BTCS vs. Ok Computer - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
View Poll Results: Better Album: Ok Computer vs. BTCS
Before These Crowded Streets 475 81.62%
Ok Computer 107 18.38%
Voters: 582. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-09-2005, 01:06 PM   #61
whatwouldisay

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Re: BTCS vs. Ok Computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyc7
I don't think the comparison is fair just as someone said earlier its apples to oranges.
I hear a lot of people making this point, and I think that it's just wrong. Music is made to be compared, and just because different bands have different sounds doesn't mean that they're incomparable. Discussing these things enhances the listening experience for me at least. The idea that art is wholly subjective or that it isn't fair to the art itself to compare it is just fallacious if you ask me. The problem is when people don't give music a chance because of stereotyped comparisons, but I think that the comparison between these two great albums is perfectly fair, and actually there's quite a bit of similarity between the two anyway.
whatwouldisay is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 05-09-2005, 01:14 PM   #62
    Sax#41

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

its a close one, might need a recount
    Sax#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-09-2005, 01:18 PM   #63
    marlin1805
    Strange Condition

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Not even a contest
    marlin1805 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-09-2005, 01:57 PM   #64
    greenpick41
    No BS in the Studio

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

OK Computer is amazing, but it is just waaaaaaaay too depressing to be put above BTCS.
    Old 05-09-2005, 02:47 PM   #65
    handyc7
    www.randycraig.com

Shows Seen: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by whatwouldisay
    I hear a lot of people making this point, and I think that it's just wrong. Music is made to be compared, and just because different bands have different sounds doesn't mean that they're incomparable. Discussing these things enhances the listening experience for me at least. The idea that art is wholly subjective or that it isn't fair to the art itself to compare it is just fallacious if you ask me. The problem is when people don't give music a chance because of stereotyped comparisons, but I think that the comparison between these two great albums is perfectly fair, and actually there's quite a bit of similarity between the two anyway.
    Sorry but I respectfully disagree about the comparison. Your right that art isn't subjective. Just ask Andy Warhol. A can of soup is considered art. however, how good or bad art is is completely subjective. I personally don't think a can of tomato soup is "good" art, but alot of people did. BTCS or OK Computer, what's better? of course on this website, the far majority are going to say BTCS but it certainly isn't a real objective fucking forum, is it? That's what I mean by not fair. And that's why I reiterate if this poll was done on a Radiohead website, BTCS would not get one vote. I think that tells you the very subtle but huge reach and influence (non-commercial) of Radiohead's OK Computer. And the large part of Radiohead fans are not people who are just liking their music because it's cool to like them or it's intellectual as someone mentioned earlier.
    handyc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-09-2005, 10:06 PM   #66
    SevenMinarets
    Shake-Zula

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

I vote BTCS over OKC, however I like to think that all of Radiohead's albums are just one long strand of greatness.

Quote:
    Originally posted by lzldmb
    Shit man. I want to be just like you if I ever get hit in the head with a 15lbs brick. ;)
    "Begin to ending is really just a go round and round and round..."
    SevenMinarets is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-10-2005, 05:39 AM   #67
    MistreatedLewis

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Do you think Dave Matthews Band makes music for the sake of having it be compared, or do you think they make music because they love making music and having it compared is an unfortunate by-product?
    MistreatedLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-10-2005, 06:39 AM   #68
    illustratedman
    Where's my beer?

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Ahem... "Thom Yorke is a giant douche..." Thank you for your time.

The space allotted here is no longer enough to list the shows I have attended. Just say a shitload.
    illustratedman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-10-2005, 06:58 AM   #69
    MistreatedLewis

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by illustratedman
    Ahem... "Thom Yorke is a giant douche..." Thank you for your time.

Wow. Not cool. I mean you're entitled to your opinion, but he's a genius. Why do you say that?
    Old 05-10-2005, 07:56 AM   #70
    whatwouldisay

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MistreatedLewis
    Do you think Dave Matthews Band makes music for the sake of having it be compared, or do you think they make music because they love making music and having it compared is an unfortunate by-product?
    Of course they make music because they love making music. I didn't mean that the entire purpose of art is as a means of comparison. But the way you stated that was kind of one-sided. It isn't an unfortunate by-product either. It's a natural outgrowth of most art that it breeds discussion and I think this is a good thing. It gives us a better understanding of it and it opens peoples eyes to new things. Maybe somebody around here will take another look at OK Computer now and find something they can really get into, and that's definitely good.
    Old 05-10-2005, 08:09 AM   #71
    MistreatedLewis

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Of course they make music because they love making music. I didn't mean that the entire purpose of art is as a means of comparison. But the way you stated that was kind of one-sided. It isn't an unfortunate by-product either. It's a natural outgrowth of most art that it breeds discussion and I think this is a good thing. It gives us a better understanding of it and it opens peoples eyes to new things. Maybe somebody around here will take another look at OK Computer now and find something they can really get into, and that's definitely good.
    I agree. But I think it is important to criticize and discuss a work in and of itself in addition to comparison, which people forget to do sometimes.

i.e. Stand Up is inferior to BTCS so it sucks.

