Healthy Eating Tips & Recipes - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 02-09-2015, 11:34 AM   #61
fridge112887
William Perry

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Healthy Eating Tips & Recipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjr4884 View Post
Eat ribeyes instead of filet.
Pork belly instead of tenderloin.
Chilean sea bass instead of cod.

Am I on the right track?

On another note, I really wish there was a place around me that butchered bison, venison, etc. I've been eating less red meat for obvious reasons, but I would love to be able to have the convenience of getting a nice game steak once a week as a beef alternative.

There is something about pre-packaged red meat that I just don't like, idk. Like the grass fed australian beef that they have in the meat dept, all set, no thanks.
Yes, on the right track. The media casts a black cloud over fat (and red meat) and cholesterol. You NEED fat and cholesterol in your diet, especially if you're male. Your body only makes a small percentage of cholesterol….if you don't consume it, how is it obtained? I eat whole eggs (often raw) and one pound of hormone free ground beef from a butcher daily. I'm also fond of raw broccoli, or any cruciferous vegetable, as it rids the body of excess estrogen. If you're male, just Google "diet and testosterone" and base your diet around the results. Sure, eating healthier is more expensive but isn't your health your most vital possession? If you answer no, you're doing it wrong.

Edit: Also, the whole notion of eating small meals every 2-3 whatever hours to speed up the metabolism is false. I don't believe this has ever been proven true it's just bodybuilder nonsense. Eat when you feel necessary but don't graze like a fat cow.

Last edited by fridge112887; 02-09-2015 at 11:37 AM.
fridge112887 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 02-09-2015, 11:50 AM   #62
    Beefsteak1138

Shows Seen: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fridge112887 View Post
    Edit: Also, the whole notion of eating small meals every 2-3 whatever hours to speed up the metabolism is false. I don't believe this has ever been proven true it's just bodybuilder nonsense. Eat when you feel necessary but don't graze like a fat cow.
    I just thought people did this so they don't get too hungry, then overeat at meal time.
    Beefsteak1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-09-2015, 11:51 AM   #63
    jjr4884

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yes, on the right track. The media casts a black cloud over fat (and red meat) and cholesterol. You NEED fat and cholesterol in your diet, especially if you're male. Your body only makes a small percentage of cholesterol….if you don't consume it, how is it obtained? I eat whole eggs (often raw) and one pound of hormone free ground beef from a butcher daily. I'm also fond of raw broccoli, or any cruciferous vegetable, as it rids the body of excess estrogen. If you're male, just Google "diet and testosterone" and base your diet around the results. Sure, eating healthier is more expensive but isn't your health your most vital possession? If you answer no, you're doing it wrong.

Ehhhh, i've never really bought into the "red meat is bad" but it does have high cholesterol and fat, so for me going forward, I would probably have steak maybe once or twice a week. You eat a pound of beef a day? Yeesh! Good for you, I love steak and could probably eat it almost every day if I wanted to, but I've been substituting fresh fish about 2-3 times a week.

Broil up a swordfish steak every now and then, salmon, etc. All good stuff. Also, the cholesterol from eggs is different from red meat, no? I could literally live off of eggs, I love them. Since I've been shedding weight, I've been usually doing 4-5 eggs for breakfast and would only keep one or two yolks in there, but still serve the entire thing over easy that way the yolk is still runny. My god delicious. Love it.
    Old 02-09-2015, 11:59 AM   #64
    jjr4884

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beefsteak1138 View Post
    I just thought people did this so they don't get too hungry, then overeat at meal time.
    This is the smart way to approach it, but the common misconception is that the more you are digesting the faster your metabolism will be, so eat 6 small meals a day. There is no evidence showing that you will metabolize food faster/slower depending on your eating frequency.

