R.I.P. Leroi Moore. - Page 125 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 06-08-2022, 06:33 AM   #3721
Speilmen230
Case of the Roo Blues

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Re: R.I.P. Leroi Moore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcsulla View Post
I know I have mentioned this before in here but for those who didn't see it I will tell you what a great guy he was. In Hartford say 17 or so years ago 2 friends and I were walking down the street from our hotel to snag breakfast and walked into Roi. I did not have my night 1 stub with me but he signed those my friends had on them. We started talking about what a great show they put on the previous night and he thanked us for our kind words but clearly wanted to get out of there so we said nice to see you again and all of us bolted. Couple hours later we were in the hotel bar hours before the show, Roi walks into the hotel (band was staying at the same one as we were) - sees us in the bar and walks over all apologetic. He explained he was in a rush to meet people for Fathers day then sat with us, chatted for a while, signed what we had, gave us backstage passes and then picked up our tab. Just a great wonderful man whom I dearly miss after hanging out having drinks with him after shows numerous times. Just thought some of the newer fans would enjoy that story t hat shows what kind of a guy Roi was!
Who's cutting onions?!
It's not called the Great Depression because it was an awesome fucking time.
Speilmen230 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-23-2022, 11:38 AM   #3722
    8nalive

Shows Seen: 15

My Tour Central Stats

I miss you Roi but Jeff is carrying his weight very well. I think you must be proud of him looking down from all the way up there
    8nalive is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2022, 04:03 PM   #3723
    TypicalBilly14

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Forever dancing with the GruGrux King.

https://twitter.com/davematthewsbnd/...DTqfGZ8uUqAAAA

Miss you, Roi.
    TypicalBilly14 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2022, 11:09 PM   #3724
    Route_2
    What Album?

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Roi slaying per usual: https://youtu.be/eje59zqMNOY?t=5380
    Old 07-05-2022, 04:32 PM   #3725
    Thegravedigger
    Fredericksburg, VA

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Very cool to see this thread still alive and well...
    Old 07-10-2022, 11:48 AM   #3726
    DancingNanc05
    PunchYouIntheEye

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Route_2 View Post
    This guy Roi's
    Old 08-18-2022, 09:28 PM   #3727
    hopewelljones

My Tour Central Stats

Still remember exactly where I was when I was told that he'd passed. Crazy that it's been 14 years.
    hopewelljones is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-19-2022, 05:24 AM   #3728
    draegs

Shows Seen: 64

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Roi also slaying it here, but in a very different way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTtR0TcF0LQ&t=508s
    Old 08-19-2022, 06:15 AM   #3729
    landsharkbam
    "The Shark"

Shows Seen: 79

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Hard not to miss Roi’s vibe and sound. Will for sure put on an older show tonight. Crazy it’s been so long ago
    Old 08-19-2022, 08:03 AM   #3730
    dpduke5173

Shows Seen: 96

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Still here dancing! That Watchtower on Folsom Field always gives me goosebumps when he comes in for his solo. Wish he was still here but so grateful for the memories.
    Old 08-19-2022, 08:17 AM   #3731
    prdstmnky36

Shows Seen: 78

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

I decided years ago I was no longer gonna be sad on 8/19, but instead listen to the beautiful sounds he created with a big smile on my face. He was amazing, never forget!

SEE YOU AT SPAC!!!
    prdstmnky36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-19-2022, 08:20 AM   #3732
    Jeff31b
    Need.. shows.. now..

Shows Seen: 69

My Tour Central Stats

Stage Left Solidarity... forever dancing...

2024: Va Beach, SPAC, Bristow, Camden, Gorge
    Jeff31b is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-20-2022, 05:56 PM   #3733
    RainDog1980

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by landsharkbam View Post
    Hard not to miss Roi’s vibe and sound. Will for sure put on an older show tonight. Crazy it’s been so long ago
    It is hard to believe that it’s been 14 years. I still remember what I was doing when I found out. They played the 8/19/08 Bartender last night on Sirius. Tough one to listen to.
    RainDog1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-30-2022, 05:25 PM   #3734
    GraceBuckley

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

I just happened upon this tribute video the band showed a few shows after Roi passed, they showed this at the Gorge apparently. I'm sure many of you have seen it, but I didn't even know it existed until now.

Soooooooooo fantastic and so emotional!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UHi4ZG_HYY
    GraceBuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-06-2022, 07:27 PM   #3735
    Flowberg

Shows Seen: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Live trax 11. Boyd’s solo. I love LeRoi’s build during the solo. Unmatched tone. When I think of Roi this is one moment I always go back to. RIP and thank you
    Flowberg is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-14-2022, 01:44 PM   #3736
    TerrapinMonkey

My Tour Central Stats

The more comparison I get to old shows, the more I miss Leroi. For so long I was excited that JC had stepped in to keep the band going. Still am in that regard. And while 08-10 were pretty exciting in terms of the energy he personally was bringing to songs like #41, Two Step, LIOG, it's been dwindling off ever since. Like his role started being riddled away starting in 2012. Just less and less, he stopped coming out to jam with 2 saxes and more or less fell lockstep in with a horn section type sound with RR for AFTW.

