What would you want in the 25th Anniv. package of BTCS? - Page 79 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 08-09-2020, 05:42 PM   #2341
eggsrsweet

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Re: What would you want in the 22nd Anniv. package of BTCS?

25th Anniv. Crash package could be cool. I mean, it is their best selling album I’m pretty sure... and if the 20th anniversary vinyl sold really well, I could see ¢ap$haw wanting to cash in twice. Put more goodies with it this time since the 20th just had the album with nothing extra.
eggsrsweet is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 08-09-2020, 09:26 PM   #2342
    pensfan71

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

I can’t believe these m’fers are going to wait until the 25th anniversary to reissue this.
    pensfan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-20-2020, 07:33 AM   #2343
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

This is what Tom Petty's camp did for Wildflowers: https://store.tompetty.com/products/...deluxe-edition

I doubt DMB would ever pull out all the stops like this, but I'd buy in a heartbeat.

We are America, second to none, and we own the finish line! Don't forget it!
    BTBaboon is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-20-2020, 08:26 AM   #2344
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    This is what Tom Petty's camp did for Wildflowers: https://store.tompetty.com/products/...deluxe-edition

I doubt DMB would ever pull out all the stops like this, but I'd buy in a heartbeat.
    That is awesome, is there a non vinyl option for fans that want the material, are willing to pay for it, but don't use that medium?

If DMB did something like that I hope there are digital purchase options.

Edit: there are many other options for the package. I would love for DMB to do this for BTCS 25

Last edited by dontdrink36; 08-20-2020 at 08:28 AM.
    dontdrink36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-20-2020, 09:34 AM   #2345
    Dodo36

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

This is what the Prince Estate has in store for the Sign O The Times re-issue this September:
    https://store.prince.com/product/5QL...=103229_108321

Into Prince? Check out my blog on Prince's full discography, including the side projects.
    https://Listen2Prince.blogspot.com
    Dodo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-20-2020, 09:39 AM   #2346
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontdrink36 View Post
    That is awesome, is there a non vinyl option for fans that want the material, are willing to pay for it, but don't use that medium?

If DMB did something like that I hope there are digital purchase options.

Edit: there are many other options for the package. I would love for DMB to do this for BTCS 25
    Just saw your edit, but yeah there's 4 different vinyl options, 3 different CD options, and 2 different digital download options.

It's a fan's dream. It depresses me a bit when I think what DMB could do with their material, how quickly fans would scoop it up, and how unlikely it is to happen in the near future.

We are America, second to none, and we own the finish line! Don't forget it!
    Old 08-20-2020, 09:56 AM   #2347
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Just saw your edit, but yeah there's 4 different vinyl options, 3 different CD options, and 2 different digital download options.

It's a fan's dream. It depresses me a bit when I think what DMB could do with their material, how quickly fans would scoop it up, and how unlikely it is to happen in the near future.
    Totally, there is such a huge appetite for this stuff especially from the big 3 albums. Maybe they are waiting for the band to be done before emptying the vaults? I hope one day we get to hear all the stuff we haven't yet.
    dontdrink36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-20-2020, 10:05 AM   #2348
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Live trax 31 will be bundled with everyday 20th anniversary, watch
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-21-2020, 02:02 PM   #2349
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Release This Before the 20th Anniversary of Busted Stuff Challenge
    coldengrey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-21-2020, 07:06 PM   #2350
    bowa36

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
    Live trax 31 will be bundled with everyday 20th anniversary, watch
    I really want LT 31 on vinyl
    Old 04-28-2021, 06:38 AM   #2351
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Time to change the thread title again.

Happy 23rd, BTCS.

Wish the band/management loved this album as much as the fans do. Just sitting on a goldmine and not releasing it. Shame.
    Old 04-28-2021, 06:40 AM   #2352
    haiku.warrior
    the slow hand quickens

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Only 2 years to go

unless management decides to make the wonderful decision of reissuing it for the 30th anniversary!
    I showed my therapist a Rashawn solo and she said his screeching high notes are his little way of getting attention and may be compensating for other shortcomings, such as lack of taste.
    haiku.warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-28-2021, 07:36 AM   #2353
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

We're going to get the 20th anniversary of Everyday observed before we ever get BTCS reissued.
    RSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-28-2021, 07:52 AM   #2354
    RiotAct

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

they're just taking their time and making sure they get it right.

