"[Fonz Jam In 7]" - Antsmarching.org Forums

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion


Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
OneSweetMonkey
Deep Fire, You Burn Me
 
OneSweetMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 9,383

Shows Seen: 247
Send a message via AIM to OneSweetMonkey

"[Fonz Jam In 7]"

Does anyone know what the "Fonz Jam In 7" is? Did it evolve into something? I highly doubt that Dave set-listed Fonz's intro to Crush. (Or maybe he did... how would I know for sure? But it really doesn't seem very likely).

Anyways... Anybody know what it was/is/became/didn't become?

Thanks!

http://dmbalmanac.com/setscans/453056101.jpg

http://dmbalmanac.com/TourShowSet.aspx?id=453056101

Last edited by OneSweetMonkey; 01-28-2013 at 05:38 PM.
OneSweetMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

  • Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-28-2013, 06:07 PM   #2
    lalkb48
    My name is Dave(really)
     
    lalkb48's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2003
    Location: Clinton, NY/ Hingham,MA
    Posts: 5,636

    Shows Seen: 62
    Send a message via AIM to lalkb48

    Re: "[Fonz Jam In 7]"

    Im pretty sure its The Dreaming Tree but I could be wrong.

    Edit: I answered before clicking the links. It was probably an idea the band had from the a few shows before.
    http://dmbalmanac.com/TourShowSet.as...=80&where=2004
    __________________
    61 shows and counting...
    "Always remember the best in a curse on the sweet up and down" - DJM 6-8-10
    www.youtube.com/lalkb48
    https://soundcloud.com/dmbgroogruxking

    Last edited by lalkb48; 01-28-2013 at 06:11 PM.
    lalkb48 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-28-2013, 06:11 PM   #3
    lalkb48
    My name is Dave(really)
     
    lalkb48's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2003
    Location: Clinton, NY/ Hingham,MA
    Posts: 5,636

    Shows Seen: 62
    Send a message via AIM to lalkb48

    Re: "[Fonz Jam In 7]"

    I dont have the audio on me but I am eager to listen to this when I get home and see if it ever evolved into something we know today.

    If anyone is home and had access to this, does it sound familiar?
    __________________
    61 shows and counting...
    "Always remember the best in a curse on the sweet up and down" - DJM 6-8-10
    www.youtube.com/lalkb48
    https://soundcloud.com/dmbgroogruxking
    lalkb48 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-28-2013, 06:16 PM   #4
    Dannyyankou
     
    Dannyyankou's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2010
    Location: Westchester, NY
    Posts: 17,148

    Shows Seen: 23

    Re: "[Fonz Jam In 7]"

    I just listened to "Fonzie's New Idea" yesterday. I'll upload it when I get the chance.


    EDIT: Never mind, here it is.

    http://www.mediafire.com/?4ygnednmxyy

    Last edited by Dannyyankou; 01-28-2013 at 06:17 PM.
    Dannyyankou is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-28-2013, 06:22 PM   #5
    420th jimi
    West Coast LoVE!
     
    420th jimi's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2002
    Location: SoCal
    Posts: 7,713

    Shows Seen: 75

    Re: "[Fonz Jam In 7]"

    My guess it is an intro Fonz did on Crush and it is in 7/8 time (signature). Dave put it on the setlist to give everyone a head's up on the 7/8 time.
    420th jimi is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-28-2013, 06:26 PM   #6
    420th jimi
    West Coast LoVE!
     
    420th jimi's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2002
    Location: SoCal
    Posts: 7,713

    Shows Seen: 75

    Re: "[Fonz Jam In 7]"

    Oh yea, it wouldn't be Dreaming Tree because the show date is 2004 and the song had been out too long to call it anything but DT.
    420th jimi is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-28-2013, 06:27 PM   #7
    lalkb48
    My name is Dave(really)
     
    lalkb48's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2003
    Location: Clinton, NY/ Hingham,MA
    Posts: 5,636

    Shows Seen: 62
    Send a message via AIM to lalkb48

    Re: "[Fonz Jam In 7]"

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 420th jimi View Post
    My guess it is an intro Fonz did on Crush and it is in 7/8 time (signature). Dave put it on the setlist to give everyone a head's up on the 7/8 time.
    I dont think it has anything to do with Crush. Look at the show below, the band clearly had something to remember that Fonz had played before - which was not played before Crush.

