Xbone has actual games. Ps4 just kinda wobbles - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 11-16-2011, 07:33 PM   #31
justink

Shows Seen: 51

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Possible new Microsoft console in 2012?

isn't PS4 due for Christmas 2012? i think i read that somewhere. also, i read they wanted to rollout after xbox3 so they could trump their specs.
justink is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 11-16-2011, 08:14 PM   #32
    thestand
    Best Ever

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by justink View Post
    isn't PS4 due for Christmas 2012? i think i read that somewhere. also, i read they wanted to rollout after xbox3 so they could trump their specs.
    Nope, hasn't been for awhile. The most recent details out of Sony's camp would have the PS4 on track for mid-2014. Many of their studios are still working on PS3 titles, with only 2 or so tied to PS4 launch titles, and that's only recently. If Microsoft commits to Holiday 2012, I could see Sony having something ready by mid-2013 at the earliest, but that would still be them rushing.
    Will in time both outpace and outlive you, Hail Satan!
    thestand is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-16-2011, 08:56 PM   #33
    jordanbball17
    Black lives matter

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

God, I miss the Gamecube days. I still have COD for it
    Old 11-16-2011, 09:14 PM   #34
    thechad90000
    You're Goddamn Right

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

I've still got an old Dreamcast laying around here somewhere.
    "Her one drink had Cecelia giggling and talking and she was explaining that animals had souls too. Nobody challenged her opinion. It was possible, we knew. What we weren't sure of was if we had any. - Charles Bukowski
    thechad90000 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-16-2011, 09:41 PM   #35
    water_into_wine

Shows Seen: 2

My Tour Central Stats

So will it be best to wait for the PS4 or the Xbox 3?
    water_into_wine is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-16-2011, 10:00 PM   #36
    buzz05232000
    In Flynn We Trust

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thestand View Post
    I'm pumped. I just spent a thousand dollars on a gaming PC
    build or bought?

http://www.last.fm/user/buzz05232000
    buzz05232000 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-16-2011, 10:02 PM   #37
    buzz05232000
    In Flynn We Trust

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thechad90000 View Post
    I've still got an old Dreamcast laying around here somewhere.
    i'm currently playing a bit of ocarina and oblivion

http://www.last.fm/user/buzz05232000
    buzz05232000 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-16-2011, 10:03 PM   #38
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

I have no idea what i will be buying.

Depends on what each one is capable of, and how much the price of each of is. PS3 was waaaayyy too expensive for my taste. My guess is both will be 3D capable if it has stayed relevant up to that point, and both will have Blu-Ray.

PS4 will have a newer version of Move, and Xbox will have Kinect upgraded.

I think they will also have Smart TV like hubs that are more up to date with relevant apps. Twitter, Facebook, Pandora, Spotify, Email, Netflix, Youtube, Selective if not full web browsing capabilities.

Outside of that, there is really no where else to go with the actual gaming aspect. 3D is really the last frontier for gaming. Online has reached its full potential, Graphics will continue to get better, and sound is going to go towards 7.1. Controls might see tweaks, but when PS3 tried to implement those it was half baked. The hands free is a fad IMO, it just isn't realistic to try and play a game like CoD or Madden hands free.

Just my two cents on the next gen consoles.
    It's not called the Great Depression because it was an awesome fucking time.
    Speilmen230 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-16-2011, 10:07 PM   #39
    water_into_wine

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Speilmen230 View Post
    I have no idea what i will be buying.

Depends on what each one is capable of, and how much the price of each of is. PS3 was waaaayyy too expensive for my taste. My guess is both will be 3D capable if it has stayed relevant up to that point, and both will have Blu-Ray.

PS4 will have a newer version of Move, and Xbox will have Kinect upgraded.

I think they will also have Smart TV like hubs that are more up to date with relevant apps. Twitter, Facebook, Pandora, Spotify, Email, Netflix, Youtube, Selective if not full web browsing capabilities.

Outside of that, there is really no where else to go with the actual gaming aspect. 3D is really the last frontier for gaming. Online has reached its full potential, Graphics will continue to get better, and sound is going to go towards 7.1. Controls might see tweaks, but when PS3 tried to implement those it was half baked. The hands free is a fad IMO, it just isn't realistic to try and play a game like CoD or Madden hands free.