07.18.2019 - R.I.P. Last Stop jam/reprise
    RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-28-2021, 08:14 AM   #2355
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

I don't even hear rumors on this anymore
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-28-2021, 08:16 AM   #2356
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadizzy1 View Post
    I don't even hear rumors on this anymore
    We're being punished because of the Batson Sessions!
    Old 04-28-2021, 11:22 AM   #2357
    Carson31

Shows Seen: 179

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Happy 23rd, BTCS.

Wish the band/management loved this album as much as the fans do. Just sitting on a goldmine and not releasing it. Shame.
    I nudged a few people on this and other things about a month ago. We'll see what happens. For what it's worth, management passed the buck to the band. They claim it's the band that doesn't want to do more studio archival projects, and that they are fully concentrated on the next album. My discussion had more to do with older demos than it did BTCS but the response could certainly pertain to BTCS too. It seems strange that we were finally getting the albums on vinyl and then just stopped all the sudden. The first excuse was that we didn't get BTCS in 2018 because of Come Tomorrow. 3 years later I think it's safe to say that Come Tomorrow isn't holding anything up.

This is relatively baseless speculation on my part but for the last few years I've wondered if perhaps the master tapes for BTCS could be missing. The speculation stems from a few things, but one of them is that we had direct insider confirmation that RLM was looking to do a BTCS reissue, and that RLM had requested the tapes from RCA (the individual with that information has posted it before and can definitely back that up if he wants). Some of you may also be aware of this but RLM claims that RCA sent them the wrong UTTAD masters, resulting in RLM using the wrong masters for the initial UTTAD vinyl pressing. If it's true that RCA made a mistake with UTTAD, then it seems reasonable that mistakes could have been made with BTCS too.

From where I'm sitting, having seen how certain people operate, it's absolutely plausible that someone sent the tapes to someone else and never got them back. It's also plausible that those people aren't involved with RCA/RLM anymore. This scenario happened with some of the original Star Wars masters. Someone at LucasFilm sent the Return of the Jedi masters off for use in a remix project as well as a behind the scenes documentary. They never got them back, resulting in some sweet sail barge / Jabba themed music being lost forever. What's the connection you ask?:
    MTV & Sam Erickson did a documentary on the making of BTCS, a documentary that contains quite a few things that were almost assuredly pulled from the masters. If some of the masters are indeed missing as I believe they might be, could someone associated with MTV's production still have them? Would RLM care enough to go down that rabbit hole and would they even think to look there? Who knows. I don't even know for sure that the masters are currently or ever have been missing, it's just a theory. And I'm definitely not accusing anyone of intentional theft. That being said, I genuinely don't believe that the band nixed this stuff so I'm left to speculate on the possibilities. Perhaps the reality of an Everyday vinyl pressing not existing is proof enough that it really was the band who put a stop to their studio archival releases? I find that hard to believe, especially since the tired live trax series still persists... why would the band still be ok with old shows being released on CD but decide to stop with the bigger money reissues of their albums... when they were already in the midst of releasing them, and on the cusp of the biggest one... ? Something doesn't add up.

Now that Ive said all that we'll get BTCS this summer
    Carson31 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-28-2021, 12:02 PM   #2358
    Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 100

My Tour Central Stats

Carson, not to make excuses for RCA if they really were the culpable party as respects the erred UTTAD release - but wouldn't you say there should be some obligation on Red Light's part to listen to the music they're putting out to make sure it's right? There has to be some culpability on their part as well; at least in my opinion.

Last edited by Cscottrun; 04-28-2021 at 12:03 PM.
    Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-28-2021, 12:12 PM   #2359
    HonestDenver1

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carson31 View Post
    I nudged a few people on this and other things about a month ago. We'll see what happens. For what it's worth, management passed the buck to the band. They claim it's the band that doesn't want to do more studio archival projects, and that they are fully concentrated on the next album. My discussion had more to do with older demos than it did BTCS but the response could certainly pertain to BTCS too. It seems strange that we were finally getting the albums on vinyl and then just stopped all the sudden. The first excuse was that we didn't get BTCS in 2018 because of Come Tomorrow. 3 years later I think it's safe to say that Come Tomorrow isn't holding anything up.

This is relatively baseless speculation on my part but for the last few years I've wondered if perhaps the master tapes for BTCS could be missing. The speculation stems from a few things, but one of them is that we had direct insider confirmation that RLM was looking to do a BTCS reissue, and that RLM had requested the tapes from RCA (the individual with that information has posted it before and can definitely back that up if he wants). Some of you may also be aware of this but RLM claims that RCA sent them the wrong UTTAD masters, resulting in RLM using the wrong masters for the initial UTTAD vinyl pressing. If it's true that RCA made a mistake with UTTAD, then it seems reasonable that mistakes could have been made with BTCS too.