    http://dmbalmanac.com/TourShowSet.as...=80&where=2004
    __________________
    61 shows and counting...
    "Always remember the best in a curse on the sweet up and down" - DJM 6-8-10
    www.youtube.com/lalkb48
    https://soundcloud.com/dmbgroogruxking
    lalkb48 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-28-2013, 06:27 PM   #8
    patthebear
    \_(ツ)_/
     
    Join Date: Jun 2010
    Location: Brooklyn
    Posts: 17,006

    Shows Seen: 40

    Re: "[Fonz Jam In 7]"

    Too Much opener and a Too Much Reprise closer? Sounds cool.
    patthebear is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-28-2013, 06:31 PM   #9
    OneSweetMonkey
    Deep Fire, You Burn Me
     
    OneSweetMonkey's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2002
    Location: Connecticut
    Posts: 9,383

    Shows Seen: 247
    Send a message via AIM to OneSweetMonkey

    Re: "[Fonz Jam In 7]"

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lalkb48 View Post
    I dont have the audio on me but I am eager to listen to this when I get home and see if it ever evolved into something we know today.

    If anyone is home and had access to this, does it sound familiar?
    It was never played. It was setlisted only (that night, at least). If I could hear it, I'd be able to figure it out.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dannyyankou View Post
    I just listened to "Fonzie's New Idea" yesterday. I'll upload it when I get the chance.


    EDIT: Never mind, here it is.

    http://www.mediafire.com/?4ygnednmxyy
    I remember "Fonz's New Idea". Wasn't that from like '92 or '93, though? Do you know what year/show this is from?

    EDIT : nevermind. I asked before clicking on the link. Thank you I'll check it out.

    Last edited by OneSweetMonkey; 01-28-2013 at 06:32 PM.
    OneSweetMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-28-2013, 06:33 PM   #10
    lalkb48
    My name is Dave(really)
     
    lalkb48's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2003
    Location: Clinton, NY/ Hingham,MA
    Posts: 5,636

    Shows Seen: 62
    Send a message via AIM to lalkb48

    Re: "[Fonz Jam In 7]"

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OneSweetMonkey View Post
    It was never played. It was setlisted only (that night, at least). If I could hear it, I'd be able to figure it out.



    I remember "Fonz's New Idea". Wasn't that from like '92 or '93, though? Do you know what year/show this is from?
    Go look at the show I put in my original post to you. That is probably what the band was referring to in that set (the one you posted).
    __________________
    61 shows and counting...
    "Always remember the best in a curse on the sweet up and down" - DJM 6-8-10
    www.youtube.com/lalkb48
    https://soundcloud.com/dmbgroogruxking
    lalkb48 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-28-2013, 06:35 PM   #11
    OneSweetMonkey
    Deep Fire, You Burn Me
     
    OneSweetMonkey's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2002
    Location: Connecticut
    Posts: 9,383

    Shows Seen: 247
    Send a message via AIM to OneSweetMonkey

    Re: "[Fonz Jam In 7]"

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lalkb48 View Post
    Go look at the show I put in my original post to you. That is probably what the band was referring to in that set (the one you posted).
    Yeah, sorry. I edited my comment too late. I asked before I clicked the link and then noticed the date for it. Thank you for posting.

    Is the "song" you posted timed in 7? (I really don't know anything about timing in music. I just know what sounds good, lol.)
    OneSweetMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-28-2013, 06:42 PM   #12
    lalkb48
    My name is Dave(really)
     
    lalkb48's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2003
    Location: Clinton, NY/ Hingham,MA
    Posts: 5,636

    Shows Seen: 62
    Send a message via AIM to lalkb48

    Re: "[Fonz Jam In 7]"

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OneSweetMonkey View Post
    Yeah, sorry. I edited my comment too late. I asked before I clicked the link and then noticed the date for it. Thank you for posting.

    Is the "song" you posted timed in 7? (I really don't know anything about timing in music. I just know what sounds good, lol.)
    I'm not sure. I probably only listened to this show once in my life and that was back when I downloaded it. When I get home I am going to give it a listen and see if it resembles anything the band has written since then.