Just my two cents on the next gen consoles.
    Nope. I guarantee you, they will continue to innovate. And aren't graphics really what it comes down to anyway?
    Old 11-16-2011, 10:13 PM   #40
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues

My Tour Central Stats

If you really think about it, there is literally no where for them to go.

The graphics will always get better. The processors get faster and the hard drives get better.

IMO if 3D is still relevant in 2014, they will be pushing that hard. 3D games will be far and away the biggest selling factor. Adding visual/physical depth to the screen would make the experience much better. FPS in 3d could make them way more intense and help to judge distance.

I really don't see any major innovations outside of 3D. At least not solid innovations.

Edit: Look what tv has done, they topped out at 1080p, so they started creating new types and adding more bells and whistles. Internet access, 3D, LED, thinner, ect. ect.

I see the exact same thing for Video Game consoles.

Last edited by Speilmen230; 11-16-2011 at 10:16 PM.
    Old 11-16-2011, 10:20 PM   #41
    water_into_wine

My Tour Central Stats

They don't need a new selling point other than better games. Better graphics and more data usually equals better games.
    Old 11-16-2011, 10:21 PM   #42
    justink

Shows Seen: 51

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    If you really think about it, there is literally no where for them to go.

The graphics will always get better. The processors get faster and the hard drives get better.

IMO if 3D is still relevant in 2014, they will be pushing that hard. 3D games will be far and away the biggest selling factor. Adding visual/physical depth to the screen would make the experience much better. FPS in 3d could make them way more intense and help to judge distance.

I really don't see any major innovations outside of 3D. At least not solid innovations.

Edit: Look what tv has done, they topped out at 1080p, so they started creating new types and adding more bells and whistles. Internet access, 3D, LED, thinner, ect. ect.

I see the exact same thing for Video Game consoles.
    tv is nowhere near topped out at 1080p.

and video games will always expand with new ideas. remember how bad ass the power glove and track power pad were? now we have wii, kinect... eventually we'll be plugging into the matrix.
    justink is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-16-2011, 10:28 PM   #43
    thestand
    Best Ever

My Tour Central Stats

We're at a point in technology, and not just video game graphics, where it's not about improving, it's about fundamentally changing. There was just an article today about Lithium Ion batteries, and how they had a major breakthrough where, if you make the sheets of metal porous, it allows efficiency of about 10x what batteries are today, and after 1 year of regular usage, they're still 5x as efficient as an off-the-shelf Li-ion battery today.

How does that relate to gaming? Well, for graphics, yes, GPUs will continue to get faster. But, as an article someone posted stated, what if the bulk of the work was done in the cloud, leaving your onboard GPU just to do AA, and what the extra cores on a top of the line discrete PC graphics card do right now? Also, memory will play a big part. If these ship with SSDs that have a blurringly fast read/write time, paired with an optic device like the next generation of Blu-Ray that Sony has hinted at, which will be able to fit 6TBs onto an optical disc, you could have textures for daaaaaays, all being handled in an innovative way.

And there was a big hubbub earlier this year about a new graphics system that generates spheres instead of polygons, where a character would have billions of these spheres, instead of a few polygons. No longer would a rock just be a little physics particle with three polygons laid across it, it would be a mound of billions of little particles. At the moment, the tech is unrealistic, because it's hitting a natural bottleneck, because while it fundamentally works, no CPU/GPU pair in existence can render trillions of individual units on the fly in motion. It struggles to generate them while they're still. But if the tech can find a way to come down to, say, thousands or millions of particles, and the CPU/GPU/cloud computing combined can lower the bottleneck, it may be feasible. Not on this generation though, I'm talking a decade down the line.

