as I possibly can so when I want to travel confirmed for personal travel, I know I can go anywhere in the world and use only points.

I’ve flown almost 150 flights since the start of 2017, the vast majority on United and American. Some sprinkled in at KLM, Alitalia, British Airways and Lufthansa. I have both the United and American credit cards and put everything on those (mostly the United). Southwest doesn’t get me what matters to me. What if I want to redeem points for Hawaii? Or Anchorage? Calgary? London? Sydney? Shit, forget even those. What about Jackson, Wyoming? Or Telluride? United and American both serve about 350 destinations each worldwide. Southwest is just shy of 100. Throw in alliances and you can go literally anywhere.

I want a confirmed window seat with extra legroom (economy plus/main cabin extra) at the least, and the ability to upgrade or even just confirm myself in business/first. Besides all that, they just have bigger fleets. So I know if I want to fly to simple places like Tampa, or Austin, or Los Angeles...I know United or American will have better frequency that will likely allow me to go nonstop to my destination at the time I want. I also like that if United can’t get me there, American can back me up. Weather in Dallas? Maybe United can operate when American can’t. Or vice versa. If something goes wrong on a Southwest flight, you’re stuck with Southwest. They don’t partner with anyone to get you home.

Southwest doesn’t do any of that for me. I get the appeal of them, though. The flexibility to change flights, etc. is really nice. They market themselves really well to a leisure traveler that only flies once every year.

That’s just not me though. Like I said, not a bad airline by any means, but they just don’t fit what I’m looking for. When I book a confirmed ticket, it’s RARE I need to cancel it or change it. So that kind of stuff doesn’t matter to me. The credit cards for UA and AA allow me to check bags on those confirmed tickets to, not that I ever really do. But if I wanted to, I could for free.

Anyway, I’m rambling. Long story short, Southwest is just fine at what they do.
    Old 04-18-2018, 05:21 PM   #106
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lockman21 View Post
    Eh, it’s all relative to what’s important to you.

When I fly, things like preassigned seats, first class (confirmed or upgrades), airport lounges, schedule, frequency, number of destinations, etc are most important to me in an airline. I follow The Points Guy religiously because I milk as many airline miles and hotel/car rental points as I possibly can so when I want to travel confirmed for personal travel, I know I can go anywhere in the world and use only points.

I’ve flown almost 150 flights since the start of 2017, the vast majority on United and American. Some sprinkled in at KLM, Alitalia, British Airways and Lufthansa. I have both the United and American credit cards and put everything on those (mostly the United). Southwest doesn’t get me what matters to me. What if I want to redeem points for Hawaii? Or Anchorage? Calgary? London? Sydney? Shit, forget even those. What about Jackson, Wyoming? Or Telluride? United and American both serve about 350 destinations each worldwide. Southwest is just shy of 100. Throw in alliances and you can go literally anywhere.

I want a confirmed window seat with extra legroom (economy plus/main cabin extra) at the least, and the ability to upgrade or even just confirm myself in business/first. Besides all that, they just have bigger fleets. So I know if I want to fly to simple places like Tampa, or Austin, or Los Angeles...I know United or American will have better frequency that will likely allow me to go nonstop to my destination at the time I want. I also like that if United can’t get me there, American can back me up. Weather in Dallas? Maybe United can operate when American can’t. Or vice versa. If something goes wrong on a Southwest flight, you’re stuck with Southwest. They don’t partner with anyone to get you home.

Southwest doesn’t do any of that for me. I get the appeal of them, though. The flexibility to change flights, etc. is really nice. They market themselves really well to a leisure traveler that only flies once every year.

That’s just not me though. Like I said, not a bad airline by any means, but they just don’t fit what I’m looking for. When I book a confirmed ticket, it’s RARE I need to cancel it or change it. So that kind of stuff doesn’t matter to me. The credit cards for UA and AA allow me to check bags on those confirmed tickets to, not that I ever really do. But if I wanted to, I could for free.

Anyway, I’m rambling. Long story short, Southwest is just fine at what they do.

True. That’s more of what I meant, “professional travelers” don’t like southwest, typically. Not that you think it’s a bad airline, it’s just not what y’all fly most of the time for the points you outlined. Part of it too is out of ALB they do ~50% of all traffic. I don’t have MUCH of another choice. UA/DL/AA combined come to about 60% of the total number of flights WN operates daily out of here, I believe. It may be a little higher, but the point still stands. For me, I like WN. But I can definitely see why somebody like yourself would stay away from them.
    Old 04-18-2018, 05:45 PM   #107
    Lee3691

My Tour Central Stats

SW is going to start flying to Hawaii in early 2019
    Old 04-18-2018, 05:49 PM   #108
    Lee3691

My Tour Central Stats

Have Delta / American / United changed to a revenue based frequent flier program like SW? If you travel for business on SW, you earn free flights fast.
    Old 04-18-2018, 06:07 PM   #109
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lee3691 View Post
    SW is going to start flying to Hawaii in early 2019
    Yeah! Really exciting for them. They keep expanding their route map which is great for SW fliers. Even if we're talking Hawaii though, Southwest is just going to go to Honolulu. The legacy carriers fly to places like Maui, Hilo, Kito, Lihue, etc. as well. And way more frequently than SW ever could. United is the biggest player there, and they fly to Hawaii from EWR, IAD, IAH, ORD, DEN, SFO and LAX. Most of those serving multiple islands. Plus, I'd rather fly direct from ORD to OGG or HNL on a 777 than have to connect in LAX (which I'm guessing is what SW will do) to fly on a 737-800. Or 737 MAX 8, which is what I'm pretty sure they'll have ETOPS certified.