JC's solos are all becoming very redundant and predictable as well. As are RR's. How many times can RR do the United Airlines song in the middle of a solo? (I don't know the name of the real song).

But all this being said, Roi brought the intangible magic. He was less technical than Jeff, and on paper, less talented. But that personal sound he brought was such a big part of the old DMB sound. That mix of jazz, funk, blues. Bringing all his influences in. It was HIS voice on so much of that. I do wonder where the band would be if he was still around in 2022. If they'd still be getting along that is.

JC has a very hard role to fill in that, ROI had so many memorable parts that the fans love, but he would also never really play them exactly the same any given night. Outside of the studio albums, it's not a like a musician can come in and just copy the parts night after night. Especially in 08/09 I thought we brilliant in bringing in those memorable lines, but not copying them, while also being himself. He'd bring in that JC sound which was more uptempo and higher energy. Likely because he was playing for bigger audiences and knew the shoes he had to fill. He also looked like he was having a blast!

Fast forward to 2012-16 and then 18 to now. It's like he is a hired hand. A contracted musician who plays parts and then is "allowed" a solo or two on pre set songs. Like, ok Jeff gets 2 minutes on Lying in the Hands of God, is part of the pre show talk. He seems a bit less enthused on stage. Likes to argue with fans on social media, or get butt hurt like he should be immune to what the rest of us face everyday on there. (Someone tell Jeff, if you post personal opinions on how the world should be, lots of people are going to disagree and you're going to attract troll)

Roi brought so much taste and subtlety to the sax. Jeff, at least with DMB, is just blaring everything these days. And on songs like Ocean and the Butterfly he gets this beautiful role that lasts all of 7 seconds.
    TerrapinMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-09-2023, 02:48 PM   #3737
    tsvb

Shows Seen: 68

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TerrapinMonkey View Post
    But all this being said, Roi brought the intangible magic.
    Yes sir.

Quote:
    He was less technical than Jeff, and on paper, less talented.
    Hard no here. Not sure what on paper means, but yeah, no.

Quote:
    But that personal sound he brought was such a big part of the old DMB sound. That mix of jazz, funk, blues. Bringing all his influences in. It was HIS voice on so much of that.
    Yes. His tone, his voice was everything. Proved that subtlety can be just as important, if not more, than always being at a 10.

It’s been a while since I’ve really been into actively listening to dmb and after Roi passed I’ve consistently said to friends that it’s different. Both in a very obvious way, but also in other ways that aren’t right “in your face”. The way everything came together, music, sound, atmosphere, energy, presence just cannot be. Post Roi has never hit me in a way that the band originally did so viscerally.

RIP Leroi and here’s to everything that he helped create that we can always go back to and enjoy.
    tsvb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-30-2023, 01:39 AM   #3738
    8nalive

My Tour Central Stats

LeRoi could play the same note or the same grouping of notes (phrases) in so many ways it really is not fair to anyone else

He’s here, he’s there, he’s everywhere, cannon balls out of his ass (I meant out of his saxophone)

God blessed the DMB with such a fantastic musician in LeRoi . . . forever

Roi had grace and coolness behind those sunglasses and the music flowed so effortlessly through him and channeled through to the other band members. He was a good albeit tough band member to his band mates. He used dynamics and feelings and displayed incredible emotional musical intelligence in the songs to bring out sweeping emotion through his ever so beautiful noteworthy playing

Rashawn and Jeff have the spirit of LeRoi within. Rashawn and Jeff being there in awesome ways helps me not wish LeRoi were back

Rashawn and Jeff play off of each other so perfectly and professionally

But boy-oh-boy LeRoi was so good

I seem to remember through reading that Roi would sit in with local groups while in town touring with DMB

I remember my first DMB show was on July 3, 2000 at Three Rivers Stadium. I just turned 18 on July 1, 2000. It was an awesome birthday present and experience. I felt chills throughout my body from LeRoi’s playing on that day

LeRoi was and always will be my favorite musician of all time period and my favorite DMB member

Man . . . Buddy is the X-Factor. He sings and plays rock solid. He is unconventional and then gets right into the groove

Jeff plays in a way like Einstein or Mozart except on a saxophone and Rashawn has more soul than Miles or Louis on the trumpet

Dave plays rhythm guitar better than anyone I have ever heard and also wails better than anyone I have ever heard and I really do miss Dave’s acoustic rhythm guitar solos at certain points within songs. Those are incredible parts of endings of songs and I do not have any doubts that true DMB fans of the music miss those with great fervor as well

Tim is out of this world and wish he would be given the opportunity to perform a solo as Dave solos in DMB concerts just to jazz things up a bit

Stefan is so cool and calm and effortlessly backs every song with just the exact amount of bass. He moves everywhere while keeping the song exactly within grasp. At the show on 9.29.21 at Blossom Stefan extrapolated (“MATHEMATICS
    extend (a graph, curve, or range of values) by inferring unknown values from trends in the known data”) All Along The Watchtower and was my favorite bass intro I have ever heard

Carter’s syncopation and attention to detail is out of this world. Carter is just Carter. Not quite God, but good. Very good.