TLDR version: lots of new possibilities. Every generation is believed to be the best, and then it's decimated by the next.
    Old 11-16-2011, 10:29 PM   #44
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by water_into_wine View Post
    They don't need a new selling point other than better games. Better graphics and more data usually equals better games.
    Look at every console, it debuted something new. Even just something simple like a new controller (Nintendo -> Super Nintendo -> N64), Rumble Pak, Ability to play CDs, DVDs, & Blu Rays. They almost always have something new to debut.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by justink View Post
    tv is nowhere near topped out at 1080p.

and video games will always expand with new ideas. remember how bad ass the power glove and track power pad were? now we have wii, kinect... eventually we'll be plugging into the matrix.
    It has topped out at 1080p for now. Just like DVD's topped out for a while. So while the newer tech is being developed they start pushing out 'lesser' important things.
    Old 11-16-2011, 10:32 PM   #45
    water_into_wine

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Look at every console, it debuted something new. Even just something simple like a new controller (Nintendo -> Super Nintendo -> N64), Rumble Pak, Ability to play CDs, DVDs, & Blu Rays. They almost always have something new to debut.
    Not really. Xbox 360 didn't really. I don't see how you don't think they can do something minor.

The big new thing will be all games will be downloadable. Cloud gaming.
    Old 11-16-2011, 10:35 PM   #46
    thestand
    Best Ever

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Not really. Xbox 360 didn't really
    May seem insignificant now, but it was pretty much game-changing that the 360 was 720p ready out of the box, and 1080p with a game built for it, and an additional, not provided, connection.

PS2 and Original Xbox both topped out at 480i.
    Old 11-16-2011, 10:41 PM   #47
    water_into_wine

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thestand View Post
    May seem insignificant now, but it was pretty much game-changing that the 360 was 720p ready out of the box, and 1080p with a game built for it, and an additional, not provided, connection.

PS2 and Original Xbox both topped out at 480i.
    That's my point though. Is that it has higher quality, but they really never needed completely functional innovations for gaming like Jesse seems to be insisting (Though I don't doubt they will). The 360 played games at a higher quality. That's pretty much it.
    Old 11-16-2011, 10:41 PM   #48
    thestand
    Best Ever

My Tour Central Stats

Just so everyone's on the same page, there are already PC players who think a 1080p resolution is like playing SNES. Go watch someone play Battlefield 3 with dual (or triple) GTX 580s in SLI, and you'll be wondering why you haven't just put the 360 away with the 2600. The graphical improvement is already here, that's not even future tech. The fact that most TVs aren't ready for higher resolutions isn't a problem, because these consoles have decade-long lifespans. So that's kind of a moot point, I'd expect both new consoles to be some of the first devices to be able to do 2K out of the box (being 2048x1920). But worldwide, the NHK and the BBC have both said they want to be broadcasting in 8K, or 7680 x 4320 pixels, by 2016. I don't know if that'll happen in this generation or not, I'd guess it'll stay at 2K, maybe 4K.
    Old 11-16-2011, 10:41 PM   #49
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Not really. Xbox 360 didn't really. I don't see how you don't think they can do something minor.

The big new thing will be all games will be downloadable. Cloud gaming.
    Wireless controllers out of the box, an internet based dashboard, Xbox Live improved 10 fold, smoother/smaller controllers.
    Old 11-16-2011, 10:43 PM   #50
    thestand
    Best Ever

My Tour Central Stats

Oh, also, wait to see the new xbox dashboard this winter. I'm in the beta right now, but we're under an NDA, so I can't talk about it. But suffice it to say, using only already publicly available knowledge, the Xbox as your home media hub is going to be big. Like, some of the adverts for the XB3 may have nothing to do with gaming, or mention gaming in passing, type big. We'll see.
    Old 11-16-2011, 10:49 PM   #51
    water_into_wine

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Wireless controllers out of the box, an internet based dashboard, Xbox Live improved 10 fold, smoother/smaller controllers.
    You're switching from a discussion about gaming to one about viewing the system as a hub in general. If we are talking about it as a media-device these systems obviously have enormous potential (which I think they also have in gaming).

Also I honestly don't know whether you are arguing for or against the further development potential of these systems. You're jumping around. I obviously believe that they do have lots of potential...
    Old 11-16-2011, 11:01 PM   #52
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You're switching from a discussion about gaming to one about viewing the system as a hub in general. If we are talking about it as a media-device these systems obviously have enormous potential (which I think they also have in gaming).

Also I honestly don't know whether you are arguing for or against the further development potential of these systems. You're jumping around. I obviously believe that they do have lots of potential...
    I'm not jumping around at all. I'm saying that for the last 20 years every system has gotten better spec wise, but it has also debuted something new for the casual fans.

