The Investment Thread (help with savings, stocks, retirement funds, etc.) - Page 57 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 04-11-2019, 11:51 AM   #1681
Route_2
What Album?

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Re: The Investment Thread (help with savings, stocks, retirement funds, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC41 View Post
I read the other day that 45% of Boomers do not have anything saved for retirement. While the basic principles for building wealth may have not changed significantly, it's definitely worthwhile to make sure Millennials understand those principles so they are not in the position so many Boomers are.
I'm interested to see how this plays out over the next few decades. SS and Medicare will not be enough for most of these folks. They can try to keep working, but with coming automation and ageism in hiring it could be very dire straights for some. If it gets really bad will there be some form of government intervention?

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 04-11-2019, 11:54 AM   #1682
    rconverse

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by UNC41 View Post
    I read the other day that 45% of Boomers do not have anything saved for retirement. While the basic principles for building wealth may have not changed significantly, it's definitely worthwhile to make sure Millennials understand those principles so they are not in the position so many Boomers are.
    Yes, for sure. It seems like every other month, I read another article about how less than 50% of people can get ahold of $1,000 in a pinch.

In a sense, it's kind of like losing weight. We all "know" the recipe to do it, we just don't always have the self-discipline to stay the course.
    rconverse is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-11-2019, 11:58 AM   #1683
    rconverse

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Route_2 View Post
    I'm interested to see how this plays out over the next few decades. SS and Medicare will not be enough for most of these folks. They can try to keep working, but with coming automation and ageism in hiring it could be very dire straights for some. If it gets really bad will there be some form of government intervention?
    Was thinking about this last night. The whole potential upcoming retirement crisis and student loan crisis haven't necessarily gone away.
    Old 04-11-2019, 12:06 PM   #1684
    UNC41
    Gimme Dat

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Route_2 View Post
    I am interested as well. We have far too many people approaching a typical retirement age with nowhere near enough money to retire on.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rconverse View Post
    Yes, for sure. It seems like every other month, I read another article about how less than 50% of people can get ahold of $1,000 in a pinch.

In a sense, it's kind of like losing weight. We all "know" the recipe to do it, we just don't always have the self-discipline to stay the course.
    I don't agree that the majority of people are knowledgable about what it will take to have enough saved to retire on. I would be surprised if more than 50% of people understood the importance of compound interest.

You white, then you Ben Affleck.
    UNC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-11-2019, 12:51 PM   #1685
    RiotAct

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scrock25 View Post
    Is this like, not a thing or something?

I was 21 when I graduated college and got my first job, signed up for my 401k first day on the job - they matched 100% up to 6%.

People that don't sign up for their 401k at the first opportunity are morons.
    I would say putting away 12% towards retirement among twentysomethings (and hell, even folks in their 30s and 40s) is pretty rare. I'm investing 10% of my gross income right now at age 31, but from age 23-29 I was only doing 4%.

07.18.2019 - R.I.P. Last Stop jam/reprise
    RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-11-2019, 03:45 PM   #1686
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

Location: Give me BETHEL or give me death.... death, death it is then

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

The Investment Thread (help with savings, stocks, retirement funds, etc.)

I’ve been maxing 403b since 2017. My first few months in 2016 I just matched what my employer gives me (employer doesn’t match, just hands me 8%).

My 403b has made back what I lost in December and then some so happy there. I’ll have my Roth maxed out next week.

When I total all my savings, checking, and retirement accounts, I have over 100% years salary possible at age 29 years and 9 months. Eliminating my debt has literally turned all I have into net worth. And it’s amazing to see it grow when that expense isn’t there each month.

To the 23 yo, I think you’ll be in better position than me at age 29. I know nothing about the nitty gritty investment side—meeting with a different professional soon—but I think by sheer numbers you’ll be in a better relative position than me. Good work

And thanks to all in the this thread. Just the way you talk and make suggestions for priority really solidified my mindset and influenced my diligence
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prime Minister
    In fairness Brian Wilson's Beard > Amy Winehouse & the grammys & spoot.

