News on DMB's new album? - Page 10 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 09-21-2017, 06:09 AM   #271
dpduke5173

Shows Seen: 96

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Re: News on DMB's new album?

Boyd is widely inconsistent these days with his sound/energy but you have to admit he made a hell of a comeback in 2015 after the surgery in early 14.The LIOG solo's were the best they've been since Roi was around and his fills were back to being loud and clear in Crush for example. Still don't understand the muting. He should have two volume settings: fills and full on solo not muted.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-21-2017, 06:21 AM   #272
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

He was on fire to open last summer then trailed off heavily.. have to wonder if he re-aggravated the injury

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2017, 06:23 AM   #273
    ericvol

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

So back to album timeline. Just because Boyd says we will record in 2018 doesn't mean they won't still get together this October/November and spend some time finalizing all the ideas and possibly deciding on which set of songs they are going to focus on when they go into the studio to record for real.

I could see a week or two in October/November band getting together fleshing out new Dave and Carter ideas and deciding which of those needs to be added to the mix and practicing/perfecting all the other songs they are considering.

Then going into studio after the holidays in January to WORK on the recording process.

Then we have and album release and tour in the March/April months.
    Old 09-21-2017, 06:42 AM   #274
    garagebrothers

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH View Post
    I think it was Copperpot's Gorge N3 I was watching on YouTube where it seemed very obvious to me that whatever connection Boyd had with Dave and the rest of the gang is not there anymore. There were a couple times he soloed where they practically ignored him. In fact I think it was his LIOG solo where he stood right in front of Stefan who didn't look at him once.

Unfortunately I think we've lost Boyd at this point. He'll always be there, and he'll still play his staple solos, but between him being muted half the time, which is still mind blowing to me, and what seems like disinterest in him from the other members, he'll never be the guy we watched and loved years ago. To me the decline happened after Roi died. Having met him and witnessing his weird Narnia Twitter fantasy, and then things like kissing Dave after the C-ville show last year, it just seems like he's out in left field these days. I still don't think it's necessary to mute him the way they do, but it is what it is. I've heard him muted on tapes and then hear the same song on a Live Trax and he sounds fine, so I just don't get it. I know he has had issues with the carpal tunnel, but I just don't believe it constitutes him being muted all the time. I saw him with Crystal Garden earlier this year and he sounded great.

I expect very little from Boyd on the next studio album. At this point DMB is a rock band with a horn section featuring Boyd Tinsley on violin from time to time. But gone are the days of stage right and stage left coming together in harmony and making great music together. That left the band with Leroi Moore. What sucks is that the first handful of shows in 2016 showcased Boyd, and it sounded like he made a resurgence. He wasn't being muted and he was absolutely killing it. They even added a violin solo into Break Free the first time they played it last year, and then it was gone after that. Then by the end of June he was back to being nothing but a dude in the shadows coming out for a solo once in a while. We miss you Boyd.
    That was the exact show I was referring to. My gf & I were dead center about 15 feet back in the pit that show. You could tell that they just didn't give a shit about Boyd. There were even times (I think during Ants) where it seemed like Dave and/or Carter were laughing at/making fun of BT.
    garagebrothers is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2017, 06:44 AM   #275
    BTCS_JTR
    The Wilpon's are gone!

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Occasionally there's a DMB thread on PT, and someone posted in it last week or so saying that they enjoy Boyd's skrees.
    Old 09-21-2017, 08:08 AM   #276
    RainDog1980

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chrisjuniper View Post
    I don't think "people" are saying that. I think one or two are but the rest seem to just think he lost interest in the band. And it's not true, Boyd has plenty of ability, not really sure how you could argue otherwise...
    From a technical standpoint, he is not a great musician. His solos are repetitive, and do not incorporate a wide range of dynamics or even scales.

Tim and Butch are examples of musicians with plenty of ability. Boyd can play the violin, yes. But not consistently, and in studio requires many takes.

I thought he sounded great and loved his contributions on Away From The World. I'm not slamming him, but he is an intermediate musician that got very lucky.
    RainDog1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2017, 10:19 AM   #277
    kmb40oz

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

I always equate Boyd to Clarence Clemons of the Springsteen's B Streat Band. Towards the end of his career, Clemons was more of a "caricature" of himself and added more to the band simply by his presence and not his actual talent. I feel this is the case with Boyd, when he's doing a solo on Jimi Thing or #41 and dancing on the stage, he is added more to the song simply be being there.
    Old 09-21-2017, 02:55 PM   #278
    #41Tom

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I don't think "people" are saying that. I think one or two are but the rest seem to just think he lost interest in the band. And it's not true, Boyd has plenty of ability, not really sure how you could argue otherwise...
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RainDog1980 View Post
    From a technical standpoint, he is not a great musician. His solos are repetitive, and do not incorporate a wide range of dynamics or even scales.