I have 3 meals a day with snacks in between, here is how my day looks for the most part

-Advocare spark first thing in the morning, then I'll have a protein shake (1 scoop) to hold me over.
    - Breakfast at work, usually an egg white omelet around 9:30am loaded with broccoli, spinach, mushrooms and tomatoes, about 5 whites in the omelet.
    - Snack, almonds dipped in hummus is my go to, 40 spice hummus from Tribe I could live off of that.
    - Lunch, one of my meal plans
    - Snack, tuna stuffed cherry peppers are awesome

Gym
    - Another shake right after the gym with 2 scoops
    - Dinner, whatever i have for a meal plan or something cooked fresh
    - I usually don't eat anything else after, if I do, it might be a small scoop of peanut butter, or even a salad with just green leaf lettuce. I make Good Seasoning Italian dressing but I put a lot more vinegar (50/50 balsamic and red wine vinegar) and water than what the recipe calls for, and less oil.

And thats that. 100-120oz of water a day.
    Old 02-09-2015, 12:00 PM   #65
    jmkratt
    You want heavy?

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beefsteak1138 View Post
    Yeah I agree with Beefy. To clarify: my Dr. told me to start my metabolism early in the morning so I did. I eat every few hours so I don't over-eat. It's been working great.
    Old 02-09-2015, 12:12 PM   #66
    jjr4884

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmkratt View Post
    Yeah I agree with Beefy. To clarify: my Dr. told me to start my metabolism early in the morning so I did. I eat every few hours so I don't over-eat. It's been working great.
    Eating first thing in the am is most important, and I never realized it until I started doing it. It took me a while too to develop an appetite in the morning. I spent weeks forcing food down my throat.
    Old 02-09-2015, 12:13 PM   #67
    jmkratt
    You want heavy?

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jjr4884 View Post
    Eating first thing in the am is most important, and I never realized it until I started doing it. It took me a while too to develop an appetite in the morning. I spent weeks forcing food down my throat.
    Seriously. I wanted nothing to do with it when I started and almost quit. But now I need it, lol. That transition was a strange one!
    Old 02-09-2015, 12:24 PM   #68
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. Most days, unless I'm rushing, my breakfast is:

2-egg omelette with spinach, peppers, onions, and low-fat feta cheese with some hot sauce on top
    1 English muffin, toasted
    1 whole grapefruit
    12 oz. orange juice
    8 oz. milk

I make a damn good omelette, too. Great way to start the day.
    Old 02-09-2015, 01:38 PM   #69
    jmkratt
    You want heavy?

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by M. Steng View Post
    Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. Most days, unless I'm rushing, my breakfast is:

2-egg omelette with spinach, peppers, onions, and low-fat feta cheese with some hot sauce on top
    1 whole grapefruit
    12 oz. orange juice
    8 oz. milk

Sounds awesome. I'd have to get up at like 4:30am to make a breakfast like this during the week though
    Old 02-09-2015, 01:56 PM   #70
    Climb2safety
    Free your mind

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Why is eating breakfast so important?

Assuming you don't snack and eat a normal lunch and dinner, is it still necessary?

I skip it every day is why I ask. I eat at 11-12 for my first food.

This town is nuts, my kind of place. I don't never ever want to leave....
    Climb2safety is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-09-2015, 02:00 PM   #71
    thebridge15

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Climb2safety View Post

Assuming you don't snack and eat a normal lunch and dinner, is it still necessary?

I do the same thing

I think (?) it helps you metabolize better, but I'm not sure

that will be a tough one for the aliens to figure out.
    thebridge15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-09-2015, 02:18 PM   #72
    TheLastStop123
    paper hands

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

it's seriously unbelievable how much eating right can do for your body. If I eat well for even just a week, I notice immediate differences (mostly in my stomach area). it's crazy. the struggle is just being consistent with it. so tough.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FromTheMorning View Post
    Antsmarching.org: Came for the DMBc, stayed for the nDMBc.
    TheLastStop123 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-09-2015, 02:37 PM   #73
    jordanbball17
    Black lives matter

Shows Seen: 55

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastStop123 View Post
    it's seriously unbelievable how much eating right can do for your body. If I eat well for even just a week, I notice immediate differences (mostly in my stomach area). it's crazy. the struggle is just being consistent with it. so tough.
    Within 3-4 days, I also feel way less sluggish and generally am in a better mood.
    Old 02-09-2015, 02:44 PM   #74
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmkratt View Post
    Sounds awesome. I'd have to get up at like 4:30am to make a breakfast like this during the week though
    Yikes, that's rough. Though, in truth, cooking usually only takes 10-15 minutes and then eating another 10-15. But I don't have to be at class most days until 10 so I can manage it.