The reason why I write about other band members in a LeRoi thread is because our souls are immortal and LeRoi has touched and influenced all of the other band members in significant ways and helped bring the DMB to where DMB is today. Everything is connected in some way. Dave said something like the world is a giant spider web.Without LeRoi, the success of the DMB is hard for me to imagine today. I think the DMB would have happened but the DMB would not have been nearly as good and certainly not as soulful without LeRoi.
    Old 04-23-2023, 09:26 PM   #3739
    8nalive

My Tour Central Stats

I think I can say Roi is my favorite instrumentalist of all time
    Old 04-24-2023, 11:57 AM   #3740
    bowa36

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

I wonder how he would have played on Mercy. I think he would have liked it a lot.
    Old 04-30-2023, 04:59 PM   #3741
    C.S.
    I lurk you long time...

Shows Seen: 16

My Tour Central Stats

I've gone through somewhat of a musical renaissance lately. Listening now, I realize that Dave is the organs of the band;the brain, the skin, the heart, etc... Roi was the bones.

Maybe the glue, along with Boyd. Irreplaceable, both of them.

Last edited by C.S.; 04-30-2023 at 05:01 PM. Reason: More meandering thoughts
    C.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-19-2023, 10:08 AM   #3742
    mjrdrums

My Tour Central Stats

Another album showcasing how much Roi is missed in the creative process.
    mjrdrums is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-28-2023, 07:42 PM   #3743
    bowa36

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

I wonder what Roi would have done on Looking for a Vein. I miss him
    Old 06-08-2023, 05:38 AM   #3744
    crawfish

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

I am listening to Grace is Gone Lillywhite this am. Just listen how he plays this song. One of if not my favorite DMB studio tracks and it's cause of how he plays this song. It is just brilliant.
    crawfish is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-09-2023, 06:25 AM   #3745
    jaymas9

Shows Seen: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crawfish View Post
    I am listening to Grace is Gone Lillywhite this am. Just listen how he plays this song. One of if not my favorite DMB studio tracks and it's cause of how he plays this song. It is just brilliant.
    This is a great example that just sums him up.

Honestly, the entire tLWS is him finding another level. I remember the absence of a lead guitar had him and Lillywhite working on having him play in a way that added even more texture to songs, they were basically experimenting within the band. Lillywhite talked about this for a bit on the Norlander podcast from last year. Conceptually, I always felt like his sax on tLWS was doing what a lead guitar does plus what his sax had already done for a decade, so it was cool to hear about. He was always so prominent on DMB tunes up to that point, but this whole record felt like there was even more of him/sax and it was awesome.

It's a masterpiece album for him. Big Eyed Fish is my favorite example of it.
    Old 06-28-2023, 08:14 PM   #3746
    Dannyyankou

Shows Seen: 29

My Tour Central Stats

LeRoi played his last show 15 years ago tonight. This version of Sugar Will is a very beautiful and sad tribute to him-

https://youtu.be/RY2DcG6PwgI
    Dannyyankou is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2023, 08:18 PM   #3747
    Dannyyankou

Shows Seen: 29

My Tour Central Stats

This is actually the version I meant to post, but they’re both beautiful-

https://youtu.be/sA1hz_hrN-8
    Dannyyankou is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-17-2023, 08:55 PM   #3748
    jtrdmb4140
    Take me back...

Shows Seen: 68

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by C.S. View Post
    I've gone through somewhat of a musical renaissance lately. Listening now, I realize that Dave is the organs of the band;the brain, the skin, the heart, etc... Roi was the bones.

Maybe the glue, along with Boyd. Irreplaceable, both of them.
    Roi was the soul IMHO

55 shows and counting...thanks for the memories Roi...
    jtrdmb4140 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-20-2023, 09:33 AM   #3749
    crush_me_16125

Shows Seen: 21

My Tour Central Stats

The importance of LeRoi to the band cannot be overstated. I think the catalogue of music, both live and studio, in the post LeRoi era speaks for itself in that regard.

DMB would never have been DMB without LeRoi and Boyd.
    crush_me_16125 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-20-2023, 01:01 PM   #3750
    Beauford3641

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crush_me_16125 View Post
    The importance of LeRoi to the band cannot be overstated. I think the catalogue of music, both live and studio, in the post LeRoi era speaks for itself in that regard.

DMB would never have been DMB without LeRoi and Boyd.
    I'd say more LeRoi and Carter.
    Beauford3641 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
    best thread ever , groogrux king , leroi moore