Bonus Disk Tracklist - Page 5 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion > Away From The World
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 08-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #121
westwingjl

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Bonus Disk Tracklist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotlightEyes View Post
Last I checked an 8 track disc consists of 8 songs, not 5.

There isn't much excuse for picking 5 good tracks (even though their version choice is terrible, I'll forget that for a minute) and 3 throwaway tracks.
Wait, what? Oh my god, I forgot numbers for a second there. Wow, my bad.

I guess the lesson here is that no matter what happens, someone will always complain about it.

Doesn't really bother me though, because quite frankly, I'm happy with this bonus disc either way
westwingjl is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 08-07-2012, 10:23 PM   #122
    LAA1305

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kingofkings View Post
    imo bonus should be unique, special, something you wouldnt guess. like your buying this disk, and as a bonus we are giving you rarely played songs that sound great from the 2012 tour. iam not saying the disk is horrible, like i said in my original post, thank heaven for the tapers.
    Right, but what would be unique about this summer tour? Sure, they could have trown in Dreaming Tree or Typical, but Save Me had never been played full band until this summer, so that song probably makes the most sense for being on there.

Halloween >> Billies became a "thing" this summer and people loved it (at first at least) so that makes sense.

Improv>>Why I Am was something new and different this summer, so that makes sense.

You Never Know had been played less than 25 times since 2003 after making its debut in '02, but then showed up quite a bit this summer.

And there's no such thing as a bad live version of Two Step so that's fine.

Sure you can complain about Jimi Thing and Time Bomb, and I'll even understand where you're coming from, but these 8 tracks are a very good representation of what this summer tour has been about in my opinion.
    LAA1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-08-2012, 06:00 AM   #123
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mmish84 View Post
    what do you mean by "notably better dynamics"
    The dynamics on all the Live Trax series, DMB Live releases, bonus discs, etc., have been pretty piss poor going back to around 2001. Finally around 2009, which happens to be around the time I started pleading with RLM to stop mastering everything so loudly after hearing how fucking AWFUL the CD of Big Whiskey sounded, it started to get better. The 1994 Tampa DMBLive release that just came out has the most dynamics of any DMB release since Remember Two Things, which means you can TURN IT UP and enjoy the wonderful dynamics that occur when live music is played, versus the over-compressed dynamically-challenged sound of, say, Live Trax's 2, 5, 8, 13, Central Park, Folsom Field, WH8's vol 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5, etc., etc.

Here's a list of DMB releases in order of the year of release - http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/inde...year&order=asc

The first column is the average dynamic range. As you move through the 2000's you'll see lots of 6's and 7's which are not good and 8's are only a little better. Moving past Big Whiskey you start to see more 9's coming out which is notably better than a 6 and really the minimum DR you want to see, and even some 10's and 11's which are most welcome ending in the recent DMBLive from Tampa which scores a 13, the kind of dynamic range you used to see in the 80's.

To understand the detrimental effects heavy-handed dynamic range compression has on music you can watch this video but you need to keep the volume the same throughout otherwise the effect is lost. I'd start at around 50% volume.

The Loudness Wars - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gmex_4hreQ

I don't expect the bonus disc to be as dynamic as some of the recent early 90's releases the band has done which is a shame, but if it has similar dynamics to the last two WH8's then I guess we should be thankful for small mercies that it's not as crushed as some of the early WH5's and WH8's.
    Old 08-08-2012, 07:51 AM   #124
    hairyfeetdb1
    "The Plaid Guys"

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dantillo24 View Post
    I haven't heard the Jimi from ATL but I don't understand why they would release a version of a song where the crowd is singing the majority of the song. Maybe it's just me
    The Jimi Thing was fantastic. It's a scat about how Dave met Carter. There was a lot of visual awesomeness to go with it as well. I would love to find a good video. Dave was pretending to drum and was in sync with Carter's drumming.
    hairyfeetdb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #125
    kingofkings
    bigeyedfisher

Shows Seen: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LAA1305 View Post
    Right, but what would be unique about this summer tour? Sure, they could have trown in Dreaming Tree or Typical, but Save Me had never been played full band until this summer, so that song probably makes the most sense for being on there.

Halloween >> Billies became a "thing" this summer and people loved it (at first at least) so that makes sense.

Improv>>Why I Am was something new and different this summer, so that makes sense.

You Never Know had been played less than 25 times since 2003 after making its debut in '02, but then showed up quite a bit this summer.

And there's no such thing as a bad live version of Two Step so that's fine.

