Healthy Eating Tips & Recipes - Page 10 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 01-11-2020, 07:17 AM   #271
TheLastStop123
paper hands

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Healthy Eating Tips & Recipes

I know I’ve said this before, but I’d be very careful with the Keto diet. It’s not a sustainable way to eat long term even though the quick weight loss is enticing. Just saw this article scrolling through Twitter about the long-term health concerns:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/z...erts-rank-best

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTheMorning View Post
Antsmarching.org: Came for the DMBc, stayed for the nDMBc.

Last edited by TheLastStop123; 01-11-2020 at 07:19 AM.
TheLastStop123 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-11-2020, 07:26 AM   #272
    scrock25

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

A fad diet isn’t the best route, you don’t say
    scrock25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-11-2020, 08:00 AM   #273
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastStop123 View Post
    I know I’ve said this before, but I’d be very careful with the Keto diet. It’s not a sustainable way to eat long term even though the quick weight loss is enticing. Just saw this article scrolling through Twitter about the long-term health concerns:

There's a right and wrong way to do keto, though. If you're just eating red meat and cheese, yeah, you're going to have to have a heightened risk of CV disease.

I'd also never recommend trying to go keto in perpetuity. I think cycling it for a few months is fine, and keeping longer term sugar intake in check is not a bad thing. There's moderation to everything. Too much red meat and unhealthy fats = cardiovascular disease. Too many carbs/too much sugar = diabetes. Neither is a good option

We are America, second to none, and we own the finish line! Don't forget it!

Last edited by BTBaboon; 01-11-2020 at 08:03 AM.
    BTBaboon is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-11-2020, 08:08 AM   #274
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
    I started doing yoga Nov ‘18 and this past NYE finally tried a hot Vinyasa flow class, I’m hooked! Garmin says I’m burning around 100-150 more calories than regular vinyasa flow classes.
    I started yoga last year at the behest of my physical therapist after several injuries. I absolutely love it. I'm not sure how much I've improved but I can feel the difference in days I do and don't do it. I'd love to do some actual classes (just doing BeachBody on demand videos at home) but they're so damn expensive!

Quote:

Most of my lunches consisted of salads with chicken or turkey and my dinners were usually either pork chops or chicken (breasts or thighs) and a green vegetable (primarily asparagus, broccoli or Brussel sprouts).

I feel like that's a pretty sustainable diet. Dairy doesn't agree with me so I tried to eat as little as possible and get fat from other sources.

Either way, I'm done with keto. I can't sustain it anymore.
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-11-2020, 09:14 AM   #275
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

Shows Seen: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Keto is dumb. Do something you can sustain. Eat the right portions. Eat a diet that consists largely of things you'll find in the Mediterranean "diet" or look at what people at in Blue Zones. Be active.

Health and weight loss isn't a complicated formula.
    Old 01-11-2020, 11:06 AM   #276
    mposey34
    Learn To Swim

Shows Seen: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rodey View Post
    Keto is dumb. Do something you can sustain. Eat the right portions. Eat a diet that consists largely of things you'll find in the Mediterranean "diet" or look at what people at in Blue Zones. Be active.

Keto isn’t hard to sustain, and far easier for me than any plant based diet or diet limiting red meat

Last edited by mposey34; 01-11-2020 at 11:07 AM.
    mposey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-11-2020, 11:55 AM   #277
    laura22

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mHeiser92 View Post
    That’s really been the most eye opening part of it all. Paying closer attention at the grocery store and just realizing all the crap we were eating. It’s not hard to over do it on carbs and sugar because they are in just about everything people eat every day. No matter my results from keto or how long we stay on it, at least I have learned quite a bit about how to shop smarter.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
    If it’s not solely about quick weight loss, try Mediterranean - best overall diet fourth year in a row including #1 healthiest - https://health.usnews.com/best-diet/best-diets-overall

The Mediterranean diet was also named best diet for healthy eating, easiest diet to follow, best diet for diabetes and best plant-based diet.
    hell yeah
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scrock25 View Post
    A fad diet isn’t the best route, you don’t say
    you would think this is common sense
    Quote:

agreed. a lot of people get so defensive when it comes to meat
    laura22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-11-2020, 12:09 PM   #278
    scrock25

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Seriously, just make better choices.

I’ve lost 35 pounds in the past 8 months by taking stairs, eating apples instead of Oreos, and drinking black coffee instead of putting cream and sugar in it. Little things. Of course I’m eating better and not as much, but the point is you don’t need some fad diet to get healthy and lose weight.

