Does the new forthcoming studio album make you more or less excited for the 18 tour? - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
View Poll Results: Does the new forthcoming studio album make you more or less excited for the 18 tour?
More 46 38.02%
Less 21 17.36%
Equal / Indifferent 54 44.63%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-17-2018, 10:02 PM   #1
Toast and Jelly

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Does the new forthcoming studio album make you more or less excited for the 18 tour?

promo tours ain't always primo tours
Toast and Jelly is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-18-2018, 01:51 AM   #2
    spoot388

Shows Seen: 94

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Does the new forthcoming studio album make you more or less excited for the 18 to

a little less excited simply because i'm not wild about most of the new songs that will likely be played a ton. they're not necessarily bad songs, but theres just nothing that wows me about them. they're going to get really old, really quick considering we've been hearing most of them a bunch already before the album is even out. i'm honestly kind of hoping they pull a stand up and don't put any of the recently road tested songs on the album. outside of 2 or 3, the other 10 or so from the last 3 years can easily be forgotten.
    Old 01-18-2018, 03:47 AM   #3
    scrock25

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Does the new forthcoming studio album make you more or less excited for the 18 to

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spoot388 View Post
    a little less excited simply because i'm not wild about most of the new songs that will likely be played a ton. they're not necessarily bad songs, but theres just nothing that wows me about them. they're going to get really old, really quick considering we've been hearing most of them a bunch already before the album is even out. i'm honestly kind of hoping they pull a stand up and don't put any of the recently road tested songs on the album. outside of 2 or 3, the other 10 or so from the last 3 years can easily be forgotten.
    You haven’t read the other album thread, have you?

Pull a Stand Up, or an Everyday, or a BTCS, or a BWGK, or an AFTW.... outside of their very first two studio efforts (stockpiled writing), and Busted Stuff (obvious), they do not have a track record of puttting road tested songs on their studio releases. I’d imagine that trend will continue with this release, hopefully anyways as this batch of songs sucks.
    scrock25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2018, 04:26 AM   #4
    chrisjuniper

Shows Seen: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scrock25 View Post
    You haven’t read the other album thread, have you?

Pull a Stand Up, or an Everyday, or a BTCS, or a BWGK, or an AFTW.... outside of their very first two studio efforts (stockpiled writing), and Busted Stuff (obvious), they do not have a track record of puttting road tested songs on their studio releases. I’d imagine that trend will continue with this release, hopefully anyways as this batch of songs sucks.
    this is our only hope. but common sense says it's not a good album and they know it. that's why its announcement was a one line blurb shoved beneath a tour announcement about how it's coming this summer and that it's free with a ticket.
    chrisjuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2018, 04:41 AM   #5
    RiotAct

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Equal/indifferent. It will be cool to hear the new stuff, but I fear that most of those new songs will just be “ehhh”.

07.18.2019 - R.I.P. Last Stop jam/reprise
    RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2018, 04:56 AM   #6
    scrock25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chrisjuniper View Post
    this is our only hope. but common sense says it's not a good album and they know it. that's why its announcement was a one line blurb shoved beneath a tour announcement about how it's coming this summer and that it's free with a ticket.
    I don’t get how you people deduce the shit you do
    Old 01-18-2018, 04:56 AM   #7
    Hilly

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

The benefit of an album tour is that you get to see live versions of pretty much all the songs. And as time goes on, a lot of those songs will fall to the wayside. If you want to hear a live version of a song from the new album, this tour is your best shot.
    Old 01-18-2018, 05:00 AM   #8
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

A little bit less, if I'm being honest. I actually like the newer stuff quite a bit, particularly Bismarck/Black & Blue Bird/Bob Law/Do You Remember.

However, I'm making my first trip to the Gorge, and I'd love it to be 3 nights of old material rather than basically a full show worth of the new stuff spread over the nights.

Obviously I'm still extremely excited to make my first trip out there, and we'll have a great time, but I'd be lying if I said the thought of a bunch of new songs in the sets didn't have me a bit bummed. Perhaps it's just from the '09 and '12 tours shoving those songs down our throats and playing them to death that has left a bad taste in my mouth. And who knows, maybe these songs will be fantastic and will be a treat to get to hear live.

We are America, second to none, and we own the finish line! Don't forget it!
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2018, 05:07 AM   #9
    Tomacco

Shows Seen: 134

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Depends what’s on the album. If it means hearing the same new songs I heard repeatedly in 2015/2016, then less excited for sure. If the album is mostly new songs then I’m excited for fresh material Live.
    Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2018, 05:29 AM   #10
    BruceW

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Indifferent. They've been touring for > 25 years, I think I can handle seeing new material as long as it's good.
    BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2018, 05:39 AM   #11
    snow1868
    Party in the back!

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Just like every DMB tour since 2010, meh. I may go to the Tampa show but I'm not planning my summer around it.

Remember the Ten 1/27/01 4 Ever 11/17/11
    snow1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2018, 05:41 AM   #12
    scrock25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snow1868 View Post
    Just like every DMB tour since 2010, meh. I may go to the Tampa show but I'm not planning my summer around it.
    This, last full band show I’ve seen was 2014, before that it was 2008. I never did plan my summer around it - but if I can snag a ticket to Darien or Syracuse and can plan with the family to be able to go I’ll go.
    Old 01-18-2018, 05:44 AM   #13
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

If it's all new stuff, I'm not really seeing a reason to assume it will be any better than the new songs. I also don't see any reason to think they'll stop playing the new (road) songs.