    I am assuming its in 7 because of the title. And based on the information of both of these sets, it was originally listed as "Fonzies New Idea" and then later "Fonz Jam in 7". The quesiton mark on the setlist obviously indicated the band recalled it and were entertaining the idea of trying it out live. The fact that it was listed on a setlist leads me to think the band liked it and it may have evolved into something we know today. With Joyride, Sugar Will, Crazy Easy, GGT, and Hello Again all from 04 and then this thing in the mix, Im intrigued.
    __________________
    61 shows and counting...
    "Always remember the best in a curse on the sweet up and down" - DJM 6-8-10
    www.youtube.com/lalkb48
    https://soundcloud.com/dmbgroogruxking
    lalkb48 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-28-2013, 06:48 PM   #13
    OneSweetMonkey
    Deep Fire, You Burn Me
     
    OneSweetMonkey's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2002
    Location: Connecticut
    Posts: 9,383

    Shows Seen: 247
    Send a message via AIM to OneSweetMonkey

    Re: "[Fonz Jam In 7]"

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lalkb48 View Post
    I'm not sure. I probably only listened to this show once in my life and that was back when I downloaded it. When I get home I am going to give it a listen and see if it resembles anything the band has written since then.

    I am assuming its in 7 because of the title. And based on the information of both of these sets, it was originally listed as "Fonzies New Idea" and then later "Fonz Jam in 7". The quesiton mark on the setlist obviously indicated the band recalled it and were entertaining the idea of trying it out live. The fact that it was listed on a setlist leads me to think the band liked it and it may have evolved into something we know today. With Joyride, Sugar Will, Crazy Easy, GGT, and Hello Again all from 04 and then this thing in the mix, Im intrigued.
    I just listened to it. It's just Dave strumming some chords. It doesn't sound like it's timed in 7. And if it did evolve into something, than they must have changed it/added to it quite a bit. It doesn't sound like anything familiar. Let me know if you pick up on something that I didn't hear, but I couldn't make anything out of it.
    OneSweetMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-28-2013, 06:50 PM   #14
    chadizzy1
    Plane Recovery Expert
     
    chadizzy1's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2011
    Location: Central Arkansas
    Posts: 33,727

    Shows Seen: 39

    Re: "[Fonz Jam In 7]"

    Dude, this is "angel from montgomery" which Dave covered a couple of times. but i can't remember right now who originally played it
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-28-2013, 06:52 PM   #15
    OneSweetMonkey
    Deep Fire, You Burn Me
     
    OneSweetMonkey's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2002
    Location: Connecticut
    Posts: 9,383

    Shows Seen: 247
    Send a message via AIM to OneSweetMonkey

    Re: "[Fonz Jam In 7]"

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadizzy1 View Post
    Dude, this is "angel from montgomery" which Dave covered a couple of times. but i can't remember right now who originally played it
    lol. And Crater played the bongos on it the night Dave was on House. I got it.
    OneSweetMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-28-2013, 07:32 PM   #16
    SmoothRider[PL]
    MM#14 A tortured soul
     
    SmoothRider[PL]'s Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2006
    Location: Giżycko, Poland
    Posts: 12,619

    Shows Seen: 12

    Re: "[Fonz Jam In 7]"

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by patthebear View Post
    Too Much opener and a Too Much Reprise closer? Sounds cool.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNd97IcQFZ8

    and kinda offtopic, but one of my fav. Too Much's ever

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IFMalBWjXc
    __________________
    1961-2008
    SmoothRider[PL] is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #17
    patthebear
    \_(ツ)_/
     
    Join Date: Jun 2010
    Location: Brooklyn
    Posts: 17,006

    Shows Seen: 40

    Re: "[Fonz Jam In 7]"

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SmoothRider[PL] View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNd97IcQFZ8

    and kinda offtopic, but one of my fav. Too Much's ever

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IFMalBWjXc
    Awesome, thanks.
    patthebear is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-28-2013, 07:54 PM   #18
    lalkb48
    My name is Dave(really)
     
    lalkb48's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2003
    Location: Clinton, NY/ Hingham,MA
    Posts: 5,636

    Shows Seen: 62
    Send a message via AIM to lalkb48

    Re: "[Fonz Jam In 7]"