I still eat meat, I still have a cookie every once in a while, my diet hasn’t changed THAT much. Little things.
    scrock25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-11-2020, 12:17 PM   #279
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Keto is dumb.
    Eh, it works for a lot of people and there's nothing wrong with it if you do it right. I think at the end of the day, you gotta find what works for you. Some people like keto, some don't. I personally do. Weight loss aside, I feel "cleaner" when I'm on it and my energy levels are WAY improved.

Yeah, it's easy to say to just eat right and limit calories and work out. But the reality is that sometimes people need the guide rails of a targeted diet to help them drop weight, eat better, and be more mindful of food choices. I don't think that's a bad thing, and certainly wouldn't bash anyone trying to better themselves through a "fad" diet.

We are America, second to none, and we own the finish line! Don't forget it!
    BTBaboon is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-11-2020, 12:42 PM   #280
    coolhotwaves
    is classic

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scrock25 View Post
    Seriously, just make better choices.

I’ve lost 35 pounds in the past 8 months by taking stairs, eating apples instead of Oreos, and drinking black coffee instead of putting cream and sugar in it. Little things. Of course I’m eating better and not as much, but the point is you don’t need some fad diet to get healthy and lose weight.

I still eat meat, I still have a cookie every once in a while, my diet hasn’t changed THAT much. Little things.
    Exactly this. Real change comes from changing how you think, by changing your self control you are actually making progress that will last, and not only that, it translates into other areas of your life as well:
    coolhotwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-11-2020, 04:11 PM   #281
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    Eh, it works for a lot of people and there's nothing wrong with it if you do it right. I think at the end of the day, you gotta find what works for you. Some people like keto, some don't. I personally do. Weight loss aside, I feel "cleaner" when I'm on it and my energy levels are WAY improved.

Yeah, it's easy to say to just eat right and limit calories and work out. But the reality is that sometimes people need the guide rails of a targeted diet to help them drop weight, eat better, and be more mindful of food choices. I don't think that's a bad thing, and certainly wouldn't bash anyone trying to better themselves through a "fad" diet.
    I don’t think there’s enough science to say there’s nothing wrong with it if someone is considering trying to sustain it, there is a lack of available evidence which is why it ranks 34/35 for overall (great for short term super fast weight loss) and what little evidence there is suggests some concerns for long term. Mediterranean on the other hand has massive amounts of epidemiological evidence supporting it as the #1 choice for overall long term health outcomes plus it’s not really a diet which is aces.
    Old 01-11-2020, 04:32 PM   #282
    mHeiser92

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

I’m giving keto a shot because it’s a plan that includes some of my favorites including red meat and cheese. By no means do I think I will be on this plan for life, but it has already helped by opening my eyes and giving more thought to what I’m eating. At the end of the day if I can use the keto plan as a vehicle to lead me to an overall healthier lifestyle then it has served it’s purpose.

I’m not going to live the rest of my life eating 20 carbs or less everyday but I’m training myself and body to eat a different way.
    Old 01-15-2020, 09:25 AM   #283
    mHeiser92

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Started keto 1/6 and as of today I’m down 5 lbs. pretty happy to see that since I feel like I haven’t made any crazy changes. I’m still eating great foods I love even if I can’t have my beloved bread. Started with a goal of 25-30 lbs so seeing results like this shows me it should be attainable.
    Old 08-10-2020, 06:28 AM   #284
    Bostonsux013
    VICTORY!

Shows Seen: 33

My Tour Central Stats

I am looking to begin a low carb diet and wanted to know if anyone had any tips for a beginner. I am pretty overweight but I am solidly built. I weight 290 and am 6 ft tall. I'm looking for meal prep ideas, what times of the day to eat, snacks, and any other advice that will help me get started. I really want to go through with this and not give it up after a couple days. I've always wanted to lose weight but have never actually made the commitment. I think the reason I want to lose is starting to become more about health than it is about appearance. I just turned 30 and the reason I might have wanted to slim down in the past had little to do with actually wanting to be healthy, I just wanted to look better. Now I feel like I want to be healthy and I know that my appearance will also improve, but the main issue is getting healthier.