Sure you can complain about Jimi Thing and Time Bomb, and I'll even understand where you're coming from, but these 8 tracks are a very good representation of what this summer tour has been about in my opinion.
    i dont know if your a guy or a girl so i will refer to you as dude. so, dude, you are completely misunderstanding what iam saying. i LOVE every dmb song that has ever been played and written. i listen to dmb everyday, and thats it. no radio, no other bands, just dmb. i have heard the same song in so many forms so many times, and i practically have them all memorized. i love every version of every song, and iam thrilled for this bonus disc and i welcome it with open arms. what iam saying is, there were other songs played this year, that havent been played for a while, and received a very different, that i would have liked to see make this disc, or get a number greater than 2 in the release section. you understand? Minarets, Fool to Think, You Never Know, The Space Between, Why Iam, The Dreaming Tree, Everybody Wake Up, Typical Situation, Beach Ball, Funny The Way It Is, etc., all played with a very different sound to them. rare songs, not been played in a while, that sound great, in my mind, constitutes a release. so out of my list i got 2 i was looking forward to getting off sb, and thats great. and like i said im thrilled about all 8 tracks. and another thing i said was we have to wait for a show release and maybe we will get some of the others i have named. but with the new album being released, i assumed they would do things a little differently and release all rarities. thats all. so now that ive wasted 10 minutes, i hope this explains to you what i was trying to say. read it carefully before you quote me again and again saything something that does not make sense. thanks dude
    kingofkings is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-08-2012, 09:42 AM   #126
    kingofkings
    bigeyedfisher

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OutsideEternity View Post
    I remember a time where people would be bitching about Fool to Think being on a bonus disc, and not Jimi Thing. Ah, how the times have changed...
    ool to think has never been on a bonus disk
    Old 08-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #127
    kingofkings
    bigeyedfisher

My Tour Central Stats

fool* to think, sorry!
    Old 08-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #128
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    what iam saying is, there were other songs played this year, that havent been played for a while, and received a very different, that i would have liked to see make this disc, or get a number greater than 2 in the release section. you understand?
    Not sure anyone understands the bolded.

Quote:
    i listen to dmb everyday, and thats it. no radio, no other bands, just dmb.
    Sarcasm?
    Old 08-08-2012, 10:29 AM   #129
    DaveCrave41

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

I was excited to see ANY track from Atlanta make the cut. And truthfully, the ONLY redeeming portion of the less-than-mediocre set was the Jimi Thing scat. It was ridiculous! The show was lackluster and boring, but that Jimi Thing was great.

(aside: I actually witnessed a "new hardcore" fan swear off ever going to a DMB concert again because of the terrible concert.... was a sad day for sure.)

Awesome that fans had the opportunity to ask Mark about DMB. Hopefully he didn't catch the red glare of anyone else involved.
    DaveCrave41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-08-2012, 11:06 AM   #130
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveCrave41 View Post
    (aside: I actually witnessed a "new hardcore" fan swear off ever going to a DMB concert again because of the terrible concert.... was a sad day for sure.)
    Not new, but even going to just three shows this year let me realize that I'm not interested in doing much more than that anymore, way too predictable. I'll stick to a local show, most likely Toronto with Darien's new parking bullshit restrictions their gestapo are pulling, and SPAC. Still have Gorge on my to-do list, but the days of wanting to see 7~10 shows a year are long gone.
    Old 08-08-2012, 04:32 PM   #131
    ethaxton
    eLL

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    i dont know if your a guy or a girl so i will refer to you as dude. so, dude, you are completely misunderstanding what iam saying. i LOVE every dmb song that has ever been played and written. i listen to dmb everyday, and thats it. no radio, no other bands, just dmb. i have heard the same song in so many forms so many times, and i practically have them all memorized. i love every version of every song, and iam thrilled for this bonus disc and i welcome it with open arms. what iam saying is, there were other songs played this year, that havent been played for a while, and received a very different, that i would have liked to see make this disc, or get a number greater than 2 in the release section. you understand? Minarets, Fool to Think, You Never Know, The Space Between, Why Iam, The Dreaming Tree, Everybody Wake Up, Typical Situation, Beach Ball, Funny The Way It Is, etc., all played with a very different sound to them. rare songs, not been played in a while, that sound great, in my mind, constitutes a release. so out of my list i got 2 i was looking forward to getting off sb, and thats great. and like i said im thrilled about all 8 tracks. and another thing i said was we have to wait for a show release and maybe we will get some of the others i have named. but with the new album being released, i assumed they would do things a little differently and release all rarities. thats all. so now that ive wasted 10 minutes, i hope this explains to you what i was trying to say. read it carefully before you quote me again and again saything something that does not make sense. thanks dude
    A lot of this is just sad. Most notably, the part of you only listening to DMB. Secondly, that it took you 10 minutes to write that and, of course, that you posted this at all.

Shows Attended
    ethaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-08-2012, 06:16 PM   #132
    kingofkings
    bigeyedfisher

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
    Not sure anyone understands the bolded.

Sarcasm?
    yea my fault, missed a word. nice catch though. very good eye
    Old 08-08-2012, 06:21 PM   #133
    kingofkings
    bigeyedfisher

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ethaxton View Post
    A lot of this is just sad. Most notably, the part of you only listening to DMB. Secondly, that it took you 10 minutes to write that and, of course, that you posted this at all.
    obviously ive listened to many other bands in my life, but for me having every single release and every tape i can download completes it for me. when compared to dmb, imo, nothing fills that slot. if it makes me happy, why do you care? and no my friend it did not take me 10 minutes to physically type. i was enjoying my lunch and on a buisness call so i was interrupted, but i still clocked in the amount of time all together.
    Old 08-08-2012, 09:38 PM   #134
    jeff edwards

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Finally something from Toronto I was there and it was a good show but Save Me wasn't the best from the show.
    jeff edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-08-2012, 09:51 PM   #135
    bubba40

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Any release of a 2012 Jimi is a good release.
    bubba40 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-08-2012, 10:14 PM   #136
    dmbmuskie
    FIN

Shows Seen: 50

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bubba40 View Post
    Any release of a 2012 Jimi is a good release.
    Child please.
    dmbmuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-08-2012, 11:43 PM   #137
    LAA1305

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    i dont know if your a guy or a girl so i will refer to you as dude. so, dude, you are completely misunderstanding what iam saying. i LOVE every dmb song that has ever been played and written. i listen to dmb everyday, and thats it. no radio, no other bands, just dmb. i have heard the same song in so many forms so many times, and i practically have them all memorized. i love every version of every song, and iam thrilled for this bonus disc and i welcome it with open arms. what iam saying is, there were other songs played this year, that havent been played for a while, and received a very different, that i would have liked to see make this disc, or get a number greater than 2 in the release section. you understand? Minarets, Fool to Think,You Never Know, The Space Between, Why Iam, The Dreaming Tree, Everybody Wake Up, Typical Situation, Beach Ball, Funny The Way It Is, etc., all played with a very different sound to them. rare songs, not been played in a while, that sound great, in my mind, constitutes a release. so out of my list i got 2 i was looking forward to getting off sb, and thats great. and like i said im thrilled about all 8 tracks. and another thing i said was we have to wait for a show release and maybe we will get some of the others i have named. but with the new album being released, i assumed they would do things a little differently and release all rarities. thats all. so now that ive wasted 10 minutes, i hope this explains to you what i was trying to say. read it carefully before you quote me again and again saything something that does not make sense. thanks dude
    The same can be said right back at you, because clearly you did not understand the point of my post "dude". I was simply saying that the bonus disc is meant as a sort of representation of the summer tour, a tour "sampler" if you will.

I agree with you that I would have liked to see something like Beach Ball or Typical or even a version of FTWII on there. And I also agree with you that I like this disc and listen to an unhealthy amount of DMB and am familiar with countless versions of different songs (like many, many Ants are).

The entire point of my last post, which you apparently missed, was that -- aside from Time Bomb>>Two Step and Jimi -- they did release unique-sounding songs that don't have an overwhelming amount of releases.

I wasn't calling you out by any means in my post, just aking why you didn't think some of the tracks were unique enough to make the cut.

Dude.
    LAA1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-09-2012, 06:57 AM   #138
    kingofkings
    bigeyedfisher

My Tour Central Stats

i hear you and understand. lets end on a positive note. always a pleasure to find out opinions of strangers that feel the same way i do about this music.
    Old 08-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #139
    SeekUpTheCubs
    DMBallwasher

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I haven't heard the Jimi from ATL but I don't understand why they would release a version of a song where the crowd is singing the majority of the song. Maybe it's just me

yep its just you. thats the coolest part of it. thats what makes a DMB show unlike anything. Even Paul at the olympics couldnt get people to sing like they do at a DMB show
    Old 08-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #140
    kingofkings
    bigeyedfisher

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

havent you heard wrigley? that version especially, let alone all the other tapes with the crowd singing, is great. i like when they do that. i really dig the dancing nancies from 5-28-10, that was really unique. always pumps the energy at a show when they let us sing.
    Old 08-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #141
    beachball
    ...gumball-shaped world

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

if anything the tracklist for the bonus disc gives me hope that the Alpine shows are going to be released, because there were so many gems and highlights from that 2 night stand that you would have thought it'd be represented. hopefully they are saving it for a proper livetrax or dvd/cd release.