Another thing I like to do is to eat 1-2 tsp of peanut butter about an hour before I eat dinner. A nutritionist friend of mine once told me that it coats your stomach and tricks your body into thinking you're more full than you really are so you can keep portions down. Obviously, it's partly because you're eating something before you eat dinner, but it's worked for me.
    Old 02-09-2015, 02:46 PM   #75
    rconverse

Shows Seen: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay View Post
    cage free, farm fresh.

little jerry seinfeld is the answer to our egg problems.
    These are sweat shop eggs!
    rconverse is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-09-2015, 02:48 PM   #76
    rconverse

My Tour Central Stats

I try to make all my meals for the week on the weekend. That way I don't make portions too large. I also don't have snacks at my apartment. I haven't bought chips, candies or cakes in years.
    Old 02-09-2015, 04:16 PM   #77
    bartender_man

Shows Seen: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadizzy1 View Post
    I don't enjoy water and I try to avoid soda. If I knew of a healthier alternative I would be all over it. I know some people do those water additives but those have a bunch of sugar too, I hear

I drink water daily, but would like to add flavor

http://www.doctoroz.com/recipe/dr-ozs-green-drink
    Old 02-09-2015, 05:04 PM   #78
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LowEnd_Theory View Post
    There are a few things for me. The first being, that once I started eating local and/or free range chicken, I could never go back to the "regular" stuff-- even simply for the taste/texture alone (it becomes weird).

I'm not a prick, and if you had me over for dinner and costco chicken was served, I wouldn't blink an eye and I'd eat it-- I'm not one of those people whose super rigid and righteous.

I will say though, that locally sourced/organic/humanely treated animals have become that "regular" and the factory farm costco chicken now seems so "unregular" and "unacceptable" and doesn't feel right to me. And I think this is becoming true for more people who see our fucked up food industry. My point is, this "trend" is not going anywhere because it should be the "regular".

I don't know if you care about supporting animal cruelty, or putting all of the horrible energy that resides in those chickens (not to mention antibiotics/hormones) inside you, but it's something to consider.

I was raised by parents who had and still have no clue about this stuff-- I've come to this point over the last 4-5 years. I used to be ignorant to it and not care, but now that I'm not, I struggle to keep quiet and not try to speak out from a place of compassion, not an I'm-better-than-you type place.

Take 10 minutes out of your day, seriously: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mlh6BDBpA4
    If this should be the regular, then it needs to be cheaper. Shit is expensive and a vast majority of Americans can't justify spending 2-3 times more. I went to the grocery store today and checked out the prices on the organic/farm-raised chicken and it was like $12 a pound. The regular stuff was $4.99/lb. I understand that it might contain antibiotics/hormones, but I can't buy this "negative energy" stuff. I've survived just fine on the other stuff this long. Good post though man
    Old 02-09-2015, 05:06 PM   #79
    thebridge15

My Tour Central Stats

I'm honestly behind every component of the whole organically raised meat thing until "humane" and "cruelty" gets brought up, then I lose it

Old 02-09-2015, 05:38 PM   #80
    jjr4884

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I am not very well educated on this, but from what I've gathered, your body is obviously is in need of food/water after an 8 hours of sleep. Even if you don't feel it, you need it. If I'm not mistaken, the reason for eating a good healthy breakfast is because:

It does in fact help your metabolic process. Obviously, the better you eat, the better your body will metabolize food. If you are eating shitty fats and foods that have a high glycemic index, well, that isn't going to do much for you, but eating a healthy breakfast will give you the energy you need to get the day going.