From where I'm sitting, having seen how certain people operate, it's absolutely plausible that someone sent the tapes to someone else and never got them back. It's also plausible that those people aren't involved with RCA/RLM anymore. This scenario happened with some of the original Star Wars masters. Someone at LucasFilm sent the Return of the Jedi masters off for use in a remix project as well as a behind the scenes documentary. They never got them back, resulting in some sweet sail barge / Jabba themed music being lost forever. What's the connection you ask?:
    MTV & Sam Erickson did a documentary on the making of BTCS, a documentary that contains quite a few things that were almost assuredly pulled from the masters. If some of the masters are indeed missing as I believe they might be, could someone associated with MTV's production still have them? Would RLM care enough to go down that rabbit hole and would they even think to look there? Who knows. I don't even know for sure that the masters are currently or ever have been missing, it's just a theory. And I'm definitely not accusing anyone of intentional theft. That being said, I genuinely don't believe that the band nixed this stuff so I'm left to speculate on the possibilities. Perhaps the reality of an Everyday vinyl pressing not existing is proof enough that it really was the band who put a stop to their studio archival releases? I find that hard to believe, especially since the tired live trax series still persists... why would the band still be ok with old shows being released on CD but decide to stop with the bigger money reissues of their albums... when they were already in the midst of releasing them, and on the cusp of the biggest one... ? Something doesn't add up.

Now that Ive said all that we'll get BTCS this summer
    Interesting speculation. I admit it all sounds plausible. And no business/band/artist wants to admit that they might have lost something that valuable.

My guess is that we'll get it for the 25th anniversary and they will continue on from that point. Every major act is doing things like this with their big albums, hell even lesser albums hoping that they get some renewed interest in them..

It's a huge bummer, because out of everything this band has done BTCS on Vinyl has always been on my list. At one point I even considered buying the original vinyl until I researched and discovered the actual sound on it was less than desirable..

I also don't see the members in the band having any involvement in a straight re-release whatsoever. Like did they sit down with UTTAD and CRASH and relisten or approve anything that was done? I assume their team just needs a green light to work on it, and perhaps the band gives it a quick once over before it's out. But I doubt that even...

I would agree that if a new album is truly on the docket, a BTCS release would interfere with the plans/timing of release on some level. But I doubt anyone here wouldn't buy it all... Are non hardcore fans interested in a vinyl re-rerelease of a 23 year old album?

If the band is saying they want to focus on the current sound and members of the band and keep their eyes moving forward for now..I get it.. I think we got UTTAD and Crash when there wasn't much in terms of progress from new material/studio coming out...

But they did spend a ton of effort remastering the classic live albums...

I think per anything management wise with this band, it's just a crap shoot. I don't think they have someone at the helm helping guide these decisions at all. If the band isn't seeing monetary support from vinyl projects, I could see them saying what's the point..

You also have to factor in the Boyd aspect... I know we've been getting a ton of older shows released, but there might be different legal royalty issues on the earlier actual albums. I don't pretend to know details of how this stuff works, but just speculating.

Dave does not seem to care about HQ audio quality like say Neil Young would. And isn't actively looking to make his old stuff reach it's full audio potential.
    HonestDenver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-28-2021, 12:16 PM   #2360
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

My Tour Central Stats

God I hope the masters for BTCS aren't missing. That it's just some other fuck up some along the line.
    Old 04-28-2021, 12:16 PM   #2361
    HonestDenver1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cscottrun View Post
    Carson, not to make excuses for RCA if they really were the culpable party as respects the erred UTTAD release - but wouldn't you say there should be some obligation on Red Light's part to listen to the music they're putting out to make sure it's right? There has to be some culpability on their part as well; at least in my opinion.
    I think it shows there isn't an obligation.. Similar to some of the live mixes we get on shows... It's like someone sets the initial mix on the first song, runs the whole show that way with little to no tweaks and just says, "good enough". Hence why some shows you don't get a great mix of say a guest or why Tim is super upfront or Dave's guitar not audible...

