News on DMB's new album? - Page 4 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 04-22-2016, 12:40 PM   #91
RJBorg41

Shows Seen: 82

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Re: News on DMB's new album?

Seriously timsherry that was hilarious!!!!!!

Bruce W. I don't know I just kind of have that gut feeling that they know they are stale in the studio and there is no reason or desire to get anything done anytime soon. I feel like this is and has to be a multi year break. Throughout the last several years there is one thing I have noticed about this band. It feels like DMB is running like a business and not like a band. There is nothing indicating this is a band of guys who are trying to push boundaries and be creative.
RJBorg41 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 04-22-2016, 02:18 PM   #92
    DMB1983

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
    It's just the CD cut to vinyl, you should frame it and put it on your wall just for the sake of it!

Yeah that was pretty weird, only 10 shows or something like that. BUT...at least they recorded the entire album being played live at Sony Studios in LA and released it on Blu-ray so we all got to experience that tiny unique show they did in our living rooms.

It's a great disc, lots of replay value. Midnight is really good.

The biggest band in history of course, The Beatles!!!!

No touring for Peppers, The Beatles, Abbey Road or Let It Be.

That said I agree with your assessment and think it's highly unlikely we'll get an album of NEW songs until we're within a few months of another tour. But an album of old songs?
    I just like using the record player. I'm not an idiot. It's just a novelty thing. I don't want to listen to the CD of it. I don't even own the CD. I don't want to listen to the mp3 or stream. I want to listen to it on vinyl on my record player. It's unfortunate that DMB doesn't have more options to listen to on vinyl, and that all 3 are cut from digital masters, but when I'm craving some DMB, and I want to use my record player, and I only have 3 choices, one being AFTW, it's kind of limited. Therefore, I enjoy listening to it the 3 times a year that actually happens since 2012.

Last edited by DMB1983; 04-22-2016 at 02:20 PM.
    DMB1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-23-2016, 07:45 AM   #93
    jaymas9

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TwoStep01 View Post
    I didn't take it that way. I'm pretty sure when Dave says they'll eventually release an album "for whatever reason people still do that" he's referring to changes within the music industry that have de-emphasized the traditional album release. Now that everything is downloaded a la carte (and often for free) there's just less importance placed on the album as a singular work of art.

Dave is just acknowledging a shift in pop culture, not dissing fans. Especially when you consider that there are literally hundreds of live recordings of this band free for download out there. Want to hear a song? Grab a torrent and be on your merry way.

That said, I really do hope we get a new album sometime. Some of us are still old school like that.
    How have album releases been de-emphasized? A lot of my favorite bands release albums all the time and at a much faster clip than the dmb...old and new artists alike.

Also, I don't know what world you're living in...but downloading music for free is a pop culture phenomenon of a long time ago. Streaming services like spotify give us access to thousands of artists who may never have been able to make it big in the archaic traditional model, but guess what...they release albums just like the old days. Do people more easily listen to single songs? Absolutely, but that doesn't stop bands from releasing new material as albums. Dave's completely out of touch here.

And the torrent argument doesn't hold up. What torrent are you grabbing that has new, great material by the band. The point is, that comment says to me he's really not taking seriously the idea of releasing new music they believe in...it's more of a "ehhh whatever" attitude and like I said, it's out of touch.
    Old 04-23-2016, 07:48 AM   #94
    jaymas9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RJBorg41 View Post
    Seriously timsherry that was hilarious!!!!!!

Bruce W. I don't know I just kind of have that gut feeling that they know they are stale in the studio and there is no reason or desire to get anything done anytime soon. I feel like this is and has to be a multi year break. Throughout the last several years there is one thing I have noticed about this band. It feels like DMB is running like a business and not like a band. There is nothing indicating this is a band of guys who are trying to push boundaries and be creative.
    I would agree that's how it seems. But I'd love to be proven wrong.
    Old 04-23-2016, 09:22 AM   #95
    RainDog1980

Shows Seen: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coldengrey12 View Post
    No, but you have to admit, for a band as known for its live performances as DMB, that would be a strange move.