How about, Stand Up is inferior to BTCS but here are its individual merits...

That was my only point. But I do agree with you.
    Old 05-10-2005, 08:16 AM   #72
    whatwouldisay

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MistreatedLewis
    I agree. But I think it is important to criticize and discuss a work in and of itself in addition to comparison, which people forget to do sometimes.

i.e. Stand Up is inferior to BTCS so it sucks.

How about, Stand Up is inferior to BTCS but here are its individual merits...

That was my only point. But I do agree with you.
    Well as it turns out we are 100% in agreement then. I was kind of thinking that in order to compare anything you have to realize its own merits.
    Old 05-10-2005, 08:21 AM   #73
    MistreatedLewis

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Well as it turns out we are 100% in agreement then. I was kind of thinking that in order to compare anything you have to realize its own merits.

Old 05-10-2005, 09:59 AM   #74
    yankeegirl

Shows Seen: 24

My Tour Central Stats

radiohead and btcs are soo different its hard to compare them but i would go with ok computer because btcs is good but not my favorite dmb album...thier live stuff is way better and as an overall album, ok computer is better becuase it really is more of an experience you have to listen to the whole thing without skipping around
    http://antsmarching.org/forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Last edited by yankeegirl; 05-10-2005 at 10:01 AM.
    yankeegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-10-2005, 10:14 AM   #75
    MistreatedLewis

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by yankeegirl
    radiohead and btcs are soo different its hard to compare them but i would go with ok computer because btcs is good but not my favorite dmb album...thier live stuff is way better and as an overall album, ok computer is better becuase it really is more of an experience you have to listen to the whole thing without skipping around
    http://antsmarching.org/forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Which is your favorite DMB album. I love it when I find people that tell the trend to fuck off!
    Old 05-10-2005, 04:40 PM   #76
    bluwaterbaboon

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by greenpick41
    OK Computer is amazing, but it is just waaaaaaaay too depressing to be put above BTCS.
    blood on the tracks is amazing, but its just waaaaaaay too depressing to be put above BTCS
    bluwaterbaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-10-2005, 08:00 PM   #77
    handyc7
    www.randycraig.com

Shows Seen: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Is there anyone that thinks that UTTAD is their best? back in the day, Crash or BTCS were great but could not top UTTAD for the hardcore fans. THAT ALBUM IS PERFECT.
    handyc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-10-2005, 08:49 PM   #78
    2SteppingInVA
    & down to Carolina

Shows Seen: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DukieShane
    to angry (Last Stop, DDTW)
    Halloween is the angriest song from all that is DMB. I have to go with BTCS, on account of I don't even listen to Radiohead, or the album. I assume that on account of my being a davehead, I'd pick BTCS over any album I've ever heard, and I'm sure there's stuff I've heard better than Radiohead, despite their popularity around here, because while they are good, they are by no means up there with the elite bands of all time. I think BTCS is so amazing not necessarily because of the individual songs, because as far as individual songs that I like to hear live I probably like more from other albums, but the way the album was put together as a whole. All the reprises, and the way it just seems to flow so well together. Nothing flows together so smoothly as Halloween and The Stone, but the whole album just fits perfectly. It also has the most complex and deep lyrics, which makes it great as an album even though other songs are more exciting to hear live.

Last edited by 2SteppingInVA; 05-10-2005 at 08:53 PM.
    2SteppingInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-10-2005, 08:52 PM   #79
    siouxsiesue
    Wide Awake in America

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

i think it's cute that 2 year old threads get bumped when a new album comes out.
    siouxsiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-10-2005, 09:16 PM   #80
    MistreatedLewis