Tim and Butch are examples of musicians with plenty of ability. Boyd can play the violin, yes. But not consistently, and in studio requires many takes.

I thought he sounded great and loved his contributions on Away From The World. I'm not slamming him, but he is an intermediate musician that got very lucky.
    Yep RainDog has it right. I remember reading somewhere that Lillywhite had a lot of trouble with Boyd getting his lines down in the studio. Why would they need the Kronos Quartet for BTCS if Boyd was world class? There'd be tonnes and tonnes of takes, and eventually he'd get a great one and they'd keep it. Tim is a virtuoso, I'd say probably Jeff is as well. Carter was/is in the top 50 drummers, maybe top 30-20 depending on your metric. Dave, I have absolutely no idea in terms of songwriting, and guitar playing, just because he's so different. Fonz is a good bassist, what the band needs. Boyd can play the violin, but anyone in a decent orchestra would be able to recognize that he is not technically proficient, anyone with much music theory would be able to recognize he is not massively musically-proficient (compared to the likes of Tim / Roi / Jeff / [insert other world-class musos here]). Of course he can play the violin, but mentioning the words "world class" and "Boyd" in the same sentence was what I was challenging
    And the end of the world."
    #41Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-23-2017, 04:38 AM   #279
    vaxarado

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Probable that they were simply practicing for tomorrow night but Stefan posted a picture last night on IG of them all at Haunted Hollow.
    Old 09-23-2017, 05:36 AM   #280
    chrisjuniper

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by #41Tom View Post
    Yep RainDog has it right. I remember reading somewhere that Lillywhite had a lot of trouble with Boyd getting his lines down in the studio. Why would they need the Kronos Quartet for BTCS if Boyd was world class? There'd be tonnes and tonnes of takes, and eventually he'd get a great one and they'd keep it. Tim is a virtuoso, I'd say probably Jeff is as well. Carter was/is in the top 50 drummers, maybe top 30-20 depending on your metric. Dave, I have absolutely no idea in terms of songwriting, and guitar playing, just because he's so different. Fonz is a good bassist, what the band needs. Boyd can play the violin, but anyone in a decent orchestra would be able to recognize that he is not technically proficient, anyone with much music theory would be able to recognize he is not massively musically-proficient (compared to the likes of Tim / Roi / Jeff / [insert other world-class musos here]). Of course he can play the violin, but mentioning the words "world class" and "Boyd" in the same sentence was what I was challenging

Alright you win, fair enough. Pardon me for getting lost in old LIOG and Seek Up solos.
    chrisjuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-23-2017, 09:00 AM   #281
    FeelingGood
    Much better now....

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Seeing Stefan's post from Haunted Hollow (I realize they are rehearsing for c-ville) this morning and Dave's interview with Charlie Rose is making me think that a new album coming early next year could be more realistic than not.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Old 09-23-2017, 02:33 PM   #282
    smb41

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Could this tweet be in reference to new DMB music? https://twitter.com/SLessard/status/910717630616621056

Also, are they in a studio in this picture? https://twitter.com/SLessard/status/911471582689849345
    smb41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-23-2017, 03:24 PM   #283
    #41Tom

My Tour Central Stats

people seem to think so...
    Old 09-23-2017, 04:50 PM   #284
    #41Tom

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Alright you win, fair enough. Pardon me for getting lost in old LIOG and Seek Up solos.
    as I said, he fits (or at least did fit) with the band's sound, which is why Seek Up / LIOG solos are (or were) freaking awesome because it's exactly what the band needed. But in terms purely as a musician, he's not the greatest by any stretch. He has arguably fit the band's sound less recently because of his ailment and lack of desire to take lessons and improve like Fonz - or whatever reason... and so recently his inexpert-ness has become more apparent.
    Old 11-14-2017, 06:44 AM   #285
    ericvol

My Tour Central Stats

If Dave's timeline of them getting together in the Fall and releasing something early next year is true then we should start hearing about some studio work soon right?

I see the Super Bowl pre concert announcement and that makes me think they'll be trying to support at least a single by then you'd think?

Seems like something they would do during an album year and to support being back on the road.

So maybe album news information in Jan, with a single drop in Feb and album in late March Early April and spring tour?

IS that too ambitious?

I need to get some new studio DMB in my ears!
    Old 11-14-2017, 06:48 AM   #286
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ericvol View Post
    If Dave's timeline of them getting together in the Fall and releasing something early next year is true then we should start hearing about some studio work soon right?

I see the Super Bowl pre concert announcement and that makes me think they'll be trying to support at least a single by then you'd think?

Seems like something they would do during an album year and to support being back on the road.

So maybe album news information in Jan, with a single drop in Feb and album in late March Early April and spring tour?

IS that too ambitious?

Hard to say, but I doubt the superbowl show has anything to do with an album, they did the pre-SB show in SF having nothing to do with an album release.

