When DMB's musical heroes are the opening band - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 04-12-2021, 06:59 AM   #1
GraceBuckley

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

When DMB's musical heroes are the opening band

The pandemic has meant I've had a lot of time to go through boxes and think about a lot of the past. Recently found my tiny little envelope of DMB photos from the years I actively saw them.

Also, today saw on IG that it's Herbie Hancock's birthday. My mom loved Herbie Hancock, and there is no question DMB had outrageous respect and admiration & got so much inspiration from him in many of his musical forms.

There's the game-changing fact that he was in the Miles Davis Quartet, and that was early in his career! He's put out so many award-winning albums, and one of his jazz albums is only 1 of 2 to ever win the Grammy for "Album of the Year" over all the rock & other genre nominees.

I don't know if he opened for DMB any other year than 1998, but one of the most precious memories I have from any of my DMB days is the time in 1998 I got to eat dinner after soundcheck at a tiny round table in catering with Dave, Roi, and Mr. Herbie Hancock himself. I will never, ever forget that. It is really something to get to be right there as 2 people whose musical talent so many of us bow down to (Dave & Roi) sit and talk to/listen to someone that they (and I, in this case) absolutely bow down to.

That same day was also - does DMB still do a full band & crew photo every year (or every touring year) for a DMB calendar for the next year? This day in '98 was the day to take that pic. After they took that pic, just the band & Herbie Hancock (& I think the Headhunters, one of his most amazing projects I think they were back together for this?) posed for this pic. This was 23 yrs ago and it's from far away so I'm gonna assume no one in the band would have an issue with me posting this. I just remember how excited they were and how they looked all calm the whole time but I saw a band member or 2, when Herbie & band were not around, completely nerd out, and it was the best thing ever to witness!

So here's a link to the IG video that inspired me to write this post: Herbie Hancock in I think 1974 explaining his technical set up to Quincy Jones. I'll put the pic of the bands together in the comments since I don't think I can post 2 links? Or can I?

But I also wanted to ask you guys, what openers did you guys see that you knew (either from band interviews or from any intros the band did or any comments during the show) the band was totally inspired and amazed they had supporting them? Did anyone see James Brown support at MSG? I was not there. Who else? I feel like even though Robert Randolph was an up and coming artist at the time he first opened for them, they felt like he was crazy talented (can't say he had "hero status" but I have no idea on that one).

Who did you see open that either was legendary or in the band's eyes had legendary talent?

Herbie Hancock & Quincy Jones:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNkRjpknAbd/
GraceBuckley is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 04-12-2021, 07:03 AM   #2
    dmbfan4ever
    IamwhoiamwhoamI

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Re: When DMB's musical heroes are the opening band

I don’t know if they’re heroes of the band, but I think The Black Crowes opening for them in 2008 at Busch was a big deal.
    Old 04-12-2021, 07:05 AM   #3
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

And here's the pic:
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg DMB & Herbie Hancock & Headhunters.jpg (72.5 KB, 57 views)
    Old 04-12-2021, 07:08 AM   #4
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbfan4ever View Post
    I don’t know if they’re heroes of the band, but I think The Black Crowes opening for them in 2008 at Busch was a big deal.
    That must've been a reunion show, were the Black Crowes already broken up before that and got back together?

Yeah, I mean, I never heard anyone discuss how they choose opening bands but suffice to say as one of the biggest touring bands in the US any year they tour, DMB has a LOT of power in who they choose, so I'd guess someone associated with DMB was a big fan of the Black Crowes?

Did you see that tour? How was it? Was there any cross-band guesting?

Last edited by GraceBuckley; 04-12-2021 at 07:10 AM.
    Old 04-12-2021, 07:09 AM   #5
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

CORRECTION: It was the Miles Davis QUINTET, not Quartet. My bad!
    Old 04-12-2021, 07:11 AM   #6
    dmbfan4ever
    IamwhoiamwhoamI

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GraceBuckley View Post
    That must've been a reunion show, were the Black Crowes already broken up before that and got back together?