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2SteppingInVA
    Halloween is the angriest song from all that is DMB. I have to go with BTCS, on account of I don't even listen to Radiohead, or the album. I assume that on account of my being a davehead, I'd pick BTCS over any album I've ever heard, and I'm sure there's stuff I've heard better than Radiohead, despite their popularity around here, because while they are good, they are by no means up there with the elite bands of all time. I think BTCS is so amazing not necessarily because of the individual songs, because as far as individual songs that I like to hear live I probably like more from other albums, but the way the album was put together as a whole. All the reprises, and the way it just seems to flow so well together. Nothing flows together so smoothly as Halloween and The Stone, but the whole album just fits perfectly. It also has the most complex and deep lyrics, which makes it great as an album even though other songs are more exciting to hear live.
    I don't see how you could NOT put Radiohead with the elite bands of all time. Behind U2 aren't they the most popular band in the world? And in my opinion, the best, tied with DMB of course.
    Old 05-10-2005, 11:11 PM   #81
    whatwouldisay

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2SteppingInVA
    If you admit that you don't know Radiohead, you can't really comment on them being an elite band. In my opinion they are easily one of the top ten of all time as it stands, and they may even slip into the top 5 when all is said and done. Also, to assume that because you're a DMB fan there's nothing else that can ever be better for you is kind of confining don't you think?
    Old 05-11-2005, 11:53 AM   #82
    bluwaterbaboon

My Tour Central Stats

i'm sorry but dmb is by no means in an elite group as one of the greatest bands of all time, and radiohead has been alot more influencial among GOOD musicians. Also, i agree that BTCS isn't even dmb's best album, i prefer uttad or crash (and if dmb were to play one album in its entirety live i'd want it to be crash).
    Old 05-13-2005, 11:11 AM   #83
    yankeegirl

Shows Seen: 24

My Tour Central Stats

my favorite album would be BS because all the songs really fit well together
    yankeegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-13-2005, 12:37 PM   #84
    lsauotoolouasl

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

i personally like ok computer better
    lsauotoolouasl is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-13-2005, 01:17 PM   #85
    taphntm
    If you're happy, I'm...

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

that's like comparing shoes to sandals. I wouldn't wear shoes at the beach, but when I'm in the mountains I don't wear sandals. If I'm in the mood for it I'll play one or the other. I have to say that BTCS blows ok computer out of the water musically and lyrically, but sometimes I'm not in the mood for loving songs like on BTCS.
    taphntm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-13-2005, 06:13 PM   #86
    MistreatedLewis

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by taphntm
    that's like comparing shoes to sandals. I wouldn't wear shoes at the beach, but when I'm in the mountains I don't wear sandals. If I'm in the mood for it I'll play one or the other. I have to say that BTCS blows ok computer out of the water musically and lyrically, but sometimes I'm not in the mood for loving songs like on BTCS.

BTCS blows OK Computer out of the water musically and lyrically? Really?

I am just curious, but what would you say the best album of the 90s not by DMB is. And how close behind BTCS would you put it?
    Old 05-13-2005, 09:31 PM   #87
    bluwaterbaboon

My Tour Central Stats

and how is btcs better lyrically than ok computer?

Up above
    aliens hover
    making home movies
    for the folks back home,
    of all these weird creatures
    who lock up their spirits,
    drill holes in themselves
    and live for their secrets

vs.

makes me wanna makes me wanna
    stay
    stay
    don't it make you wanna don't it make you wanna
    stay

just one example, but how can you possibly say that thom's lyrics arent just as good if not better than dave's
    Old 05-13-2005, 09:38 PM   #88
    2SteppingInVA
    & down to Carolina

Shows Seen: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    If you admit that you don't know Radiohead, you can't really comment on them being an elite band. In my opinion they are easily one of the top ten of all time as it stands, and they may even slip into the top 5 when all is said and done. Also, to assume that because you're a DMB fan there's nothing else that can ever be better for you is kind of confining don't you think?
    I know a little about Radiohead as a band, but I don't know their music. I'm not even talking about my personal opinion, but in general you don't hear them considered as one of the elite bands of all time. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't hear them talked about when you talk about great bands, not to say they aren't, but that's just the feeling I get. But true, I don't know Radiohead. That's why I wasn't putting forth an opinion, just an observation.
    2SteppingInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-13-2005, 09:48 PM   #89
    winterscold
    Here, here

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bluwaterbaboon

Up above
    aliens hover
    making home movies
    for the folks back home,

vs.

stay
    stay
    stay

just one example, but how can you possibly say that thom's lyrics arent just as good if not better than dave's
    you made a good point, comparing an amazing verse to a crappy chorus. You should've compared Spoon, Pig, The Stone, or something better than Stay. I still voted OKC
    Old 05-13-2005, 09:53 PM   #90
    greenpick41
    No BS in the Studio

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bluwaterbaboon

Up above
    aliens hover
    making home movies
    for the folks back home,

vs.

stay
    stay
    stay

First of all, no. Second of all, you should have compared that to these lyrics:

don't drink the water
    don't drink the water, there's
    blood in the water
    don't drink the water