That's not exactly a recipe for a great tour, so I'm decidedly less excited. If the new (album) songs are great, maybe I'll add a couple shows down the road.
    Old 01-18-2018, 05:49 AM   #14
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

Shows Seen: 44

My Tour Central Stats

I'm really excited to see some live debuts, not gunna assume they'll all be great, but I like most of the newer stuff, so as long as it's on par with the latest batch, I'll enjoy it. Also, a huge factor is what other songs they fill the sets with, and which rarities they decide to Bust out (come on, Busted Stuff). I'm really looking forward to this tour, and hey, it is the 20th anniversary of the greatest of all albums, maybe we'll get a good representation?
    Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2018, 06:16 AM   #15
    willndmb

Shows Seen: 105

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Toast and Jelly View Post
    promo tours ain't always primo tours
    Exactly, most of the "new songs" we heard are decent at best and I really don't want to hear them much and def don't at 95% of shows.

Less
    willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2018, 06:18 AM   #16
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman View Post
    I'm really excited to see some live debuts, not gunna assume they'll all be great, but I like most of the newer stuff, so as long as it's on par with the latest batch, I'll enjoy it. Also, a huge factor is what other songs they fill the sets with, and which rarities they decide to Bust out (come on, Busted Stuff).
    Agreed. If they fill sets around the new songs with deep cuts and hard-core favorites, then that's one thing. But I fully expect too many Squirm openers and Shake Me closers, with Belly Belly Nice in the 3 spot and Sister E1s throughout the tour. Hope I'm wrong there.

Quote:
    I'm really looking forward to this tour, and hey, it is the 20th anniversary of the greatest of all albums, maybe we'll get a good representation?

Old 01-18-2018, 06:38 AM   #17
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

Shows Seen: 44

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    Agreed. If they fill sets around the new songs with deep cuts and hard-core favorites, then that's one thing. But I fully expect too many Squirm openers and Shake Me closers, with Belly Belly Nice in the 3 spot and Sister E1s throughout the tour. Hope I'm wrong there.

Yeah, haha, I remember the 2016 tour (20th of Crash) and I was hoping to get Let You Down, perhaps as an opener or E1 spot. Didn't happen...
    Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2018, 06:47 AM   #18
    DMBCardinal

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

More excited obviously. Live shows have been pretty stale recently so I'm all for some new stuff. I do like the majority of the new songs we've heard over the past few years as well.
    DMBCardinal is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2018, 07:01 AM   #19
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Right now, less excited.

After I hear the album that may change. But as of right now, given DMB's track record with album release tours, I'm less than thrilled to hear 8 new songs out of 21 songs.
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2018, 07:18 AM   #20
    RiotAct

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    Right now, less excited.

After I hear the album that may change. But as of right now, given DMB's track record with album release tours, I'm less than thrilled to hear 8 new songs out of 21 songs.
    Aren't most setlists in the 17-18 song range?

Old 01-18-2018, 07:30 AM   #21
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

My Tour Central Stats

I’m about the same as usual. We know what to expect with album tours. So I don’t imagine it’ll be any different.
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2018, 07:34 AM   #22
    SystemofaBrown

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Always excited for new material but I think my overall excitement for the tour depends on setlist variety. I remember a lot of repeats on both nights of two night stands during 2005 for “Stand Up” and 2009 for “Big Whiskey” at Deer Creek. Thankfully that wasn’t the case with “AFTW”...

I really like a lot of the songs that have debuted the last few summers, but potentially back to back nights of “Plastic Girl” or “Be Yourself” being played twice in a weekend for an album tour? No thanks.
    SystemofaBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2018, 08:52 AM   #23
    Hilly

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yeah, haha, I remember the 2016 tour (20th of Crash) and I was hoping to get Let You Down, perhaps as an opener or E1 spot. Didn't happen...
    Fans care more about gimmicks and anniversaries than the band seems to.
    Old 01-18-2018, 09:04 AM   #24
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Equal/indifferent, unless it surprises me and it's a great record, which I'm not anticipating at this point.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hilly View Post
    Fans care more about gimmicks and anniversaries than the band seems to.
    I don't agree with Hilly often, but this is spot on.
    coldengrey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2018, 09:18 AM   #25
    Roose13
    Ring the Bell

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

I'm likely not going to a show so I'm indifferent. But I'm at least intrigued to hear how the new album sounds, regardless if it's full of the underwhelming songs we heard live already.

NHL Thread Banner
    -2013-14 Keith Yandle Award winner-
    -2014-15 Buccigross Award winner-
    -2015-16 Darren Dreger Award winner-
    -2016-17 Damien Cox Award winner-
    Roose13 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2018, 09:22 AM   #26
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

If the new album contains a lot of the old mid-2000's songs, then it changes this question dramatically. My excitement for shows would definitely increase if Break Free, Sugar Will, IOY, Shotgun, Crazy Easy, Kill the King, etc all make the cut with just a few of the newer road tested tunes and 1-2 completely new tracks making it.

But that just doesn't seem likely.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:36 AM   #27
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RiotAct View Post
    Aren't most setlists in the 17-18 song range?
    Probably been a while since I went DMB setlist browsing. If it's 17 instead of 21 then that's even worse when you have 7-8 new songs thrown into the mix.
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2018, 11:45 AM   #28
    RiotAct

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    Probably been a while since I went DMB setlist browsing. If it's 17 instead of 21 then that's even worse when you have 7-8 new songs thrown into the mix.
    Actually we were both pretty close; I checked some of the 2016 sets and pretty much every one was in the 17-20 song range.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:01 PM   #29
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

I'm just excited for the band to be back. If the album is mostly the 2015-17 songs then it won't be much different from those years in terms of sets. I'm fine with that. If it's mostly unheard material it will depend on which ones Dave chooses to play every night.
    Old 01-18-2018, 12:04 PM   #30
    spiza

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

If they replace Seven Jimi Thing Spaceman and You Might Die Trying i am all for it
    spiza is offline   Reply With Quote