***Official No Alpine Valley In 2018*** - Page 12 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion > DMB Tour Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 09-14-2018, 11:17 PM   #331
SeekNancyUp
Answer is always yes...

Shows Seen: 90

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Re: ***Official No Alpine Valley In 2018***

Dave, please troll this. Please do not tease Monkey Man.
SeekNancyUp is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-26-2018, 09:29 AM   #332
    bolstad79

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

So, when is to early to book the resort????
    bolstad79 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-26-2018, 09:30 AM   #333
    dmbolp
    GO GATORS!!!

Shows Seen: 150

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bolstad79 View Post
    So, when is to early to book the resort????
    Don't think they take reservations this many months in advance
    Old 09-29-2018, 04:04 AM   #334
    bolstad79

Shows Seen: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbolp View Post
    I booked the 4th of July weekend on Friday.
    bolstad79 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-03-2018, 07:14 AM   #335
    cjavors

Shows Seen: 59

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Not sure if there have been other shows to already announce, but Hootie & Blowfish just announced a tour and are playing Alpine in August.
    cjavors is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-03-2018, 07:39 AM   #336
    josh4127

Shows Seen: 108

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbolp View Post
    Yeah I booked the resort already too. They said there weren’t many rooms left.
    josh4127 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-03-2018, 11:25 AM   #337
    Zags85

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by josh4127 View Post
    Yeah I booked the resort already too. They said there weren’t many rooms left.

Booked the resort last weekend too. I think there is a bike race that weekend as well which could make things extra busy.

Good to see Hootie announced so we know they are open for business.
    Zags85 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-03-2018, 07:16 PM   #338
    SeekNancyUp
    Answer is always yes...

My Tour Central Stats

Unofficial AM night zero party at Blarney Island next year? It’s just south of Alpine and Blarneys could get Trippin Billies to play. If you don’t have a boat they have shuttles from Port of Blarney. It’s fun, it’s just fun. 4th of July on the Chain O’ Lakes IL is the best.
    Old 12-03-2018, 07:38 PM   #339
    flutterby

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SeekNancyUp View Post
    Unofficial AM night zero party at Blarney Island next year? It’s just south of Alpine and Blarneys could get Trippin Billies to play. If you don’t have a boat they have shuttles from Port of Blarney. It’s fun, it’s just fun. 4th of July on the Chain O’ Lakes IL is the best.

This sounds amazing. I’m in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old 12-03-2018, 08:47 PM   #340
    SeekNancyUp
    Answer is always yes...

My Tour Central Stats

[QUOTE=flutterby;17321899]This sounds amazing. I’m in.

The answer is always Yes. IMO, I can't see a scenario where DMB doesn't play Alpine next year. They'll seriously alienate the fanbase If they don't. Alpine is infinitely better than Northerly Island as a MUSIC venue. IF DMB doesn't play Alpine next year, I suggest AM change the hub stub from the Big Three to the Big Two, because obviously that's how the band and RLM feels about Alpine.

DMB & RLM have clout. Make the fan experience better at Alpine. For one, add turnstiles, especially at the east gate. Last year at D&C it was an absolute shit show. If you can't control the roads getting in and out out of the lots, control how the fans get INTO the venues:

"Much worse Friday was the nearly hourlong wait just to get past the turnstiles. Safety is important, of course — but you’d think operator Live Nation would have more than six people waving security wands at an entrance. (An actual line would have helped, too, instead of the chaotic cluster of people patiently waiting to enter.) I’ve seen more security personnel checking guests at far smaller venues like the Rave, to say nothing of Summerfest."

https://www.jsonline.com/story/enter...any/727834002/

Adding additional turnstiles to the gates to improve fan entrance throughput should be a simple fix and a no brainer. See the picture I took at N2 D&C this year.