Any advice would be appreciated!
    Bostonsux013 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-15-2020, 11:09 AM   #285
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Started Whole 30 with my wife yesterday. Day 1 was such a breeze. Day 2 has been a nightmare. Feels like I have the flu almost. According to the timeline I have this for about 2 more days then I turn into an irate asshole and then around day 10 things start clicking. Next Wednesday can't come soon enough.
    Old 09-15-2020, 11:14 AM   #286
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    Started Whole 30 with my wife yesterday. Day 1 was such a breeze. Day 2 has been a nightmare. Feels like I have the flu almost. According to the timeline I have this for about 2 more days then I turn into an irate asshole and then around day 10 things start clicking. Next Wednesday can't come soon enough.
    What does Whole30 entail?
    Old 09-15-2020, 11:17 AM   #287
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Went vegetarian two months ago and am trying to slowly transition to vegan.
    Old 09-15-2020, 04:33 PM   #288
    laura22

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    how is it going for you? any changes in how you physically feel?

i ate plant-based in january for several months. i say plant-based because that's what my diet generally was. i probably ate meat maybe 4 times over the course of 5 months. dairy included ice cream (lmao).

i couldn't believe how much better my recovery was with running. for years i've had lingering soreness after long/hard runs. nothing debilitating, i always figured it was just from being super active. but it pretty much disappeared after a week of not eating meat. i was crushing my marathon training and i really think the plant-based diet played a huge role, despite my family telling me it's in my head
    after COVID cancelled my marathon, i was less motivated to stay plant-based. so when summer came (grill season!), i started eat meat more frequently (3-4 times a week). the lingering soreness came back! even with running way less!

i'm back to trying to cut it out for the most part. this is usually what a typical day looks like for me:

breakfast- usually a fat bowl of oatmeal with nuts, cinnamon, black strap molasses (good iron source). maybe some banana or peanut butter

lunch- bigass salad (spinach, fruit, pumpkin seeds for the iron, veggies, maybe some sweet potato or quinoia, nuts, maybe tofu/tempeh)

dinner- usually a stew/soup from my insta-pot or stir fry

snack- cliff bar and/or protein shake

Last edited by laura22; 09-15-2020 at 04:34 PM.
    laura22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-15-2020, 04:37 PM   #289
    TheLastStop123
    paper hands

Shows Seen: 39

My Tour Central Stats

man I really admire you guys who can give up meat. I really would love to but I feel like I’m too picky and would be hungry all the time.

matthew what are you eating to stay full?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FromTheMorning View Post
    Antsmarching.org: Came for the DMBc, stayed for the nDMBc.
    TheLastStop123 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-16-2020, 07:00 AM   #290
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by M. Steng View Post
    What does Whole30 entail?
    https://www.thekitchn.com/what-you-c...whole30-239838

Essentially no processed foods, dairy, legumes, grains or alcohol. The main thing is to focus on real food like meats, veggies and fruit. It's kinda like keto in a sense of what you can eat, except it's not focused on fats and you can't have dairy.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    Love some tempeh.
    Old 09-16-2020, 07:56 AM   #291
    Lee3691

Shows Seen: 129

My Tour Central Stats

I could give up dairy except for ice cream and an occasional slice of cheese.

Always interested in some good healthy recipes though.
    Lee3691 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-16-2020, 08:20 AM   #292
    TrampledUnderw.

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

I'm lactose intolerant and I have a hard time not eating cheese. Hard cheeses like a sharp cheddar or parmesan are usually ok. Ice cream can tear me tf up. I also like cottage cheese and greek yogurt as some high protein snacks, and I long as I don't go crazy I'm usually ok.

Protein pancakes and shakes have been a pretty big part of my diet lately, bc I've been slammed with work and these only take a few minutes.

I try to incorporate meatless meals pretty often in my diet. I love hard tofu, lentils, beans, chickpeas. Giving up fish/seafood would be the hardest part of going vegetarian for me.

