guitar lessons - Page 8 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 05-18-2013, 09:31 PM   #211
dreamingrace
every hue inside of you

Shows Seen: 90

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Re: guitar lessons

I am self taught on the guitar. I played cello when I was younger so the fingering came easier for me. For some reason I just love to finger pick. I don't even like playing with a pic. Is this a sign that I should maybe check out a classical guitar? Can I still play folk music on a classical? That may be a real silly question but I am shopping for a guitar.

I had my action lowered on my ovation but it's still so high. I'd like to try something new for a good price, any suggestions?

I also asked about easy dmb songs to play on the guitar in a thread I started below. I will back read this thread for information. From what I have read so far Ants and Proudest Monkey might be a good start. Funny thing is all the stuff I taught myself on the guitar was my own music. I never learned guitar doing covers - this will be a new venture for me.
dreamingrace is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 05-18-2013, 09:32 PM   #212
    dreamingrace
    every hue inside of you

My Tour Central Stats

and thanks for all the great links on inspiring websites to learn more, awesome!
    Old 05-21-2013, 06:34 AM   #213
    ItsOutOfMyHands

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreamingrace View Post
    I am self taught on the guitar. I played cello when I was younger so the fingering came easier for me. For some reason I just love to finger pick. I don't even like playing with a pic. Is this a sign that I should maybe check out a classical guitar? Can I still play folk music on a classical? That may be a real silly question but I am shopping for a guitar.

I had my action lowered on my ovation but it's still so high. I'd like to try something new for a good price, any suggestions?

I also asked about easy dmb songs to play on the guitar in a thread I started below. I will back read this thread for information. From what I have read so far Ants and Proudest Monkey might be a good start. Funny thing is all the stuff I taught myself on the guitar was my own music. I never learned guitar doing covers - this will be a new venture for me.
    I personally think ants marching is a difficult song to master, especially if you want to sing along too

If the action is too high, putting light strings on may help. less pressure will be required to press the strings down. Gauge 11 is the lightest I have used but 10's are available.

It may be worth learning how to adjust your truss rod as this can lower the action. Electric guitars seem to be more comfortable to play, the action on my stratocaster is lovely. If you are still unhappy with your guitar, it may be worth having it set-up by a different luthier, or telling your luthier that you are still not happy with the action. it may be that your guitar's action is already as low as it can be before fret buzz becomes an issue. New strings make a huge difference to the sound, the only strings that I like are D'addario strings.

The only guitars that I find have consistently low action as stock are Taylor's, but they are expensive. It is hard to recommend a guitar that you will find comfortable. I have been shopping for a new acoustic for a few months but I still have not found something that really impresses me, except for taylor's. It is better to go and try a guitar in a shop rather than buy blindly from the internet, every guitar is different, even if they are the same model.

Folk guitars are a little smaller than the most common dreadnought sized guitars. I am treading into unknown territory here but I believe they use steel strings. If you are a folk fan rather than a classical fan, it would probably be better to stick with steel a stringed guitar rather than a nylon stringed classical guitar.

I think mark knopfler uses finger picking in his rock songs, eric clapton sometimes does, chris rea does, slide guitarists do, but most rockers use picks.

finger picking rock songs will mean you will play them differently to how the artist does. to do this i am sure you will sometimes be able to find tabs for it, but some of the time you may have to work out the song yourself.

Last edited by ItsOutOfMyHands; 05-21-2013 at 06:35 AM.
    ItsOutOfMyHands is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-02-2013, 09:37 PM   #214
    dreamingrace
    every hue inside of you

My Tour Central Stats

This is amazing! Thank you - gauge 10 or 11 strings by D'addario to start.

I will have to find a luthier in my area to take a look at my action. To be honest I had the neck redone in Tahoe and I haven't taken it to have another pro look at it since I moved. I just figured he had lowered it as much as possible. I'm going to goto the guitar center and try some new guitars - Taylor being one. I'm okay with the investment if I fall in love with the sound.

I'm going to go on a search for the best luthier in my area.