Just a complete guess on my end, but Ill be surprised if we see an album before June at earliest.

Quote:
    Old 11-14-2017, 06:50 AM   #287
    drop2d

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

IS that too ambitious?

I'm not sure what in recent history with this band would give you that indication. They've played plenty of 'big' shows (including opening night for the NFL) with no single needing support.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drakan View Post
    Cuomo for president.
    drop2d is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-14-2017, 06:50 AM   #288
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

IS that too ambitious?

Your scenario is possible but not likely IMO.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a new song at the Super Bowl show. They may play the full band debut of "Do You Remember"

I think if it's close to ready the timeline might be like this:

January: Tour dates
    February: New song at Super Bowl
    April: Album news/single release
    May: Tour begins
    June or July: Album drop
    dontdrink36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-14-2017, 07:12 AM   #289
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontdrink36 View Post
    Your scenario is possible but not likely IMO.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a new song at the Super Bowl show. They may play the full band debut of "Do You Remember"

I think if it's close to ready the timeline might be like this:

January: Tour dates
    February: New song at Super Bowl
    April: Album news/single release
    May: Tour begins
    June or July: Album drop
    Ah yes, the infamous Big Whiskey release template that's been recycled around here every year for the last 7 years.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-14-2017, 09:22 AM   #290
    ericvol

My Tour Central Stats

I just don't understand why they said they were going to be recording this fall if they aren't planning a release till summer.

I think you'd have an album out in April/May at latest if they are doing any recording at all right now.
    Old 11-14-2017, 09:43 AM   #291
    Aforauer

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

I wish we had some reassurance that this thing is in the works and will be released shortly. I know Dave said himself early 2018, but times ticking.
    Aforauer is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-14-2017, 10:06 AM   #292
    stlbluespower
    DMB 2012

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

[QUOTE=smb41;16889824]Could this tweet be in reference to new DMB music? https://twitter.com/SLessard/status/...16621056/QUOTE]

two album title candidates right there: "The Stew is Getting Tasty" or "I'm liking what is in the Pot".
    stlbluespower is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-14-2017, 10:31 AM   #293
    vaxarado

Shows Seen: 49

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I just don't understand why they said they were going to be recording this fall if they aren't planning a release till summer.

I think you'd have an album out in April/May at latest if they are doing any recording at all right now.
    Regarding this, Big Whiskey was delayed so spring isn't out of the question.
    Old 11-14-2017, 10:40 AM   #294
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

From what we know theyve already recorded some stuff as far back as 2 years ago.

Recording time frame has really no bearing on an album release.

Quote:
    Old 11-14-2017, 02:07 PM   #295
    Dodo36

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

I'm hopeful, but will be unsurprised when nothing comes of this. How many times have we been told 'we're working on an album' or 'an album's on the way' since '06 and nothing happens? I still check in on DMB from time to time, and if an album gets closer to being concrete I'll be back in 110%, but until then it's like they're playing tiddlywinks with my emotions. Best to take a pro-active wait-and-see approach.

Into Prince? Check out my blog on Prince's full discography, including the side projects.
    https://Listen2Prince.blogspot.com
    Dodo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-14-2017, 02:29 PM   #296
    1yankeesfan

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

At this point I think I've forgotten what studio DMB sounds like.

Really?
    1yankeesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-14-2017, 04:40 PM   #297
    #41Tom

My Tour Central Stats

As long as they come to Europe, I don't mind what happens. I'd have some preference on no studio album so that the existing songs aren't diluted any further, but I'm fairly easy. Just Europe. ;D
    Old 11-14-2017, 07:17 PM   #298
    Stevie Wanders

Shows Seen: 55

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smb41 View Post
    Could this tweet be in reference to new DMB music? https://twitter.com/SLessard/status/910717630616621056

Also, are they in a studio in this picture? https://twitter.com/SLessard/status/911471582689849345
    No, this was in reference to the VA shows and getting back with the boys again to prep for those shows.
    Stevie Wanders is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-15-2017, 06:18 AM   #299
    Simm0nS

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dodo36 View Post
    I'm hopeful, but will be unsurprised when nothing comes of this. How many times have we been told 'we're working on an album' or 'an album's on the way' since '06 and nothing happens? I still check in on DMB from time to time, and if an album gets closer to being concrete I'll be back in 110%, but until then it's like they're playing tiddlywinks with my emotions. Best to take a pro-active wait-and-see approach.
    Well they had an album in 2009 and 2012 so there’s that....

2024 - Blossom, Camden N1 & N2
    Simm0nS is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-15-2017, 07:00 AM   #300
    Gene Parmesan

Shows Seen: 75

My Tour Central Stats

Plus the longest gap in album release's at this point and the band is still together, makes a release feel a little more imminent.
    Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote