Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds - Luther College 4 LP RSD - Page 4 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 10-12-2017, 03:07 PM   #91
dinkyvision

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds - Luther College 4 LP RSD

So not officially announced but already starting a huge list of those "in line" (whatever good that is) for this. Ok.

Also, regarding if it will be sold online for RSD... that is absolutely defeating the point of RSD. It's to get ppl to go support your local small record store.

I get that not everyone can get online on RSD, but by creating "lists" of ppl ISO will make it harder for those at the actual stores to get a copy. Why put effort into getting one on RSD if you can just add a name to a list?

Kinda like all the hours I've spent waiting in line (not tailgating in the lot till the last minute) for a poster... would have been much easier to just "get on a list" and hopefully bypass the effort spent.

(Not to mention most copies will likely go to ppl that won't open or play them, have no table TO play them, nor have any intention of ever playing them).
dinkyvision is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 10-12-2017, 03:18 PM   #92
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dinkyvision View Post
    So not officially announced but already starting a huge list of those "in line" (whatever good that is) for this. Ok.

Also, regarding if it will be sold online for RSD... that is absolutely defeating the point of RSD. It's to get ppl to go support your local small record store.

I get that not everyone can get online on RSD, but by creating "lists" of ppl ISO will make it harder for those at the actual stores to get a copy. Why put effort into getting one on RSD if you can just add a name to a list?

Kinda like all the hours I've spent waiting in line (not tailgating in the lot till the last minute) for a poster... would have been much easier to just "get on a list" and hopefully bypass the effort spent.

(Not to mention most copies will likely go to ppl that won't open or play them, have no table TO play them, nor have any intention of ever playing them).
    We're a community of fans, and we look out for each other.

Far better to have them in the hands of people here, who may or may not open and play them, than to be in the hands of flippers.

If you're in line, and your store has stock, there's a good chance you'll get one. But they will definitely sell out at most places, and they will absolutely be flipped on line by non-fans.

We're trying to prevent the flippers from screwing over actual fans.

I don't understand the saltiness about an ISO list.

We are America, second to none, and we own the finish line! Don't forget it!
    BTBaboon is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-12-2017, 03:30 PM   #93
    dinkyvision

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    We're a community of fans, and we look out for each other.

Far better to have them in the hands of people here, who may or may not open and play them, than to be in the hands of flippers.

If you're in line, and your store has stock, there's a good chance you'll get one. But they will definitely sell out at most places, and they will absolutely be flipped on line by non-fans.

We're trying to prevent the flippers from screwing over actual fans.

I don't understand the saltiness about an ISO list.
    Not saltiness... just basically "flipping" without profit (in the sense of ppl will purchase extras to get them to ppl on the list... so if I'm 8th in line at my local shop, and they get 6 copies, someone ahead of me could very likely nab 2 copies [one for themselves & another for a friend/list/fan whatever] then I'm out of luck even though I got in line early AT the store).

How about at shows with high demand posters? Say I'm AT the Gorge, but lots of fans want the poster even though they aren't at the show...ppl will buy mult copies to get them to fans on an ISO list (weather at face value or not), thus reducing the number of prints available to ppl AT the show...
    Old 10-12-2017, 03:37 PM   #94
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Not saltiness... just basically "flipping" without profit (in the sense of ppl will purchase extras to get them to ppl on the list... so if I'm 8th in line at my local shop, and they get 6 copies, someone ahead of me could very likely nab 2 copies [one for themselves & another for a friend/list/fan whatever] then I'm out of luck even though I got in line early AT the store).
    Most stores have a 1-per-title-per-customer limit. It's unlikely people are coping multiples at a single shop. Last year when I hooked up a fellow ant with RR95 I got mine at the store I waited in line for, then checked out another shop across town that happened to still have some after the opening rush.

You're describing a scenario that, in practice, doesn't exist.

Quote:
    How about at shows with high demand posters? Say I'm AT the Gorge, but lots of fans want the poster even though they aren't at the show...ppl will buy mult copies to get them to fans on an ISO list (weather at face value or not), thus reducing the number of prints available to ppl AT the show...
    Well A) I haven't seen lists like that for these, and B) posters are already getting sold in multiple quantities and then flipped. It should be on the merch tents to clamp down on that shit.

Plus, posters are way more limited, in a far more concentrated area than any record is. It's an apples to oranges comparison.

Old 10-12-2017, 03:46 PM   #95
    dinkyvision

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    Most stores have a 1-per-title-per-customer limit. It's unlikely people are coping multiples at a single shop. Last year when I hooked up a fellow ant with RR95 I got mine at the store I waited in line for, then checked out another shop across town that happened to still have some after the opening rush.

You're describing a scenario that, in practice, doesn't exist.

Yes. There usually are 1 per customer limits... yet I regularly see couples (one household) each purchase a copy (clearly to flip or whatever). My wife & I could easily both purchase a copy of a limited release but we don't as it's basically bending the rule without technically breaking it. I purchase 1 for me & let another customer have a chance.

The fact that you say it never happens is pretty funny.
    Old 10-12-2017, 04:03 PM   #96
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Luther College RSDBF ISO List

Clicking the name below will take you to private messaging to PM that user.

YouNeverKnow25
    Roose13
    marcusdk
    chadizzy1
    Mickey Carson
    BTBaboon
    soccer41
    jcarley
    djamieb
    ncrstlr1
    cjavors
    DEMITRI
    cry_minarets458
    lockman21
    Roi Lives
    dmbclstj2
    Klize17
    BustedAdam
    sisaak
    thewitt85
    kevdmb
    sully51
    jbombs16p
    asamouel
    trei

* It is suggested that good form would be to go in order from first requested (top of the list) to most recently requested (bottom of the list), but it isn't required. If you request to be on the list, please make reasonable effort to go to your store and buy a copy. There are situations where not everyone can go buy one, but please still try to go buy one so extra copies can get to people who genuinely can not get out to buy a copy.
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-12-2017, 04:14 PM   #97
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It helps people who
    1. Strike out and don't get one
    2. Have a store that didn't get any stock
    3. Can't get out due to work/kids

Quote:
    Some people value limited edition releases (especially collectors). The RSD release is different from the Warehouse/DMB store release. If it were the same, I would agree with your point.

Quote:
    It's a good way to know who is looking for a copy. The day of RSD people post whether or not they get one. If they get one, they are removed from the list. In the past, usually most people can get one, and those on the ISO list that didn't get one can get a copy from another Ant. Last RSD was a great example of this. It was rare that there were more than a few names not able to get a copy. ISO lists help the community.

Quote:
    This is the story of any vinyl release, not just RSD releases. There are people who buy regular releases and don't play them.

Quote:
    By flipping without profit, do you mean a community looking out for each other? I think it's great that people will take time out of their day to go back, get an extra copy, and ship it to someone without being paid extra for doing so.

Also, stores have a 1 record limit. And most abide by that. It's very rare that a store will let by someone buy 2 of the same record. Usually when that happens it's after the "rush" is over and there are copies left over that people didn't buy.

Quote:
    Yes. There usually are 1 per customer limits... yet I regularly see couples (one household) each purchase a copy (clearly to flip or whatever). My wife & I could easily both purchase a copy of a limited release but we don't as it's basically bending the rule without technically breaking it. I purchase 1 for me & let another customer have a chance.
    If you see this happening, report it to RSD.
    Old 10-12-2017, 04:43 PM   #98
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

The fact that you say it never happens is pretty funny.
    Document this evidence then and report it.

I've never seen it in the past 8ish years of doing RSD, across at least 5 stores in 3 different states.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:18 AM   #99
    YouNeverKnow25

Shows Seen: 110

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

interesting how quickly it changes from "it's supposed to be about supporting the record store" (which an ISO has 0.0 effect on) to "iso lists make it harder for ME to get one"
    YouNeverKnow25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-13-2017, 07:32 AM   #100
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Don't most people who grab one for people on the ISO list either A) grab one for themselves then get back in line or go back later in the day to grab the extras to help people out? or B) Skip grabbing one for themselves and help someone else instead?

Either way, I don't see the whole "support your local store argument" because at the end of the day in both scenarios a local record store had money spent inside their store. Not to mention, most record stores will list their leftover stock online (I know both of my stores do). That way displaced people, especially because of the Thanksgiving holiday, can still have a shot at ordering what they want AND support their stores.
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-13-2017, 07:48 AM   #101
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    Don't most people who grab one for people on the ISO list either A) grab one for themselves then get back in line or go back later in the day to grab the extras to help people out? or B) Skip grabbing one for themselves and help someone else instead?

Either way, I don't see the whole "support your local store argument" because at the end of the day in both scenarios a local record store had money spent inside their store. Not to mention, most record stores will list their leftover stock online (I know both of my stores do). That way displaced people, especially because of the Thanksgiving holiday, can still have a shot at ordering what they want AND support their stores.
    Yeah, it's really a non-issue. I don't understand the problem he's having with our list and helping out fellow fans.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:49 AM   #102
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    This is correct.
    Old 10-13-2017, 08:58 AM   #103
    snake911

Shows Seen: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Yep, I dont think the couple of dozen records (out of several thousand) grabbed for another person on these boards is reducing availability of non-Ant fans at their local store in any significant amount. Probably more significant is when a store in a non-DMB hotbed gets 40 copies of LT4 and sells them all online because nobody bought one on RSD. When I grabbed an extra LT 2 and LT3 to pass on through these boards I grabbed my copies, went and got lunch, then went back to the store. They still had LT's and there were still still people on the ISO list so I picked them up and passed them on at cost (well, one at cost. Traded the other for a black LT1). There is nothing nefarious happening.
    snake911 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-13-2017, 09:46 AM   #104
    vaxarado

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Sorry but this just makes zero sense.

1) Most of the people on the ISO list will try to obtain one on their own. This is in case they strike out.

2) How does someone grabbing an extra at a store in Chicago hurt your chances in Phoenix or getting one? It doesn't.

3) The likelihood of someone from this message board being in front of you in line and grabbing the last one so you don't get yours is probably below that of hitting the lottery.

I don't know who pissed in your Wheaties but you seem to be upset about nothing. Looking at the list of people, most are frequent collectors of vinyl in general, particularly DMB. They want it to enjoy it so they can listen to it. Not sure what you're getting upset about.
    Old 10-13-2017, 01:56 PM   #105
    rickyh24
    GOAT

Shows Seen: 76

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

I’ll be buying one on secondary market or hopefully just grabbing it from WH. RSD is annoying as fuck. Never doing it again.
    rickyh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-13-2017, 06:08 PM   #106
    blumathu

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickyh24 View Post
    I’ll be buying one on secondary market or hopefully just grabbing it from WH. RSD is annoying as fuck. Never doing it again.
    This is how I feel as well. Not worth battling the crazies for a special color, when it will most likely be readily available on black vinyl shortly afterwards via the Warehouse.
    blumathu is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-14-2017, 10:42 AM   #107
    markbaggs

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Hi Chad,

I personally think it’s great that we do this list and I for one am glad you came up with it.

With that said, could you please add me to the list?

Thanks!
    markbaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-14-2017, 01:53 PM   #108
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

My Tour Central Stats

Luther College RSDBF ISO List

Clicking the name below will take you to private messaging to PM that user.

YouNeverKnow25
    Roose13
    marcusdk
    chadizzy1
    Mickey Carson
    BTBaboon
    soccer41
    jcarley
    djamieb
    ncrstlr1
    cjavors
    DEMITRI
    cry_minarets458
    lockman21
    Roi Lives
    dmbclstj2
    Klize17
    BustedAdam
    sisaak
    thewitt85
    kevdmb
    sully51
    jbombs16p
    asamouel
    trei
    markbaggs

* It is suggested that good form would be to go in order from first requested (top of the list) to most recently requested (bottom of the list), but it isn't required. If you request to be on the list, please make reasonable effort to go to your store and buy a copy. There are situations where not everyone can go buy one, but please still try to go buy one so extra copies can get to people who genuinely can not get out to buy a copy.
    Old 10-17-2017, 08:00 AM   #109
    Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 99

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Don't think this has been posted yet:

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300537957.html

Quote:
    NEW YORK, Oct. 17, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Legacy Recordings, the catalog division of Sony Music Entertainment, announces the label's line-up of vinyl releases created especially for Record Store Day's Black Friday 2017, celebrated at the nation's independent record stores this year on Friday, November 24.

For RSD Black Friday 2017, Legacy caters to connoisseurs of classic sounds delivered on old school vinyl via these highly collectible releases:

Janis Joplin - Janis Joplin's Greatest Hits (12" Colored Vinyl Longplay)

In 1967, audiences at the Monterey Pop Festival experienced the powerful voice and stage presence of Janis Joplin, many for the very first time. Her work with Big Brother & The Holding Company and as a solo artist was a defining force in the changing soundscape of rock music in the 1960s. Her passionate vocals on "Piece of My Heart," "Cry Baby" and the posthumous chart-topper "Me and Bobby McGee" inspired generations of female singers to pour their hearts out. Being released for the first time on vinyl in 27 years, Janis Joplin's Greatest Hits (originally released in 1973), will be repressed on green smoke colored vinyl in the U.S. and pink & blue splatter clear vinyl for European countries for Record Store Day Black Friday 2017.

Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds - Live At Luther College (12" Colored Vinyl – 4LP Box Set)

On February 6, 1996, Dave Matthews and guitarist Tim Reynolds played an intimate set at Iowa's Luther College, wowing fans with acoustic arrangements of Dave Matthews Band songs. The two hour-plus set included songs that would appear on that year's Crash, along with fan favorites "Granny" and "Deed Is Done" otherwise unreleased at the time of the 1999 debut of the Live At Luther College CD. Now, this beloved live set makes its debut on vinyl in a 4LP box set. This exclusive numbered edition for Record Store Day Black Friday is pressed on red, yellow and blue splatter vinyl.

Prodigy - Keep It Thoro (12" Vinyl Longplay Picture Disc)

As one half of the iconic group Mobb Deep, Prodigy (1974-2017) was a key player in New York hip-hop's mid-1990s renaissance, delivering in-depth, uncompromising verses about life in the Queensbridge projects. Certified Classics honors Prodigy's legendary and undisputed legacy with a special picture disc release of his debut hit solo single, 2000's "Keep It Thoro," featuring instrumental and a cappella versions of the track as well as a remix by Prodigy's Mobb Deep partner Havoc.

Preservation Hall Jazz Band - Run Stop & Drop!! (The Needle) (12" Vinyl Longplay)

Recorded live in August 2017 at historic Preservation Hall in New Orleans, Run Stop & Drop!! (The Needle) finds Preservation Hall Jazz Band dazzling an intimate crowd with live performances of five songs they'd debuted on 2017's acclaimed studio album, So It Is. This 12" vinyl RSD 2017 release showcases what makes PHJB one of the most vital live acts working today.

Now in its tenth year, Record Store Day is an annual day-long celebration of record store culture held on the third Saturday in April. RSD has named St. Vincent as Record Store Day's Madame Ambassador 2017.

To locate your nearest participating RSD 2017 retailer, please visit: http://recordstoreday.com/Stores

www.recordstoreday.com

#RSDBF

www.legacyrecordings.com

SOURCE Legacy Recordings

Related Links

http://www.legacyrecordings.com
    Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-17-2017, 09:21 AM   #110
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

3,000 copies, it's an "RSD First Release" so there will definitely be black copies in wider numbers to follow.