Daft Punk. Bowie. Tom Waits.
    REM didn't tour behind some of their biggest albums, Out of Time and Automatic for the People being some of them.
    RainDog1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-24-2016, 01:22 AM   #96
    TwoStep01

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jaymas9 View Post
    How have album releases been de-emphasized? A lot of my favorite bands release albums all the time and at a much faster clip than the dmb...old and new artists alike.

Also, I don't know what world you're living in...but downloading music for free is a pop culture phenomenon of a long time ago. Streaming services like spotify give us access to thousands of artists who may never have been able to make it big in the archaic traditional model, but guess what...they release albums just like the old days. Do people more easily listen to single songs? Absolutely, but that doesn't stop bands from releasing new material as albums. Dave's completely out of touch here.

And the torrent argument doesn't hold up. What torrent are you grabbing that has new, great material by the band. The point is, that comment says to me he's really not taking seriously the idea of releasing new music they believe in...it's more of a "ehhh whatever" attitude and like I said, it's out of touch.

Umm, yeah, cuz free downloading is totally a thing of the past. No one does that anymore

Point being, go back 15-20 years ago and a traditional album release through a label was pretty much the only way to get music out to the masses. Now we have streaming services and the ability to download anything you want a la carte. Which has been been fantastic for fans to be able to pick and choose what they want. It has also, to some extent, de-valued the traditional album as a mandatory vessel for music distribution.

As an example, last year Beck released "Dreams" as a one off single that got considerable radio play without being a part of any album.

So yes, while most bands do still release albums of material, it has become less essential to do so. Especially for a band like DMB that has always been more of a live band, has always introduced new material on tour, and has always allowed for the free distribution of that live material. Maybe you're not crazy about songs like VITR, DOTHS, or B&BB, but they are available for download. And if you aren't into those songs, chances are you weren't going to like them any better on an album anyway.

Personally, I'm in the "damn, I really wish there was a new album" camp, but if Dave wants to acknowledge the reality that an album isn't necessarily essential anymore I'm not going to get all pissy about it. This band has clearly given all of us enough enjoyment to inspire us to take to the Internet to argue with strangers about their every move. As far as I'm concerned, they don't "owe" us another album if they aren't feeling it, as much as I hope it does eventually see the light of day.
    2001:Gorge x3; 2002:Gorge x3; 2003:Gorge x2; 2014:Chula Vista; 2015:Irvine; 2016:Chula Vista, Irvine; 2018:Atlanta, Mtn. View; 2021:Irvine x2; 2022: Chula Vista, Hollywood Bowl x2; 2023:Irvine x2;
    TwoStep01 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-24-2016, 11:22 AM   #97
    Vastar78

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

BREAKING NEWS: The new album is going to drop on June 31st!!!!!
    Vastar78 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-24-2016, 12:06 PM   #98
    c33dmb

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Whatchu talkin' bout Willis
    Old 04-24-2016, 12:34 PM   #99
    #41Tom

Shows Seen: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vastar78 View Post
    breaking news: The new album is going to drop on june 31st!!!!!
    ??? 5678
    And the end of the world."
    #41Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-24-2016, 12:57 PM   #100
    BigEyedIdiot

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vastar78 View Post
    BREAKING NEWS: The new album is going to drop on June 31st!!!!!
    Very interesting indeed, especially seeing how there is only 30 days in June. There is no album. Recording pieces for three years does not equal an album. We won't be seeing anything this year.
    BigEyedIdiot is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-24-2016, 01:45 PM   #101
    Vastar78

Shows Seen: 34

My Tour Central Stats

June 31st was the joke BigEyedIdiot
    Vastar78 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-24-2016, 01:58 PM   #102
    #41Tom

My Tour Central Stats

haha. good one.
    And the end of the world."
    #41Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-24-2016, 03:47 PM   #103
    Orpheus
    Empty set

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

I wish they would just start releasing things from the vault. Or, start making EP's or releasing individually-produced tracks here and there.