Last edited by cry_minarets458; 04-11-2019 at 03:46 PM.
    cry_minarets458 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-13-2019, 07:21 AM   #1687
    recentlyJTR41
    Boognish

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Bought the Intelligent Investor last week. Can't wait to dive in.
    Old 04-18-2019, 08:35 AM   #1688
    42graystreet
    Go Big Red!

Shows Seen: 88

My Tour Central Stats

Does anyone have recommendations on sites, tools or otherwise that can help in choosing funds in a 401(k)? I have been looking at my employer 401(k) and I definitely have some re-allocating to do. I have looked at ALL the articles and tools for how much I should allocate stocks vs bonds but now I'm debating which specific funds available to me to select.

How much weight should I give to a fund's annual operating expenses? For stock funds, I don't have many to choose from and they are starkly different in terms of expenses. My 401(k) is managed by Vanguard and they give me 2 Vanguard index funds which are dirt cheap (0.01%, 0.05%) and 3 funds managed by Primecap and T. Rowe Price which are significantly more expensive (0.64%-0.66%) but appear over the long run to beat their benchmarks by a point or two. The cheaper Vanguard index funds don't have long-term performance data but have been matching their market sector since inception. Should you always go for the cheapest funds or does that percentage point above the benchmark more than cover the additional operating expenses?

I've tried using the free Morningstar tool but it's not the easiest tool to use and interpret. I'm too dumb, I guess.
    Old 04-20-2019, 08:27 AM   #1689
    Benny003

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Operating expenses is hugely important. For your 401k go with low cost index funds all day long. You have Vanguard for your 401k? That is perfect. I would suggest following this for a 3-fund mix. It's what I've been doing for a couple years.

https://www.wallstreetphysician.com/...nd-portfolios/
    Benny003 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-20-2019, 06:02 PM   #1690
    drakan
    Drums!

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by recentlyJTR41 View Post
    Bought the Intelligent Investor last week. Can't wait to dive in.
    Have you read everything by Jack Bogle first?
    drakan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-21-2019, 05:03 AM   #1691
    spccowboy1

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

I swear I saw it on this thread but someone referenced a free PDF book along the lines of "How to invest for millennials" or something along the line of that. I went back 20 pages and couldn't find it. I wanted to grab it for my next trip. Does this ring a bell for anyone?
    spccowboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-21-2019, 07:41 AM   #1692
    snake911

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spccowboy1 View Post
    I swear I saw it on this thread but someone referenced a free PDF book along the lines of "How to invest for millennials" or something along the line of that. I went back 20 pages and couldn't find it. I wanted to grab it for my next trip. Does this ring a bell for anyone?
    https://www.etf.com/docs/IfYouCan.pdf

It's this one. "How Millennials Can Get Rich Slowly". Really great read, follows the Bogle principles pretty tightly.

To the above poster, stick with Vanguard. The other funds that "appear" to beat a benchmark in the long-term aren't doing it long-term enough. 10 year averages don't mean much, it almost a guarantee they cant do it for 15-20 and that is what you are investing towards.
    snake911 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-22-2019, 05:03 AM   #1693
    RiotAct

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by drakan View Post
    Have you read everything by Jack Bogle first?
    exactly -- bogleheads.org baby!

"Don't just do something, stand there!"

07.18.2019 - R.I.P. Last Stop jam/reprise
    RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-22-2019, 05:41 AM   #1694
    rlindstrom82

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snake911 View Post
    https://www.etf.com/docs/IfYouCan.pdf

It's this one. "How Millennials Can Get Rich Slowly". Really great read, follows the Bogle principles pretty tightly.

To the above poster, stick with Vanguard. The other funds that "appear" to beat a benchmark in the long-term aren't doing it long-term enough. 10 year averages don't mean much, it almost a guarantee they cant do it for 15-20 and that is what you are investing towards.
    Thank you!
    rlindstrom82 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-22-2019, 09:56 AM   #1695
    snake911

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rlindstrom82 View Post
    Thank you!
    Of course, enjoy your retirement!
    snake911 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-22-2019, 11:28 AM   #1696
    rconverse

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Yeah, I mentioned it a few pages back. If you do pick it up and read it, let us know what you think.
    Old 04-22-2019, 11:46 AM   #1697
    Brohan_Santana

Shows Seen: 76

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    https://www.amazon.com/Set-Life-Domi.../dp/B06Y15M786

Check out this book. Not gimmicky at all & gives real life implementable results.