Due to how they're set up, Southwest will just never be able to match the schedule and route maps of the legacy carriers.

Just my .02. I have lots of friends that work at Southwest and they are a fantastic company. Just not my cup of tea.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lee3691 View Post
    Have Delta / American / United changed to a revenue based frequent flier program like SW? If you travel for business on SW, you earn free flights fast.
    Yes, it's revenue based.

I rack up United miles fast with Marriott/Hertz though. Hertz, for example, is running a promo that nets me 2,500 miles on UA for every car rental. I'm in a lot of places for a day or two, so those 2,500 miles add up. Marriott has a lot of travel packages that cost a little extra in hotel points, but you earn back hundreds of thousands of United miles.

For example, right now I could book a 7 night stay at a category 7 Marriott property. It would cost me about 300,000 Marriott points, but they would then give me a little over 130,000 United miles back for making that redemption.

Also use the MilagePlus X app which earns me extra United miles for making everyday purchases. Amazon, Chipotle, etc.

And as you gain status, you earn faster. Lots of ways to earn extra. It's a definitely a hustle

Last edited by lockman21; 04-18-2018 at 06:09 PM.
    lockman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-18-2018, 06:18 PM   #110
    DIDriveOut2SPAC
    American Aquarium Drnkr

Shows Seen: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Just like I trust a surgeon to dig around in my insides and keep me alive after sowing me up, I trust the men and woman in charge of the controls in the air. The following link is proof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKo4Eee7V3s

This sullyesque landing from a Pole nonetheless. The shittiest aspect of this flight is no IFE, get with it Poland.

Last edited by DIDriveOut2SPAC; 04-18-2018 at 06:21 PM.
    DIDriveOut2SPAC is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-18-2018, 06:25 PM   #111
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DIDriveOut2SPAC View Post
    Just like I trust a surgeon to dig around in my insides and keep me alive after sowing me up, I trust the men and woman in charge of the controls in the air. The following link is proof.

This sullyesque landing from a Pole nonetheless. The shittiest aspect of this flight is no IFE, get with it Poland.
    Old 04-18-2018, 06:33 PM   #112
    DIDriveOut2SPAC
    American Aquarium Drnkr

My Tour Central Stats

Most people walk away from car crashes vs most people don't walk away from maydays is a stupid argument (didnt truly backread, but I am picking up on a theme here) is a very stupid argument.

I don't need to cite anything to factually tell you that being on an aircraft is the most safe you are going to be on earth at any point in your existence. You have a better chance of running out of air in your self built bunker then perishing on an aircraft.

Source: me flying at minimum 50x per quarter
    Old 04-18-2018, 06:38 PM   #113
    Lee3691

My Tour Central Stats

I mean if you fly 100 flights a year like you do lockman, no matter what program you join, you are going to clean up.

I do about 45 nights a year for Hilton, so aside from some points in SW, that's what I am earning. I've probably used 40 free nights in the last 6 years or so.
    Old 04-18-2018, 06:43 PM   #114
    DIDriveOut2SPAC
    American Aquarium Drnkr

My Tour Central Stats

Mentions AMEX points.

Amex Points (business and personal) then personal legacy carrier cards are in my aresanal

That is the main reason why road warriors like myself dont go with Southwest. Besides the obvious hard product offerings.

Last edited by DIDriveOut2SPAC; 04-18-2018 at 06:46 PM.
    DIDriveOut2SPAC is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-18-2018, 06:50 PM   #115
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

I like my Sapphire Preferred card. Good for the amount of traveling I do.
    Old 04-18-2018, 06:54 PM   #116
    DIDriveOut2SPAC
    American Aquarium Drnkr

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rodey View Post
    Great card.

I feel if people research and utilize these card types correctly they would never consider Southwest Airlines ever. Again.

Dont be afraid of the annual fee. You will always make it back.
    Old 04-18-2018, 06:56 PM   #117
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Mentions AMEX points.

Amex Points (business and personal) then personal legacy carrier cards are in my aresanal

That is the main reason why road warriors like myself dont go with Southwest. Besides the obvious hard product offerings.
    Old 04-18-2018, 07:01 PM   #118
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rodey View Post
    Quote:
    Great card.

I feel if people research and utilize these card types correctly they would never consider Southwest Airlines ever. Again.

Dont be afraid of the annual fee. You will always make it back.
    Yep. Sapphire is great. I know a lot of people that have the Sapphire Reserved. Gotta get in when they do the 80,000 point bonus though.

It's all about the hustle. Thanks to my points, I'm going to Mexico tomorrow confirmed business class, already got a message from Marriott saying they upgraded me to the "Ambassador Suite", etc. Nothing with SW would ever get me that kind of weekend all with comped upgrades.

Anyway, I don't want to derail this thread too much. We can talk all this stuff over in the Traveler's thread.
    Old 04-18-2018, 07:23 PM   #119
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

good god that's a beautiful fucking landing. I think I've had ONE that smooth, but I had my gear.
    Old 04-18-2018, 07:47 PM   #120
    recentlyJTR41
    Boognish

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    usually, yeah, but it's entirely possible they won't be depending on route/day of travel/hundreds of other factors. especially if you're checking bags. southwest's first two bags are free which makes boarding easier for me. i just check my bag and find a seat. don't have to worry about overhead space. If you're flying on anybody else, bag fees can be outrageous. I believe united's first bag is around $40 and then the second is $100? JetBlue is $25/100 I think?

Wait, you don't have actual seat on your ticket?