Also, when you spend a few hours after you wake up not eating, the energy your body requires just be being awake and doing whatever has to come from somewhere. Most people will think that this energy can magically come from excess fat, but that is not the case. When your body is hungry and you aren't putting food (energy) into it, it will always deplete itself of muscle and nutrients first as it goes into "storage" mode and reacts to saving fat cells. On top of that, not eating for the first couple hours doesn't help your metabolism. Eating is the best thing for you, just need to eat the right things at the right time.
    Old 02-09-2015, 08:03 PM   #81
    fridge112887
    William Perry

Shows Seen: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

It's not. More evidence is showing that it's not the "most important meal of the day". I've felt energized without it some days and lagging others. I feel as though it's personal preference.
    Old 02-10-2015, 01:19 PM   #82
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Just got a FitBit Flex for opening an account at TD Bank. Pretty pumped as I've always wanted one, and as a student, I can keep the checking account open with $0 in it so long as I deposit $25 a month into the savings account or have $300 in it at a time. Seems like a pretty decent deal to me. I'm excited to see how it tracks everything.

Also, anyone have a good turkey burger recipe? I've tried a few I had found online a few times but they never turn out that great. Thanks!
    Old 02-10-2015, 05:29 PM   #83
    rconverse

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

1 whole grapefruit
    12 oz. orange juice
    8 oz. milk

You eat a whole fucking grapefruit with 8 ounces of orange juice? That sounds awful.
    Old 02-10-2015, 05:35 PM   #84
    thebridge15

My Tour Central Stats

what are everyone's thoughts on oatmeal? thinking that could be a reasonable thing for me to eat in the morning

Old 02-10-2015, 05:37 PM   #85
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebridge15 View Post
    what are everyone's thoughts on oatmeal? thinking that could be a reasonable thing for me to eat in the morning
    i literally eat oatmeal for breakfast every morning

so good. very healthy. great for your heart
    laura22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-10-2015, 05:41 PM   #86
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rconverse View Post
    You eat a whole fucking grapefruit with 8 ounces of orange juice? That sounds awful.
    Somebody isn't a fan of citrus, I'm guessing?

Grapefruit is absolutely delicious. After I'm done eating the inside fruit I squeeze what's left of the grapefruit juice into the orange juice. An unreal combo of flavors. (**insert sexual innuendo re: eating and juice here**)

Also, 12 oz. of OJ, one full regular-sized cup.
    Old 02-10-2015, 05:41 PM   #87
    thebridge15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by laura22 View Post
    i literally eat oatmeal for breakfast every morning

so good. very healthy. great for your heart
    I think it'd be perfect. quick and requires little materials. I bought a thing of instant (not the individual flavored packs, just a canister of oats) and am thinking I can toss some fruit in it

Old 02-10-2015, 05:44 PM   #88
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebridge15 View Post
    I think it'd be perfect. quick and requires little materials. I bought a thing of instant (not the individual flavored packs, just a canister of oats) and am thinking I can toss some fruit in it
    that's the way to go

i usually have a little brown sugar and cinnamon

but bananas and cinnamon are also good

or crasins

or vanilla extract

!!!
    laura22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-10-2015, 06:26 PM   #89
    rconverse

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Somebody isn't a fan of citrus, I'm guessing?

Grapefruit is absolutely delicious. After I'm done eating the inside fruit I squeeze what's left of the grapefruit juice into the orange juice. An unreal combo of flavors. (**insert sexual innuendo re: eating and juice here**)

Also, 12 oz. of OJ, one full regular-sized cup.
    It's not the citrus, it's the sour. I don't know how anyone can eat a grapefruit without burying it in sugar first.
    Old 02-10-2015, 07:18 PM   #90
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rconverse View Post
    It's not the citrus, it's the sour. I don't know how anyone can eat a grapefruit without burying it in sugar first.
    Acquired taste, I suppose. I really don't find grapefruits tart at all, but I've also been eating them sans sugar for about 6 years now.