My dinners are usually stir fry. I'll put some oil in the wok and fry a clove or two of minced garlic for a minute, then add a healthy scoop of sichuan bean paste and red pepper flakes, let it go for 30 another seconds or so, and set it to the side. Then stir my my shit, usually its like broccoli, bok choy, green beans, mushrooms,or bell peppers, and whatever protein. Ill add like 1/4-1/2 cup of chicken stock with some soy sauce, shoaxing rice wine, and corn starch to make a sauce, and then add the oil/pepper/bean paste back. Can't go wrong
    TrampledUnderw. is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-16-2020, 08:25 AM   #293
    Lee3691

Shows Seen: 129

My Tour Central Stats

For anyone who is vegan, Smoothie King has some fantastic vegan smoothies. Pineapple Spinach & Mango Kale.
    Lee3691 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-16-2020, 11:37 AM   #294
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by laura22 View Post
    how is it going for you? any changes in how you physically feel?

i ate plant-based in january for several months. i say plant-based because that's what my diet generally was. i probably ate meat maybe 4 times over the course of 5 months. dairy included ice cream (lmao).

i couldn't believe how much better my recovery was with running. for years i've had lingering soreness after long/hard runs. nothing debilitating, i always figured it was just from being super active. but it pretty much disappeared after a week of not eating meat. i was crushing my marathon training and i really think the plant-based diet played a huge role, despite my family telling me it's in my head
    after COVID cancelled my marathon, i was less motivated to stay plant-based. so when summer came (grill season!), i started eat meat more frequently (3-4 times a week). the lingering soreness came back! even with running way less!

i'm back to trying to cut it out for the most part. this is usually what a typical day looks like for me:

breakfast- usually a fat bowl of oatmeal with nuts, cinnamon, black strap molasses (good iron source). maybe some banana or peanut butter

lunch- bigass salad (spinach, fruit, pumpkin seeds for the iron, veggies, maybe some sweet potato or quinoia, nuts, maybe tofu/tempeh)

dinner- usually a stew/soup from my insta-pot or stir fry

snack- cliff bar and/or protein shake

It's going really well. I've definitely noticed an improvement in my stamina in tennis, and like you mentioned, recovery as well. Tournament last weekend I played seven matches. Normally on a Monday following a run like that, I'd be brutally sore. I felt fine; even went for a run.
    Old 09-16-2020, 11:47 AM   #295
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    man I really admire you guys who can give up meat. I really would love to but I feel like I’m too picky and would be hungry all the time.

matthew what are you eating to stay full?

All kinds of stuff. Yesterday:

Breakfast: Everything bagel with cream cheese
    Lunch: Veggie burrito (black beans, guac, bell pepper, onion, cilantro, rice etc...)
    Dinner: Red beans and rice with vegan sausage.

Today I started with biscuits and gravy with vegan breakfast sausage.

Last edited by ExistenceNow; 09-16-2020 at 11:51 AM.
    ExistenceNow is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-16-2020, 05:38 PM   #296
    Coolmunk too
    I amthe cool-est monkey

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

You can substitute mashed black beans for shortening in baking recipes.
    Coolmunk too is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-16-2020, 06:15 PM   #297
    MDPrompter
    Prmpter Chief Economist

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Love keto. It’s been my diet ~75% of the time over the past 5 or so years.

1) it’s not for everyone
    2) there’s a right and wrong way to do it
    3) the scientific research and potential benefits on everything from epilepsy to cancer to inflammation to longevity to diabetes treatment are really quite astounding.
    4) Similar to BT, I just feel calmer, sharper when I’m in ketosis. And it’s way easier to control/improve body composition.

Keto is not a fad. It’s gained a lot of popularity over the past couple years, but it’s been a slow build for more than a decade (and actually the diet is about 100 years old) And it is sustainable. Metabolic flexibility is not a bad thing.
    MDPrompter is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-16-2020, 06:15 PM   #298
    MDPrompter
    Prmpter Chief Economist

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Coolmunk too View Post
    You can substitute mashed black beans for shortening in baking recipes.
    Shortening is some gross shit!
    MDPrompter is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-16-2020, 06:28 PM   #299
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

I've been working with a nutritionist ever since being hospitalized with Covid and I've really learned a lot. For me it's all about maintaining energy, I used to think I ate well and a lot of the food I was eating wasn't necessarily bad for you but empty and eating it at all wrong times
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-17-2020, 07:02 AM   #300
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

I'm really hoping Whole30 helps my relationship with food. Like mdmarvich said, keto can be done right and wrong. I feel like I started right and had great momentum but once I lost it and tried to get back on everything went south. In my failed attempts to restart I think I developed a toxic relationship with carbs. It's really affected how I view the food group moving forward.

Carbs are totally necessary. There's good ways and better ways to eat them and I don't think I've reached that point yet. But even four days into Whole30 I'm really struggling eating carbs. I had a few small slices of potatoes in our pot roast last night and I kinda freaked out eating them. Completely unnecessary but my brain associates them negatively.