Yeah, I mean, I never heard anyone discuss how they choose opening bands but suffice to say as one of the biggest touring bands in the US any year they tour, DMB has a LOT of power in who they choose, so I'd guess someone associated with DMB was a big fan of the Black Crowes?

Did you see that tour? How was it? Was there any cross-band guesting?
    Yeah i saw 10 shows in 2008, but I don’t remember them opening any other shows. There was no cross-band guesting that I’m aware of at Busch (Live Trax 13)
    Old 04-12-2021, 07:21 AM   #7
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yeah i saw 10 shows in 2008, but I don’t remember them opening any other shows. There was no cross-band guesting that I’m aware of at Busch (Live Trax 13)
    Oh wow it was a 1 time thing? Cool! Yeah, that fits, I'm sure it was special all around!

Actually, the very last show I was going to go to before lockdown really kicked in was the Love Rocks Benefit in NYC at the Beacon Theater. I could be wrong but I think the Black Crowes were on the bill along with Dave! It was Thurs Mar 12, and I realized by Wed Mar 11 I couldn't take a train with all the crazy news going on, and then on Mar 12 they changed it at the last minute to all the acts DID still play, but no live audience beyond band guests. And they livestreamed it to those who had tix (but also still gave refunds, thank goodness).

So interesting, maybe that wasn't a coincidence they were both on that bill, if I'm remembering correctly...
    Old 04-12-2021, 11:43 AM   #8
    dancheatham

Shows Seen: 72

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Neil Young & Crazy Horse opened for DMB in Charlottesville in 2001. I always say that DMB closed for Neil Young.
    Old 04-12-2021, 11:47 AM   #9
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dancheatham View Post
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse opened for DMB in Charlottesville in 2001. I always say that DMB closed for Neil Young.
    WOW!! Seriously? Yeah, no question, that WOULD be DMB closing for Neil Young! Were you there? That would be astounding.

I saw the Bridge School that same year, with Dave as a guest (and Pearl Jam), right after Sept 11. So that's the closest I've seen to Neil & Dave/DMB together...
    Old 04-12-2021, 12:09 PM   #10
    HonestDenver1

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

I really enjoyed it when Snoop Dogg opened up. I know he's a personal hero of Daves.
    HonestDenver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-12-2021, 12:21 PM   #11
    alec

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Toots & The Maytals at The Forum in Los Angeles, CA on the Fall 98 tour.

Taj Mahal opened the first show I saw (5.20.98), though I missed his set.
    alec is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-12-2021, 12:47 PM   #12
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

Wow, all 3 of those (Snoop Dogg, Taj Mahal (YES!) and Toots & The Maytals) would have been A-MAY-ZING to see!

And I gotta believe that most of the band are Snoop fans and that the entire band are Taj Mahal and Toots fans cuz, like, how can anyone who deeply loves music not be?

Cool stuff.
    Old 04-12-2021, 12:49 PM   #13
    bowa36

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Kool & the Gang opened for them in 2013
    Old 04-12-2021, 01:00 PM   #14
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bowa36 View Post
    Kool & the Gang opened for them in 2013
    I think I might have heard about one, were you there? Or was anyone here there? How were they and how did that combo go over with the crowd?
    Old 04-12-2021, 06:15 PM   #15
    YankeesDMB41
    King Tailgate I

Shows Seen: 62

My Tour Central Stats

Jimmy Cliff opened for DMB in 2012 and I remember Dave saying at the show it was a huge deal to him. Izod Center I believe. I think he was already in the Rock and Roll HOF by that time.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post
    You're just as terrible a person as Toysoldier is.
    YankeesDMB41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-12-2021, 08:01 PM   #16
    jaymas9

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    They opened at Hershey that year, did not guest on any Dmb songs I don't think.
    Old 04-12-2021, 08:48 PM   #17
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by YankeesDMB41 View Post
    Jimmy Cliff opened for DMB in 2012 and I remember Dave saying at the show it was a huge deal to him. Izod Center I believe. I think he was already in the Rock and Roll HOF by that time.
    That's another great example! Would really love to have seen that show, and Toots & the Maytals...
    Old 04-13-2021, 03:58 PM   #18
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Wow OP, that is an amazing story. Herbie Hancock is a huge idol of mine. I had the pleasure to see him and Wayne Shorter live as a duet, just piano and saxophone. Was the most interesting concert I've ever seen. Definitely bucket list stuff for me, as I'm a huge fan of both Herbie and Weather Report.