I genuinely wonder if there's a whole lot more tension inside that band than we realize. I feel like there must be two or three voices pushing for perfectionism, with different ideas of what constitutes that perfection.

That, or the way the way the money's being split-up amongst them is in debate, so every time they discuss releasing new music, it dissolves into a uncomfortable silence.

Something's going on. I just wish I knew what.
    Orpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-24-2016, 11:07 PM   #104
    TwoStep01

Shows Seen: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
    I wish they would just start releasing things from the vault. Or, start making EP's or releasing individually-produced tracks here and there.

I genuinely wonder if there's a whole lot more tension inside that band than we realize. I feel like there must be two or three voices pushing for perfectionism, with different ideas of what constitutes that perfection.

That, or the way the way the money's being split-up amongst them is in debate, so every time they discuss releasing new music, it dissolves into a uncomfortable silence.

I'm guessing some combination of perfectionism and writers block. Can be a nasty 1-2 punch.
    2001:Gorge x3; 2002:Gorge x3; 2003:Gorge x2; 2014:Chula Vista; 2015:Irvine; 2016:Chula Vista, Irvine; 2018:Atlanta, Mtn. View; 2021:Irvine x2; 2022: Chula Vista, Hollywood Bowl x2; 2023:Irvine x2;
    TwoStep01 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-24-2016, 11:10 PM   #105
    mHeiser92

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vastar78 View Post
    June 31st was the joke BigEyedIdiot
    Swing and a miss

Edit: I'll see myself out. Quoted the wrong post, didn't read. Bye

Last edited by mHeiser92; 04-24-2016 at 11:11 PM.
    mHeiser92 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-26-2016, 11:54 AM   #106
    RJBorg41

Shows Seen: 82

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post

Yeah there is something going on. However I think they need this long overdue break regardless of the state of band. I feel they should take a break at least 2-3 years. They all need to do there own thing and figure out whether they want or can make great music together. Its clear everyone seems more into and invested in there side projects than making a DMB album. I have been a fan of these guys since 1994, so it pains me to say "I think they are done". If not now its right around the corner. The only thing that can help is a break for them to reflect what they want to do as musicians and artists.

Dave - Is clearly stubborn and the band is going to run the way he wants it to whether it's with setlist for shows, releasing a B-side album, making a new album, pushing boundaries etc etc. He is 50% business man, 45% musician,
    5% artist.

Carter - I feel he is as stubborn as Dave and I can actually see him being very hard to work with. I feel he is 50/50 business man/musician.

Boyd - is on a magical mystery ride of life and music and all the other far out shit he enjoys or sees whether awkward hugs to jamming with jam bands. Good for you Boyd!!!!! We know it hit you hard when Leroi died. I feel he got out of his funk and now is getting back to himself. 100% artist/musician.

Stefan - he is actually is the next one I could see leaving this band. I think he is almost to the point where he is sick of the shit from Dave and is ready to move on and do something more his style. He seems to be the only one in the band we hear that is critical with some of the stuff Dave does. Its too bad because I feel he is the most creative in this band (Leroi was before his death)
    He is 85% artist/musician 15% business.

Lastly the one complaint we have always heard about this band especially in the studio is that they are lazy. Even if that claim is half true. At this point in there careers, I can't see them making anything spectacular yet alone good coming out of this band on an album.
    RJBorg41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-26-2016, 12:29 PM   #107
    timsherry

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Jesus people. The band is fine
    timsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-26-2016, 12:39 PM   #108
    Hilly

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by timsherry View Post
    I simply LOVE this site.
    Old 04-26-2016, 12:59 PM   #109
    timsherry

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hilly View Post
    I simply LOVE this site.

Comical to read the things people post at times
    timsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-26-2016, 01:04 PM   #110
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yeah there is something going on. However I think they need this long overdue break regardless of the state of band. I feel they should take a break at least 2-3 years. They all need to do there own thing and figure out whether they want or can make great music together. Its clear everyone seems more into and invested in there side projects than making a DMB album. I have been a fan of these guys since 1994, so it pains me to say "I think they are done". If not now its right around the corner. The only thing that can help is a break for them to reflect what they want to do as musicians and artists.