I have actually started to play with the pick and I'm becoming more and more comfortable. I think it was the transition from bow to fingers to pick that just needed to happen. I really love the sound of acoustic steel string.

Someone left this sweet lil' guitar outside my home awhile back and I had it restrung. Someone recently told me that this is the type of guitar that people will write songs with - not sure of the proper term but I really do love this lil' one.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ItsOutOfMyHands View Post
    I personally think ants marching is a difficult song to master, especially if you want to sing along too

If the action is too high, putting light strings on may help. less pressure will be required to press the strings down. Gauge 11 is the lightest I have used but 10's are available.

It may be worth learning how to adjust your truss rod as this can lower the action. Electric guitars seem to be more comfortable to play, the action on my stratocaster is lovely. If you are still unhappy with your guitar, it may be worth having it set-up by a different luthier, or telling your luthier that you are still not happy with the action. it may be that your guitar's action is already as low as it can be before fret buzz becomes an issue. New strings make a huge difference to the sound, the only strings that I like are D'addario strings.

The only guitars that I find have consistently low action as stock are Taylor's, but they are expensive. It is hard to recommend a guitar that you will find comfortable. I have been shopping for a new acoustic for a few months but I still have not found something that really impresses me, except for taylor's. It is better to go and try a guitar in a shop rather than buy blindly from the internet, every guitar is different, even if they are the same model.

Folk guitars are a little smaller than the most common dreadnought sized guitars. I am treading into unknown territory here but I believe they use steel strings. If you are a folk fan rather than a classical fan, it would probably be better to stick with steel a stringed guitar rather than a nylon stringed classical guitar.

I think mark knopfler uses finger picking in his rock songs, eric clapton sometimes does, chris rea does, slide guitarists do, but most rockers use picks.

finger picking rock songs will mean you will play them differently to how the artist does. to do this i am sure you will sometimes be able to find tabs for it, but some of the time you may have to work out the song yourself.
    Old 01-30-2015, 01:16 PM   #215
    MDPrompter
    Prmpter Chief Economist

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

I want to learn to play guitar reasonably well in 3 months or less. Has anyone used Rocksmith? Does it work? If it sucks, what's the best way to learn if in person lessons aren't an option?
    MDPrompter is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-30-2015, 01:54 PM   #216
    socopithy
    Resident Trash Panda

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

You can do a lot in 3 months if you're going at it hours a day and don't slack off.

Rocksmith is good shit, but honestly if you're trying to go from knowing nothing to being able to pass as rhythm for a school play or something in only 3 months, get involved with a teacher and don't cut corners.
    The point is wash the produce.
    socopithy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-30-2015, 02:03 PM   #217
    MDPrompter
    Prmpter Chief Economist

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by socopithy View Post
    You can do a lot in 3 months if you're going at it hours a day and don't slack off.

Rocksmith is good shit, but honestly if you're trying to go from knowing nothing to being able to pass as rhythm for a school play or something in only 3 months, get involved with a teacher and don't cut corners.
    unfortunately my wife and I both work and have a 1.5 and 3.5 year olds...so it's really hard for me to commit to a specific 30 min time slot every week.
    Old 01-30-2015, 02:04 PM   #218
    socopithy
    Resident Trash Panda

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdmarvich View Post
    unfortunately my wife and I both work and have a 1.5 and 3.5 year olds...so it's really hard for me to commit to a specific 30 min time slot every week.
    I hear that. Can I ask what the 3 month thing is about?
    The point is wash the produce.
    socopithy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-30-2015, 02:34 PM   #219
    MDPrompter
    Prmpter Chief Economist

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by socopithy View Post
    I hear that. Can I ask what the 3 month thing is about?
    I have multiple nice guitars and I'm tired of not being able to play them. It's time I nut up. I want an accelerated timeline, 6 months seems too long and 2 months didn't seem like quite enough time. But other than that, it's pretty arbitrary.
    Old 07-09-2015, 01:54 PM   #220
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Reasonable goal, be patient and consistent and you'll get there
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-09-2015, 02:02 PM   #221
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Edit - 3 months may or may not be reasonable depending on what you are looking to play, but if you have multiple nice guitars that you want to play put in the time and be patient and consistent in learning and you'll get there
    Old 12-14-2016, 10:04 AM   #222
    Dodo36

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

You can't go wrong with following a Mel Bay book, if you can stick with it. Following Nursery Rhymes and such ad nauseum gets tough after a while, but there really is a method to that mayhem.