This book requires a little more radical changes, more aggressive investing strategies but much better mindset
    Brohan_Santana is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-22-2019, 12:46 PM   #1698
    TheLastStop123
    paper hands

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

this review of that book is hilarious

I'll spoiler it since it's so long:

Click the "Show Spoiler" Button to reveal hidden text.

$250 in rent, give me a break why didn't he just say he moved in with his parents.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FromTheMorning View Post
    Antsmarching.org: Came for the DMBc, stayed for the nDMBc.
    TheLastStop123 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-22-2019, 01:32 PM   #1699
    42graystreet
    Go Big Red!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benny003 View Post
    Operating expenses is hugely important. For your 401k go with low cost index funds all day long. You have Vanguard for your 401k? That is perfect. I would suggest following this for a 3-fund mix. It's what I've been doing for a couple years.

https://www.wallstreetphysician.com/...nd-portfolios/
    Thanks for the link. I hadn't read that one yet. I've basically did what they suggested. Unfortunately, the options in my 401(k) are really lacking. My new allocation going forward:

60% Vanguard Target Retirement 2050
    20% Vanguard Institutional Extended Market Index
    20% Vanguard Institutional 500 Index

This is a portfolio heavy in stocks which I am okay with. The Target Date fund includes foreign stock and bonds so I'm getting exposure to those types of assets in that. All 3 of these funds have annual operating fees of 0.07% or less. This allocation should be good for me to set it and forget it for the next decade.

Prior to updating my allocation, I found that my 401(k) had 5% in a "savings trust" which is basically cash. Jesus Christ. I can't believe I could've been that dumb. Check your 401(k) funds, people.
    Old 04-22-2019, 07:49 PM   #1700
    rconverse

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastStop123 View Post
    this review of that book is hilarious

I'll spoiler it since it's so long:

Click the "Show Spoiler" Button to reveal hidden text.

$250 in rent, give me a break why didn't he just say he moved in with his parents.
    I can't even imagine what shithole would cost $250/month almost anywhere in the country.
    Old 04-23-2019, 05:23 PM   #1701
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I can't even imagine what shithole would cost $250/month almost anywhere in the country.
    100 sq ft, <= 2 rats, utilities not included
    unccrombie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-23-2019, 05:28 PM   #1702
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

Location: Give me BETHEL or give me death.... death, death it is then

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    my grad school apartment was a 2 bedroom summer home on a lake that wasn't transitioned to year round living. so it was cold in the winter.
    utilities were free aside from gas. i think my roommate and i split all costs and i never paid over $275 a month.

that being said, in the spring time, the groudn thawed and i guess it wasn't used to having 2 full adults living in it with our stuff. the living room wall fractured

but, all and in all, it was a great place for what we wanted
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prime Minister
    In fairness Brian Wilson's Beard > Amy Winehouse & the grammys & spoot.

Last edited by cry_minarets458; 04-23-2019 at 05:29 PM.
    cry_minarets458 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-24-2019, 06:57 AM   #1703
    MOWJO8185