Dave - Is clearly stubborn and the band is going to run the way he wants it to whether it's with setlist for shows, releasing a B-side album, making a new album, pushing boundaries etc etc. He is 50% business man, 45% musician,
    5% artist.

Carter - I feel he is as stubborn as Dave and I can actually see him being very hard to work with. I feel he is 50/50 business man/musician.

Boyd - is on a magical mystery ride of life and music and all the other far out shit he enjoys or sees whether awkward hugs to jamming with jam bands. Good for you Boyd!!!!! We know it hit you hard when Leroi died. I feel he got out of his funk and now is getting back to himself. 100% artist/musician.

Stefan - he is actually is the next one I could see leaving this band. I think he is almost to the point where he is sick of the shit from Dave and is ready to move on and do something more his style. He seems to be the only one in the band we hear that is critical with some of the stuff Dave does. Its too bad because I feel he is the most creative in this band (Leroi was before his death)

Lastly the one complaint we have always heard about this band especially in the studio is that they are lazy. Even if that claim is half true. At this point in there careers, I can't see them making anything spectacular yet alone good coming out of this band on an album.
    Agreed with your first paragraph and while your other point are purely speculation, none of that would surprise me.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by timsherry View Post
    Why is it so hard for some people to wrap their mind around a band finally reaching an end point, or at least a halt, after 25 straight years and no breaks?

These guys all have pretty young families and different interests outside DMB these days. Outside of some side projects here and there, this is all these guys have done for 25 years. As much as I still enjoy new music from the band, the creativity certainly doesn't seem to be what it used to be. A key member of the band died. Another key member has been out wandering the woods of Narnia for the past 6 years or so (even though last year Boyd did start to sound a bit more like Boyd). I think it was always an underlying feeling that this would one day run it's course for Tim, as he doesn't seem to be the type that stays in one place creatively for too long. Stefan has shown his dissatisfaction with the band and his annoyance with the fans from time to time on social media. I don't know, I wish I could be a fly on the wall, but things definitely don't seem to be what they used to be and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they called it quits after this tour.

I think they should have taken a break back in 2000 or 2007.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-26-2016, 01:05 PM   #111
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Something is indeed going on. The new stuff they made wasn't any good. They probably realized that and scrapped it.

I don't know why, after all these years, people still think that every time they enter a studio they will come out of it with an album.
    Old 04-27-2016, 07:26 AM   #112
    Noles20
    Go Birds!

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    Something is indeed going on. The new stuff they made wasn't any good. They probably realized that and scrapped it.

I don't know why, after all these years, people still think that every time they enter a studio they will come out of it with an album.
    I think people are hopeful and when we hear they are in the studio, we are hoping for something new. We want something to look forward to.
    Old 04-27-2016, 07:28 AM   #113
    redroom

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

5% artist.

This sounds like the opposite of what i think.

Stefan creative? Hunger for Great Light. - Terrible
    Carter agrees with anything people say, the dude is a yes man, happy and smiling all the time.
    Boyd just goes with the flow
    Rashawn probably has the most influence on Dave.
    Dave probably just gets bored with old tunes, wants to create something new, hence getting new tunes on albums.

They are all old. This is why they don't feel like touring all the time and continuing the grind. They are probably just tired, need a break. Nothing has to be going on.

People saying Dave is out of touch with fans is nonsense. He probably just doesn't care what people want and doesn't feel the need to accommodate everyone's wish, cause someone will always want something else.
    redroom is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-27-2016, 07:30 AM   #114
    aparker507

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Like I said before, the album was done in December of 2014. They were going to the mixing and mastering stage. Something happened apparently. Either it was scrapped or they're waiting to release it.
    Old 04-27-2016, 07:31 AM   #115
    redroom

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Noles20 View Post
    I think people are hopeful and when we hear they are in the studio, we are hoping for something new. We want something to look forward to.
    Agree. and for the people who say they don't want a new album, that is just stupid.