You might also just try to see if there is a freelance instructor. i used to give bass lessons and would set different appointment times with clients every week as long as they worked with my schedule.

Into Prince? Check out my blog on Prince's full discography, including the side projects.
    https://Listen2Prince.blogspot.com
    Dodo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-03-2017, 01:45 PM   #223
    ckramer09

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

I have a question. Just got back into guitar this last summer for the first time in over 10 years (even then I had only played a year).

My question is to play Warehouse. I can play it, but it sounds nowhere near as good as daves. How does he mute the strings as he comes back toward the a string? I understand the first three notes (the 7-9-11 progression), it's coming back that I am lost on how he mutes the strings to make it sounds so clean while strumming all the strings!

Any help would be much appreciated!!

By the way, I've been using this video as a reference:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HmMCJ7YGsY
    ckramer09 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-24-2017, 05:46 AM   #224
    HelenaBirk12

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

I was trying tio treach the quitar by myself. But the things were getting harder and harder. Therefore I hired a teacher. Truly saying I don`t regret.
    HelenaBirk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-28-2017, 12:50 AM   #225
    HelenaBirk12

My Tour Central Stats

Maybe if you are looking to find more information about how to learn guitar, you should find the additional resources for researchers. It`s very helpful. Such services always can find the right answers.
    HelenaBirk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-06-2017, 11:10 AM   #226
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Anyone know how much guitar lessons at a guitar center typically run?

As to the thread, I have been playing for almost 15 years and never had a lesson. I can play most songs, but I still struggle to solo or improve. DMB got me into the guitar and I can pretty much play all DMB songs. My goals are to learn the music theory side of it now so that I can expand my playing and take it to the next level.
    Originally Posted by fonzz41 View Post
    This might be one of the single greatest solo posting performances in NHL Thread history. Well done, Greg, and congrats on the win. Was a fun game.
    aeroshady is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2017, 01:52 PM   #227
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

My Tour Central Stats

Not sure how much lessons cost. But I too am trying to build up my skills a bit more so I can start teaching. I've actually considered starting my own business between guitar lessons and drum lessons. Eventually I'd like to grow it into a School of Rock type situation. That's the dream though. But to start I need to get a little stronger with the theory side and some more of the ins and outs of the instruments. My wife's uncle teaches and suggested the Hal Leonard Guitar Method books. I just bought the set of 3 books and will have them tomorrow. He said that given my current knowledge and skills I could go through Book 1 in a couple weeks and be teaching beginning lessons in a month. We'll see.

I also bought a computer program that teaches music theory but haven't had the time to get started on it.
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Emedia/M...or-Complete.gc

Haven't tried it yet, so we'll see how it is. I studied music from 4th grade (25 years ago) all through high school and continued playing. So I'm pretty knowledgeable, but just need to refresh the basic theory knowledge and reading music. Not sure I feel comfortable teaching kids to play by guitar tabs...even though that's how I learned. Drums are my stronger suit though.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2017, 09:02 PM   #228
    timhelms

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

shameless self promotion here, but i've got a few dm tutorials i've done on youtube...

Say Goodbye: https://youtu.be/w5bsw0hbIKc
    Proudest Monkey: https://youtu.be/BSaXJBhOejg
    Warehouse: https://youtu.be/VOtPKauXkzA
    Two Step Rhythm: https://youtu.be/ONmuwrwtWL8
    timhelms is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-08-2017, 06:52 AM   #229
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH View Post
    Not sure how much lessons cost. But I too am trying to build up my skills a bit more so I can start teaching. I've actually considered starting my own business between guitar lessons and drum lessons. Eventually I'd like to grow it into a School of Rock type situation. That's the dream though. But to start I need to get a little stronger with the theory side and some more of the ins and outs of the instruments. My wife's uncle teaches and suggested the Hal Leonard Guitar Method books. I just bought the set of 3 books and will have them tomorrow. He said that given my current knowledge and skills I could go through Book 1 in a couple weeks and be teaching beginning lessons in a month. We'll see.