PS3 and 360 were the first systems to go towards the notion that systems can become entertainment hubs. And now that gaming is starting to reach it's peak as far as adding new aspects to gaming, i think you will see a push towards making them all in one hubs.

The graphics will always improve and there will always be new interesting games that will push the boundaries of the system of which they are available for.

IMO 3D will become the next avenue for what feature they add to a gaming experience.

After that i don't see where else they can go with new bells as whistles to add to the gaming experience.

As far as the consoles go, they still have not tapped the full potential of the entertainment 'hub' aspect. In reality, your Gaming Console could essentially turn into your Cable Box & Computer. I can see them starting to push that aspect in addition to the new features.

I am totally for the progression of gaming, but as far as new features and tweaks to the gaming experience i really don't see where else they can go with it, therefore it will force them to add other bells and whistles to the console.

Just like everything else, it has to grow and change to stay current and marketable. It cannot stay stagnant or it will start to loose mainstream popularity. You will always have your hardcore gamers who only look for the meat and potatoes, is the gameplay improved, are the graphics better, & how are the online servers? But the casual fan wants to get more out of their system, especially for close to a grand. And that is where the new features come into play.

Last edited by Speilmen230; 11-16-2011 at 11:05 PM.
    Old 11-16-2011, 11:12 PM   #53
    water_into_wine

My Tour Central Stats

These systems have been pushing for the all in one media hub for awhile. Not too new. They're just becoming more capable of accomplishing it.

I think you are underestimating the possible innovation capabilities of gaming, Jesse.
    Old 11-16-2011, 11:18 PM   #54
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues

My Tour Central Stats

I probably am, i haven't been reading my GI magazines religiously like i used to so i am not on the up and up any more, but like i said earlier, this is all my opinion. But i do really believe that they are gonna be pushing 3D HARD, when the next generation of consoles come out.

The MediaHub idea, while not new, is just starting to be realized. I think another aspect of the next gen consoles that you are gonna see is them advertising a longer lifespan because they can do OTA updates. I know that is something they do currently but i think you will start to see them advertising things like that. Just my opinion.
    Old 11-16-2011, 11:24 PM   #55
    water_into_wine

My Tour Central Stats

I actually don't think 3D will be that bi of a deal. Especially because you need a capable TV.
    Old 11-16-2011, 11:29 PM   #56
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues

My Tour Central Stats

It obviously depends on how far this 3D thing goes. It could end up being a Standard feature, if that is the case, they would be dumb not to include it. afterall 2014 is a whole 2 years away. A LOT can happen in 2 years in the world of technology.
    Old 11-16-2011, 11:32 PM   #57
    water_into_wine

My Tour Central Stats

Well 2014 isn't the release date. Probably actually be sooner. I think 3D hasn't caught on and was more of a fad then a trend. Yeah, sure they will include it (and is that even a hardware thing? Sounds more like software which can be DLC) but I doubt that is where their push will be.
    Old 11-16-2011, 11:36 PM   #58
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues

My Tour Central Stats

PS3 had an OTA update that enabled it to play 3D blu-rays. The key is getting the Devs to make it a front running feature of their games.
    Old 11-16-2011, 11:40 PM   #59
    thestand
    Best Ever

My Tour Central Stats

I'm on my phone, so apologies if there's errors, but a few things:

One, Sony's 3D results have been underwhelming at best, even by projections. They banked on there being a big interest, and as of right now, it's just not there. They'll both have the option, as they do now, but I don't think it's going to be a selling point. It'll be on the box, insomuch as that the PS3's SACD support was on the box. If you have a 3D tv, it'll be there.

But remember, 3D is largely on the developers' side. If they don't develop with 3D in mind, an upscaled game will look as good as network tv upscaled to 3D. And they won't make an effort to focus on 3D until the demand is there. CoD is in 3D, but you don't see it as a big selling point.

The other thing, and I don't have a link for it, but go watch the Unreal Engine 4 demo video, to see what will likely be the engine of many next-gen titles will run on. Unreal 3 was what a gigantic number of games ran on, including all the CoDs.
    Old 11-16-2011, 11:40 PM   #60
    thestand
    Best Ever

My Tour Central Stats

Thank you both for covering my point that took 6 minutes to type.

Tags
    504 boys , rodeyiswobbled , wobblewobble , xboneon , xboneskyperickyh24