Old 10-17-2017, 12:42 PM   #111
    onesweetworld41

Shows Seen: 65

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickyh24 View Post
    Depends where you go for RSD. I live in Columbus and the April one is a disaster and a legit waste of time. Black Friday RSD around my parents in a rural Pennsylvania city is a much better experience and easy to get stuff without getting mauled or sit in line all day.
    Old 10-17-2017, 04:00 PM   #112
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

My Tour Central Stats

RSD is great here. It's at a small record store, the same people come every year. We have food trucks that set up, radio station - sometimes local bands come play for free in the parking lot. It's a fun experience.

And at ours, most people help each other out. Theres been times I've been behind a bunch of people in line, and as they're digging through if they see something I'm looking for they'll grab it and hand it to me

That being said, we rarely get DMB releases. Because, you know, east coast stores need to get 30 copies so that Arkansas (the whole state) can't get one.
    Old 10-18-2017, 04:35 AM   #113
    meatball41

Shows Seen: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Does anyone know how it's decided what selection each store gets for each RSD? And can you call your local store and request they order you a copy? Can't imagine it's completely random and they have no idea what they're allotted.

"Heng Dai, fuckin Wu"
    meatball41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-18-2017, 04:54 AM   #114
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by meatball41 View Post
    Does anyone know how it's decided what selection each store gets for each RSD? And can you call your local store and request they order you a copy? Can't imagine it's completely random and they have no idea what they're allotted.
    Basically stores order titles that they think will sell, and they request certain quantities. But it's never guaranteed that they get what they order, and fulfillment is pretty random at times.

Last year my regular store in Michigan got 3 copies of RR95, meanwhile the store across town got 15-20.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:30 AM   #115
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Great to know this getting a wide release. I see RR95 is still available for face on Amazon. I know I won't be ordering this this year but if I decide to grab it one day next year it's good to know I can still get it at some point for a reasonable cost.
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-19-2017, 10:45 AM   #116
    Look

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

I know it's a long shot but here in Europe impossible to get.Please add me to the list Chad.
    Look is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-19-2017, 11:04 AM   #117
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Look View Post
    I know it's a long shot but here in Europe impossible to get.Please add me to the list Chad.
    You can order the black from Amazon no? I order stuff from various Amazon sellers (.it, .es, .de, .fr and .co.uk) frequently.

Red Rocks vinyl is in stock on several EU Amazon websites.

Or do you have to have the color variant?
    Old 10-19-2017, 02:20 PM   #118
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

Shows Seen: 240

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

I already talked to my local store about this. Know the guys well so hopefully they set me one or two aside. Would obviously help people here if I can get multiple.
    Old 10-19-2017, 02:48 PM   #119
    Look

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
    You can order the black from Amazon no? I order stuff from various Amazon sellers (.it, .es, .de, .fr and .co.uk) frequently.

Red Rocks vinyl is in stock on several EU Amazon websites.

Or do you have to have the color variant?
    Yes I know I can order black version. There are plenty of opportunities to buy it - dmb site, amazon etc. I don't have to have colour version but it's nice to have a choice ;-)
    Look is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-19-2017, 05:03 PM   #120
    DEMITRI

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lockman21 View Post
    I already talked to my local store about this. Know the guys well so hopefully they set me one or two aside. Would obviously help people here if I can get multiple.
    Lucky. I called a couple record stores around my area (northwest suburbs of chicago) and they all told me they don't know what they are getting yet, which I figured, but they also said they have never gotten any DMB related record store day exclusives which I found odd so i might be screwed. Im really excited for this release. This album is what turned me into a fan almost immediately. I remember listening to halloween off this when I was young but only with headphones on cuz I thought people would think I was weird hahah
    DEMITRI is offline   Reply With Quote