RLM and DMB have enough clout to influence Alpine to make positive changes like adding turnstiles. Make the fan experience better and more fans will come to this epic venue. IMO, they don't have a choice. DMB needs to go to Alpine next year and Alpine needs to improve their fan experience like increasing fan entrance throughput.
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg IMG_2328.jpg (76.3 KB, 38 views)
    Old 12-04-2018, 06:03 AM   #341
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

My Tour Central Stats

Yea, my fan experience with the venue was pretty bad the one time I went. Outdoor merch booth meant having to choose between standing in the poster line all day or tailgating. Miserable trying to get into the venue with the unorganized mob. Then once we get in, the credit card servers didn't work, and every vendor went to cash only. Then the ATM's couldn't connect to the servers either. Had to borrow cash from friends.

Hiking up that big ass hill from the pit every time we needed to piss or grab a beer was also less than ideal. I'm not sure how feasible it even is, but the venue could really benefit from a new concourse at ground level.

I had a lot of fun, and if I lived in the area I'd certainly go back regularly but I don't think I'd ever travel across the country to go there again.

Last edited by ExistenceNow; 12-04-2018 at 06:07 AM.
    ExistenceNow is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-04-2018, 06:16 AM   #342
    SomeDo
    Some people do

Shows Seen: 91

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Best venue there is! If they come next year will be by 80th show then Im hanging them up. I was at both MSG shows and wasn’t overly impressed. I don’t get the same feeling as when I leave a Alpine show, a lot of the magic has been lost.
    SomeDo is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-04-2018, 08:21 AM   #343
    ISawTheBridge10

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

I think they could at least put a sort-of concourse area on the left side of the venue (left side if you're looking at the stage) where the lawn wraps around. Might lose, what, 500ish lawn spots?

Gotta be something they can do. For a music venue, I was in awe of its size when standing on top of the hill. There's gotta be some space, somewhere.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    Yea, my fan experience with the venue was pretty bad the one time I went. Outdoor merch booth meant having to choose between standing in the poster line all day or tailgating. Miserable trying to get into the venue with the unorganized mob. Then once we get in, the credit card servers didn't work, and every vendor went to cash only. Then the ATM's couldn't connect to the servers either. Had to borrow cash from friends.

Hiking up that big ass hill from the pit every time we needed to piss or grab a beer was also less than ideal. I'm not sure how feasible it even is, but the venue could really benefit from a new concourse at ground level.

I had a lot of fun, and if I lived in the area I'd certainly go back regularly but I don't think I'd ever travel across the country to go there again.

Last edited by ISawTheBridge10; 12-04-2018 at 08:25 AM.
    ISawTheBridge10 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-04-2018, 10:59 AM   #344
    IndyDMB

Shows Seen: 114

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

The venue is a fraction of what it used to be. Sad. I live a couple states away and wont be going. It's just not the same.

2024 - Deer Creek & Gorge
    IndyDMB is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-04-2018, 03:48 PM   #345
    SeekNancyUp
    Answer is always yes...

My Tour Central Stats

I love Alpine. Alpine has all the ambiance as it's ever had. I went to the D&C shows this year and I could tell they made repairs - specifically to parts of the roof. I also heard they upgraded the AV system. So they are investing and I would never say it's a fraction of what it used to be.

Alpine will always be my home venue and I hope the band plays there every year for as long as they can. From the D&C shows, my biggest gripe are the lines getting into the venue especially the narrow gate on the very northeast part of the venue. FUCKING FIX THIS. It's easy, all it takes is removing some of the fencing, adding turnstiles and security and voilà - fans can get into the venue much more efficiently.