I don't think there's any quality control. The difference is asking fans to pay $40 for a vinyl vs $13 for a download, there's going to be some complaints if it's not right. Especially when it's something as blatant as an entire part being muted on an album we've all heard 1000 times...
    Old 04-28-2021, 12:19 PM   #2362
    HonestDenver1

My Tour Central Stats

It's a damn shame, because getting Crash on Vinyl was a treasure. It's truly the only way I will listen to it anymore by choice. It just brings out the best of that recording. And I think BTCS would be even more so. There's so much more going on and textures/layers that a good remaster would bring out.. The 90's really loved to squash sound for radio.
    Old 04-28-2021, 12:21 PM   #2363
    Carson31

Shows Seen: 179

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cscottrun View Post
    As a person who firmly believes that leaders should always take responsibility, absolutely I blame RLM for not listening. I would never ever have shifted blame to RCA. If I'm project manager, I accept all the blame.
    Carson31 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-28-2021, 12:22 PM   #2364
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

My Tour Central Stats

So this sets the mark from "Be patient...it's imminently coming" to "It maybe coming....maybe."
    Old 04-28-2021, 01:10 PM   #2365
    dmbh2o

Shows Seen: 72

My Tour Central Stats

I've been reading this thread so long, I can't remember all the up's and down's, but I thought a while back there was some chatter from insiders that something was 'in the works' and various ideas were being considered, only to ultimately be put on hold. I think the idea of lost masters could certainly be a possibility, but doesn't that contradict with 'something in the works' just getting shelved? I'm desperately grasping at straws here...I want this reissue in the worst way!

Funny side note...I just remembered that when BTCS came out, that year's edition of my high school year book was titled 'Beyond These Busy Streets' and I was like wow, way to steal that title...
    dmbh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-28-2021, 01:13 PM   #2366
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Carson brings up an interesting point regarding the master tapes. If they’re lost/misplaced, that’d be a fuck up to end all fuck ups. But, that said, I’d also imagine a safety copy exists which could be used. And, even if there are no source analog tapes remaining, you’d think they’d just change gears and doing something cool digitally to commemorate their best work. Instead we got a post on their social media about it and then it’s been 3 years of relative silence.

It’s all just so odd.

And frustrating as a fan.
    Old 04-28-2021, 01:17 PM   #2367
    Crash1983
    2017 Setlist Game Champ

Shows Seen: 93

DMB Hub Stubs: 31

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Carson brings up an interesting point regarding the master tapes. If they’re lost/misplaced, that’d be a fuck up to end all fuck ups. But, that said, I’d also imagine a safety copy exists which could be used. And, even if there are no source analog tapes remaining, you’d think they’d just change gears and doing something cool digitally to commemorate their best work. Instead we got a post on their social media about it and then it’s been 3 years of relative silence.

It’s all just so odd.

And frustrating as a fan.

And on all their social channels they just posted about the BTCS anniversary, they are getting bombarded with vinyl reissue requests
    Old 04-28-2021, 01:20 PM   #2368
    Dodo36

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

I almost wonder if they were a victim of the Universal warehouse fire 13 years ago that no one still really knows the breadth of. More was housed there than just UMG properties. At the time Viacom (Mtv's parent before ViacomCBS came into being) had a big partnership with Vivendi-Universal. If Carson's Mtv theory holds up, its possible they were put there.

All of that is entirely plausible, especially in a pre-smartphone world. A lot of things just got lost in the shuffle of daily business, and necessity prompted a certain level of priority. If the BTCS masters at the time weren't needed for a pressing or another press level project, it could have been backburnered and forgotten.

Safety copies and original master tapes also find their way into the hands of enterprising collectors with the money to spend and the scruples of a Jersey Shore co-star.

If it was up to the band it may just not be something they were every more than passingly interested in. If RLM handled them up to Crash and then passed the buck to the band, that could make a lot of sense.

And you would hope the suits would listen to something before work begins on it or that they listen to engineers when they say something seems off, but I've see both not happen first-hand. Archival releases, anthologies, greatest hits packages, and re-issues rarely get the attention they should from the decision makers.

Into Prince? Check out my blog on Prince's full discography, including the side projects.
    https://Listen2Prince.blogspot.com

Last edited by Dodo36; 04-28-2021 at 01:23 PM.
    Dodo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-28-2021, 02:06 PM   #2369
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

My Tour Central Stats

They post on social media and it’s so tone deaf. Literally first 25-30 comments are about vinyl reissue
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-28-2021, 02:14 PM   #2370
    DMBCardinal

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

DMBCardinal is offline   Reply With Quote