I also bought a computer program that teaches music theory but haven't had the time to get started on it.
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Emedia/M...or-Complete.gc

Haven't tried it yet, so we'll see how it is. I studied music from 4th grade (25 years ago) all through high school and continued playing. So I'm pretty knowledgeable, but just need to refresh the basic theory knowledge and reading music. Not sure I feel comfortable teaching kids to play by guitar tabs...even though that's how I learned. Drums are my stronger suit though.

I would love to know what you think about these tools once you have used them a bit! Keep up updated!
    This might be one of the single greatest solo posting performances in NHL Thread history. Well done, Greg, and congrats on the win. Was a fun game.
    Old 06-09-2017, 09:01 AM   #230
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aeroshady View Post
    I would love to know what you think about these tools once you have used them a bit! Keep up updated!
    Absolutely! Just got the book yesterday and looking forward to going through it.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-20-2017, 02:16 PM   #231
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Any singer / acoustic guitar players here with PA knowledge? Any preference of Bose L1 vs. Fishman SA220 or any other suggestions?
    Old 10-20-2017, 02:42 AM   #232
    BarryMitchell

My Tour Central Stats

thanks for the advice, I've long wanted to learn to play the guitar
    BarryMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-20-2017, 06:59 AM   #233
    poeter

My Tour Central Stats

Guess nowadays one should only take lessons just for starters, just to get to the basics like how to position your hand properly, how to shape chords and how to tune the guitar. After you are familiar with that you can just start playing and learning songs you like. The more you play the better it gets, and when you don't know something you can peek in youtube or any other guitar themed site.

I was taught classical guitar and it's a very solid base, but it didn't help much in playing regular songs really until I figured out everything for myself. It also helps to develop hearing and you can pick up songs by ear. Just play
    poeter is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-25-2017, 09:00 AM   #234
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

My Tour Central Stats

I just started taking formal lessons in August (really September). For me, I find that it helps a lot because I had hit a wall with progression and couldn't stay disciplined enough to practice what I needed to practice in order to move on. Instead, I would settle for playing the songs I already knew or would just use tabs and if they were too complicated I would just not learn that song.

My goal is to stay with the lessons for at least a year to get a better foundation.
    Old 12-02-2017, 06:54 PM   #235
    timhelms

My Tour Central Stats

here's the latest youtube tutorial i've done on Minarets for anyone who doesn't know how to play this song

https://youtu.be/1P43Jiretog
    Old 01-23-2018, 08:13 AM   #236
    Nick Williams

My Tour Central Stats

I've been planning to learn how to play the guitar for several years
    Nick Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-23-2018, 05:41 PM   #237
    timhelms

My Tour Central Stats

JTR: https://youtu.be/4X9ghCxG0e0

Pay For What You Get: https://youtu.be/uURswOxVefM
    Old 01-24-2018, 08:27 AM   #238
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

My Tour Central Stats

Update: I have been taking guitar lessons since August. Definitely a large change in my abilities. I am able to play on most songs now and my knowledge of the guitar neck it so much better than it was. I am also getting pretty good at modes. The theory is what we focus on in our lessons right now, but I am also spending 20 minutes per lesson jamming with my teacher (which has been great for me). Technique for soloing is something I would like to improve.
    Old 01-29-2018, 11:40 AM   #239
    berman1125

Shows Seen: 84

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

I think that I have gotten as far as I can with being self taught. I need help getting deeper
    berman1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-31-2018, 06:49 AM   #240
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by berman1125 View Post
    I think that I have gotten as far as I can with being self taught. I need help getting deeper
    That's what she said?

Seriously though, I felt the same way and I have to say I have gotten much better since starting lessons in August. Even with my teacher and I just jamming and getting unfocused most lessons . I only practice about 30 minutes a week (although I play every day), and I have gotten a lot better. Lessons make a difference.