Once I was in, I was able to easily get beers and merch and the credit card machines worked fine. Yes the steep incline can be rough at times, but it's part of the experience. It's been like that forever and won't change so I'm fine with it. Alpine is special... the tailgating, the beautiful scenery, the gorgeous wooden amphitheater shell, the greenery on both sides of the stage, it's just a legendary venue with so much history to it and bands loving playing in front of audiences there. Of course it's not as convenient as summeriest and northerly island, but the quality of the product when you're in your seat is more than worth it. The seating is so much better than the other venues too. Northerly Island is the worst. #DMBAlpine2019
    Old 12-04-2018, 04:46 PM   #346
    josh4127

Shows Seen: 108

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I love Alpine. Alpine has all the ambiance as it's ever had. I went to the D&C shows this year and I could tell they made repairs - specifically to parts of the roof. I also heard they upgraded the AV system. So they are investing and I would never say it's a fraction of what it used to be.

Alpine will always be my home venue and I hope the band plays there every year for as long as they can. From the D&C shows, my biggest gripe are the lines getting into the venue especially the narrow gate on the very northeast part of the venue. FUCKING FIX THIS. It's easy, all it takes is removing some of the fencing, adding turnstiles and security and voilà - fans can get into the venue much more efficiently.

Once I was in, I was able to easily get beers and merch and the credit card machines worked fine. Yes the steep incline can be rough at times, but it's part of the experience. It's been like that forever and won't change so I'm fine with it. Alpine is special... the tailgating, the beautiful scenery, the gorgeous wooden amphitheater shell, the greenery on both sides of the stage, it's just a legendary venue with so much history to it and bands loving playing in front of audiences there. Of course it's not as convenient as summeriest and northerly island, but the quality of the product when you're in your seat is more than worth it. The seating is so much better than the other venues too. Northerly Island is the worst. #DMBAlpine2019
    Very well said! See you at alpine!
    josh4127 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-04-2018, 06:06 PM   #347
    Zags85

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Hell yeah!!
    Zags85 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-05-2018, 09:56 PM   #348
    ryguy637
    Ryan

Shows Seen: 69

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

If Mason does a bus again you need to be at Alpine. I will reach out to Jimmy and see if hes still alive and wants to go.
    ryguy637 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-11-2018, 10:05 AM   #349
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

Shows Seen: 92

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Yeah, I don't really get the statement "it's a fraction of what it used to be" because it's exactly the same as it always was.

Still nowhere else I'd rather see the band by a country mile (though I am hoping to make my first Gorge trip this year!) Really hopeful (and optimistic) that they'll be back next summer. I guess we'll find out officially in a month or so!

DMB 2023: Nashville, Milwaukee, Deer Creek x2, Chicago x2
    AlexK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-11-2018, 10:57 AM   #350
    IndyDMB

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlexK79 View Post
    Yeah, I don't really get the statement "it's a fraction of what it used to be" because it's exactly the same as it always was.

Still nowhere else I'd rather see the band by a country mile (though I am hoping to make my first Gorge trip this year!) Really hopeful (and optimistic) that they'll be back next summer. I guess we'll find out officially in a month or so!
    Well because it's true. The venue doesn't hold what it used to. So it's not the same as it was. Simple. The days of 35,000 roaring fans are gone. That's what made the place unique IMO.

If you do Gorge, you wont be saying this about Alpine any longer.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:59 AM   #351
    TimHonks

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

The number of fans a venue holds has little/nothing to do with what makes a venue special.
    TimHonks is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-11-2018, 11:00 AM   #352
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

Shows Seen: 16

My Tour Central Stats

How does it not hold what it used to? Did they shrink the hill?
    Old 12-11-2018, 11:06 AM   #353
    TimHonks

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rodey View Post
    How does it not hold what it used to? Did they shrink the hill?
    Capacity is 9,000 less than it used to be due to camping. Not really sure why that matters though.
    TimHonks is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-11-2018, 11:10 AM   #354
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by IndyDMB View Post
    Well because it's true. The venue doesn't hold what it used to. So it's not the same as it was. Simple. The days of 35,000 roaring fans are gone. That's what made the place unique IMO.

Yeah I don't really equate the # of people with what makes the venue great. Gorge is amazing I'm sure, but for pure band performance and crowd energy, doubt it tops Alpine. Gorge I've been told is a way more relaxed, laid back vibe. Which is awesome in it's own way I'm sure.