Shows Seen: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Is anyone using a 529 plan for K-12 tuition at a private school, not just college planning? In Missouri we can deduct state taxes for anything we contribute, and obviously withdrawals for qualified tuition expenses are tax free as well, but I've never invested for an expense so short term. We have college 529's that are set up using the target date, but I have a daughter in kindergarten now that it seems I should be utilizing this for just for tax purposes, but I'm not sure what the strategy should be. Do I try to put her full year's tuition into a super conservative account and withdraw her tuition monthly from that just to get the deduction on the contributions? Do I just contribute a lump sum now into a slightly more aggressive fund and then just pay her tuition out of my bank account for the next couple years and let that lump sum grow to be utilized later in middle school and high school? I can't quite wrap my head around what makes the most sense.
    MOWJO8185 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-24-2019, 07:44 AM   #1704
    42graystreet
    Go Big Red!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MOWJO8185 View Post
    Is anyone using a 529 plan for K-12 tuition at a private school, not just college planning? In Missouri we can deduct state taxes for anything we contribute, and obviously withdrawals for qualified tuition expenses are tax free as well, but I've never invested for an expense so short term. We have college 529's that are set up using the target date, but I have a daughter in kindergarten now that it seems I should be utilizing this for just for tax purposes, but I'm not sure what the strategy should be. Do I try to put her full year's tuition into a super conservative account and withdraw her tuition monthly from that just to get the deduction on the contributions? Do I just contribute a lump sum now into a slightly more aggressive fund and then just pay her tuition out of my bank account for the next couple years and let that lump sum grow to be utilized later in middle school and high school? I can't quite wrap my head around what makes the most sense.
    Assuming your state and 529 plan allows this (most do), I would open 2 accounts. One with a conservative funding for the short term and one with aggressive funding for the later years that you reallocate more conservatively as you get closer to using that money.
    Old 04-24-2019, 11:05 AM   #1705
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 42graystreet View Post
    Assuming your state and 529 plan allows this (most do), I would open 2 accounts. One with a conservative funding for the short term and one with aggressive funding for the later years that you reallocate more conservatively as you get closer to using that money.
    If you have the means to do that financially, then that sounds like a best of both worlds option. Nice that the 529 can be used to deduct state taxes. I get zero tax benefit for my 529 contributions except not paying taxes on the growth of course.
    Old 04-24-2019, 11:33 AM   #1706
    42graystreet
    Go Big Red!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    If you have the means to do that financially, then that sounds like a best of both worlds option. Nice that the 529 can be used to deduct state taxes. I get zero tax benefit for my 529 contributions except not paying taxes on the growth of course.
    Yeah, I was going on the assumption he had the ability to fund both short term and long term tuition expenses. If it's one or the other, I would fund long term tuition expenses so my money had a chance to generate tax free earnings. As long as our economy doesn't go boom, the tuition expenses later in the kid's education would be paid for only partly by your own contributions and partly by the 529 earnings.
    Old 04-24-2019, 11:33 AM   #1707
    MOWJO8185

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yeah, apparently to be able to deduct it, it just has to reside in the 529 at some point, isn't required to stay in there for any amount of time. So I guess I'll literally just shovel her tuition for the current school year into a conservative account relatively soon before withdrawing it and paying it to the school just to be able to deduct it? And then have a longer-term one for future years that I will just put in what I can.
    Old 04-24-2019, 12:00 PM   #1708
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yeah, apparently to be able to deduct it, it just has to reside in the 529 at some point, isn't required to stay in there for any amount of time. So I guess I'll literally just shovel her tuition for the current school year into a conservative account relatively soon before withdrawing it and paying it to the school just to be able to deduct it? And then have a longer-term one for future years that I will just put in what I can.
    Makes sense if that's how it works. Kind of ridiculous though that they give a tax break just for putting it in there and pulling it out, but take advantage of it if that's how it works.
    Old 04-24-2019, 12:21 PM   #1709
    MOWJO8185

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Makes sense if that's how it works. Kind of ridiculous though that they give a tax break just for putting it in there and pulling it out, but take advantage of it if that's how it works.
    It seems super weird to me too and that's why I'm a little gunshy about it, but everything I've read indicates that's how it works, at least for now. Could be a little loophole that they close up if too many people do it so I guess I'll just have to keep my eye on if they change the law.
    Old 04-24-2019, 12:57 PM   #1710
    42graystreet
    Go Big Red!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It seems super weird to me too and that's why I'm a little gunshy about it, but everything I've read indicates that's how it works, at least for now. Could be a little loophole that they close up if too many people do it so I guess I'll just have to keep my eye on if they change the law.
    Hopefully there's some fine print in the 529 plan you have (or someone you can call?) to verify there is no time limit in keeping the funds in there even for qualifying withdrawals. I did a cursory google search and couldn't find anything that discusses potential penalties for withdrawing funds that were just put into a 529 (for qualifying expenses, obv).