I haven't seen many openers for the band, but I have seen Branford Marsalis (another one of my favorite musicians) play with DMB. Also.. we were all supposed to see Bela and the Flecktones open at the Gorge in 2020.
    Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-13-2021, 04:51 PM   #19
    fuvonks
    Catching a buzz

Shows Seen: 98

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Taylor Swift in 2010. She should have been the headliner. If the NFL would have known that tall, awkward, lanky 20 year old would be the biggest pop star a few years later.

All we got was Burning Down the House with Trombone shorty.
    fuvonks is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-14-2021, 07:53 AM   #20
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fuvonks View Post
    Taylor Swift in 2010. She should have been the headliner. If the NFL would have known that tall, awkward, lanky 20 year old would be the biggest pop star a few years later.

All we got was Burning Down the House with Trombone shorty.
    So TaySwizzle just did that one song? Or she also did her own set?

Was she really not a super-selling star yet in 2010? It seems like she's been a top pop star forever LOL!
    Old 04-14-2021, 08:08 AM   #21
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman View Post
    Wow OP, that is an amazing story. Herbie Hancock is a huge idol of mine. I had the pleasure to see him and Wayne Shorter live as a duet, just piano and saxophone. Was the most interesting concert I've ever seen. Definitely bucket list stuff for me, as I'm a huge fan of both Herbie and Weather Report.

I haven't seen many openers for the band, but I have seen Branford Marsalis (another one of my favorite musicians) play with DMB. Also.. we were all supposed to see Bela and the Flecktones open at the Gorge in 2020.
    Cool, his career is insanely impressive and astounding!

Something I left out but you'll appreciate is that either earlier that day or the next day... I saved Herbie Hancock's life! Ok maybe that's a little dramatic, but I got in the elevator at the band's hotel, many people already in it. Then Herbie Hancock started to enter but as he did, someone behind him said something to him so he was standing in the doorway with his head turned, when the doors started to close. Most elevators by then had those sensors built in so the doors wouldn't close if even an arm was in the way, much less a whole body. But the doors started to close and started smushing his shoulders and he turned and looked alarmed and it took a moment to figure out what was going on! There were other people closer to the buttons but no one moved so I leapt to find & hit "door open" and the doors started to open again, but I will never forget being face to face with Herbie Hancock looking right into his alarmed face & shmooshed body!

I guess since I've never been a real musician myself, that was my good deed for the world of music, because he truly is a national treasure!

(And no, I don't really think he'd have died, but it was alarming!)
    Old 04-14-2021, 08:10 AM   #22
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman View Post

Also did you catch that Dust to Digital clip of him and Quincy Jones in 1984? Don't miss that, it's an amazing little time capsule!
    Old 04-15-2021, 06:59 PM   #23
    BigHappy
    creeping up heavy

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

http://dmbalmanac.com/TourShowSet.as...=98&where=2008
    Old 04-15-2021, 07:26 PM   #24
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigHappy View Post
    I had to really search around that link to figure out what you were linking to, but YES!! Willie Nelson as the opener?? Unbelievable! Were you there?

My last show was right around this time, but we didn't get Willie as an opener (but it was still a show Roi couldn't play because of the accident).

Even though I know DMB played with Willie (or on same bill) at Farm Aid at some point (right?), how mind blowing it must've been to have him open!

Or is this another case of "DMB closed after Willie"? Thanks for link!