Old 12-11-2018, 12:36 PM   #355
    dewke

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I've been to both multiple times, and I prefer Alpine.
    Old 12-11-2018, 05:43 PM   #356
    IndyDMB

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlexK79 View Post
    Yeah I don't really equate the # of people with what makes the venue great. Gorge is amazing I'm sure, but for pure band performance and crowd energy, doubt it tops Alpine. Gorge I've been told is a way more relaxed, laid back vibe. Which is awesome in it's own way I'm sure.
    Band performance and crowd energy(which is subjective at best) are the reasons the Gorge shines. The band loves that place more than any other. The 3 nights lead to the best setlist of the tour most years and the venue brings only the most diehard fans due to the commitment of going.

I went to Alpine for a decade. The place is special to the band, no doubt. Always gets good to great sets, but it's just not what it was for me personally. Wisconsin is just not a draw for me anymore. I'm glad I caught shows there in its prime, the energy from 35000 was unparralled. The roars I heard there were unmatched to this day. The place has just run its course for me is all.

Would I put it in the list of venues to catch a show at? of course!! But if I'm choosing a venue for a destination show, it doesn't make my list anymore. I'm glad people are adamant about the venue, I'd expect nothing less. It's the gorge of the midwest and still a top venue.

Hope you guys get killer shows this year and the band doesn't skip the venue going forward.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:46 AM   #357
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Band performance and crowd energy(which is subjective at best) are the reasons the Gorge shines. The band loves that place more than any other. The 3 nights lead to the best setlist of the tour most years and the venue brings only the most diehard fans due to the commitment of going.

I went to Alpine for a decade. The place is special to the band, no doubt. Always gets good to great sets, but it's just not what it was for me personally. Wisconsin is just not a draw for me anymore. I'm glad I caught shows there in its prime, the energy from 35000 was unparralled. The roars I heard there were unmatched to this day. The place has just run its course for me is all.

Would I put it in the list of venues to catch a show at? of course!! But if I'm choosing a venue for a destination show, it doesn't make my list anymore. I'm glad people are adamant about the venue, I'd expect nothing less. It's the gorge of the midwest and still a top venue.

Hope you guys get killer shows this year and the band doesn't skip the venue going forward.
    I mean, it's not a destination venue for me, being in Chicago I've always just considered it my "home" venue for DMB and always will. And the experience there hasn't been any different in the years since they reduced the capacity (2015 and 2016.) . I also don't get into the whole 'venue wars' thing - I find it's quite possibly THE stupidest thing about this band's hardcore fanbase (and that's saying something... ) or the "No, MY venue is the band's favorite" argument. I go to Alpine and Deer Creek every year and then will hit any other local or semi local shows that pop up.

Obviously I've always wanted to go to the Gorge and am actively planning to actually make it happen this year. I have no doubt that it's AMAZING and I can't wait to experience it. Just what I've been told by people who have done both is that Alpine is a more "intense" type of crowd (no doubt fueled by all-day tailgating ) and Gorge is more of a chill, laid back vibe - not in the sense that the band isn't playing with great energy or that the crowd isn't into it, but just in the general vibe of the crowd who are there on site for 3 days, more of a slow burn type of deal. Not saying one is better than the other (though obviously in terms of natural beauty there's no topping Gorge.) .

Just for me personally, having seen 70+ shows at places all over the country, Alpine is just my favorite.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:11 PM   #358
    SeekNancyUp
    Answer is always yes...

My Tour Central Stats

Watching the band on Periscope right now N1 C-ville 2018.

They must play Alpine next year. Please.
    Old 12-15-2018, 12:46 AM   #359
    mHeiser92

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Fuck yeah Alpine.

We all need it..
    Old 12-18-2018, 12:56 PM   #360
    dmbucks22
    Alpine 2016

Shows Seen: 112

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Alpine crowd energy> Gorge crowd energy....and it's not even close.