How many times can you hear a 20 min version of Jimithing or Watchtower or Halloween. Does that really get you excited? They didn't have a new album last year and look at the setlists. That is what you want again? New new new, in my opinion.
    redroom is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-27-2016, 07:49 AM   #116
    BruceW

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aparker507 View Post
    Like I said before, the album was done in December of 2014. They were going to the mixing and mastering stage. Something happened apparently. Either it was scrapped or they're waiting to release it.
    I'm glad they scrapped it or are taking more time to work on it. The songs just didn't work. B&BB was the only 'finished' product. Be Yourself had good music, but Lord have mercy those lyrics....and Ladies...ugh. The others had decent lyrics, but didn't really work well live. They may have sounded much better on an album.

Either way, I'm in no hurry to get a new DMB album. I love hearing new stuff, but it's worthless if it's not very good and doesn't work live. Stand Up songs didn't work in the studio, but some work well live. Several AFTW songs work well in the studio and not so much live. That's not who DMB is. Kill it this summer tour and worry about the album later.

Last edited by BruceW; 04-27-2016 at 07:50 AM.
    BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-27-2016, 07:56 AM   #117
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
    I'm glad they scrapped it or are taking more time to work on it. The songs just didn't work. B&BB was the only 'finished' product. Be Yourself had good music, but Lord have mercy those lyrics....and Ladies...ugh. The others had decent lyrics, but didn't really work well live. They may have sounded much better on an album.

Either way, I'm in no hurry to get a new DMB album. I love hearing new stuff, but it's worthless if it's not very good and doesn't work live. Stand Up songs didn't work in the studio, but some work well live. Several AFTW songs work well in the studio and not so much live. That's not who DMB is. Kill it this summer tour and worry about the album later.
    Yep thats where Im at. Focus this summer on getting creative and pulling stuff out, not on playing new album songs 35% of every show.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-27-2016, 07:56 AM   #118
    Mr. Pineapple

My Tour Central Stats

I'd still rather hear all the staples for the umpteenth time over any of the new tunes from last year, I'm sad to say. I'd even settle with a little more heavier rotation of some of the AFTW tunes like Drunken Soldier, Broken Things, and Snow Outside. But that's just either me talkin', or the bowl of pea soup I had with dinner last night. You be the judge.
    I blew out my flip-flop. Passed a lil jagged rock./But it's a real beauty, a calcified cutie. How it got here, I haven't a clue. Tailgatin' away again in Pastramiville. Searchin' for my lost bottle of Tums. Some people think that there's the heartburn to blame. But I know. It's all Wegmans fault.

Last edited by Mr. Pineapple; 04-27-2016 at 07:57 AM.
    Mr. Pineapple is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-27-2016, 08:11 AM   #119
    onetwothree

Shows Seen: 1

My Tour Central Stats

I'd like a new album but none of the new songs grabbed me the way other new stuff did. I didn't like be your self at all.

If they took a year off from touring but focused on making a quality album and it comes out before the start of the 18 tour, I wouldn't mind it.
    onetwothree is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-27-2016, 08:15 AM   #120
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by redroom View Post
    Agree. and for the people who say they don't want a new album, that is just stupid.

How many times can you hear a 20 min version of Jimithing or Watchtower or Halloween. Does that really get you excited? They didn't have a new album last year and look at the setlists. That is what you want again? New new new, in my opinion.

I'd rather have Jimi Thing than Be Yourself (and I hate Jimi Thing), and I'd much rather have Watchtower and Halloween than any of the new songs.

Basically, I'd rather hear good songs than bad songs. I don't want to hear a terrible song just because it's new.

I only want a new album if it's going to be good, and if the songs from last year are any indication, it won't be. So leave it on the shelf.

If they bust out some great new songs this tour, that will get me wanting a new album.

Last edited by ExistenceNow; 04-27-2016 at 08:16 AM.
    ExistenceNow is offline   Reply With Quote