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OneSweetMonkey View Post
    I just listened to it. It's just Dave strumming some chords. It doesn't sound like it's timed in 7. And if it did evolve into something, than they must have changed it/added to it quite a bit. It doesn't sound like anything familiar. Let me know if you pick up on something that I didn't hear, but I couldn't make anything out of it.
    Will do.
    __________________
    61 shows and counting...
    "Always remember the best in a curse on the sweet up and down" - DJM 6-8-10
    www.youtube.com/lalkb48
    https://soundcloud.com/dmbgroogruxking
    lalkb48 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-28-2013, 08:38 PM   #19
    BJisBA41
     
    BJisBA41's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2006
    Location: Albany, NY
    Posts: 1,798

    Shows Seen: 37

    Re: "[Fonz Jam In 7]"

    That setlist is awesome, wish I saw that show
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
    Honestly, 2014>July 1 08 and on ward
    BJisBA41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-28-2013, 11:19 PM   #20
    moosicmaniac
     
    Join Date: Apr 2003
    Location: North Jersey
    Posts: 2,177

    Shows Seen: 23

    Re: "[Fonz Jam In 7]"

    SBC 05 Soundcheck jam was in 7, was it not? seems like a possibility but of course we'll never know.

    edit: here's the link for those who haven't heard it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBh45cR6gls
    moosicmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-29-2013, 08:24 PM   #21
    mantis32
     
    mantis32's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2008
    Location: Berkshire County, MA
    Posts: 237

    Shows Seen: 19

    Re: "[Fonz Jam In 7]"

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SmoothRider[PL] View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNd97IcQFZ8

    and kinda offtopic, but one of my fav. Too Much's ever

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IFMalBWjXc
    HAAAAAAA that made my night
    __________________
    Spac 08 n2 Mansfield 08 n1, Izod 09, Hartford 09 x2, Spac 09 n2, Hartford '10 x2, SPAC '10 x2, Mansfield '10 x2, Boston '10 n2, Hartford '12 n2, SPAC '12 n2, Hartford '13 n2, Harford '14 n2
    ~Pretend you bet them on the winning one~
    mantis32 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-29-2013, 09:39 PM   #22
    OneSweetMonkey
    Deep Fire, You Burn Me
     
    OneSweetMonkey's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2002
    Location: Connecticut
    Posts: 9,383

    Shows Seen: 247
    Send a message via AIM to OneSweetMonkey

    Re: "[Fonz Jam In 7]"

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by moosicmaniac View Post
    SBC 05 Soundcheck jam was in 7, was it not? seems like a possibility but of course we'll never know.

    edit: here's the link for those who haven't heard it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBh45cR6gls
    Could have been, yeah. But the set I posted was from '04, so I don't think it's the same thing.
    OneSweetMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-30-2013, 12:37 AM   #23
    moosicmaniac
     
    Join Date: Apr 2003
    Location: North Jersey
    Posts: 2,177

    Shows Seen: 23

    Re: "[Fonz Jam In 7]"

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OneSweetMonkey View Post
    Could have been, yeah. But the set I posted was from '04, so I don't think it's the same thing.
    well there's no reason it could have been lying around and then decide to resurrect it at soundcheck that day.

    again, not saying that it's definitive by any stretch, but the band doesn't have too much in 7.
    moosicmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-30-2013, 03:56 PM   #24
    OneSweetMonkey
    Deep Fire, You Burn Me
     
    OneSweetMonkey's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2002
    Location: Connecticut
    Posts: 9,383

    Shows Seen: 247
    Send a message via AIM to OneSweetMonkey

    Re: "[Fonz Jam In 7]"

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by moosicmaniac View Post
    well there's no reason it could have been lying around and then decide to resurrect it at soundcheck that day.

    again, not saying that it's definitive by any stretch, but the band doesn't have too much in 7.
    You're absolutely right. I shouldn't assume it's not the same thing.

    I just find it interesting that whatever this Fonz Jam in 7 is, Dave thought of it being enough of it's own song entity to actually go so far as to set list it.
    OneSweetMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-30-2013, 04:02 PM   #25
    spoot388
     
    spoot388's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2006
    Location: Scranton, Pa
    Posts: 26,500

    Shows Seen: 70
    Send a message via AIM to spoot388

    Re: "[Fonz Jam In 7]"

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OneSweetMonkey View Post
    You're absolutely right. I shouldn't assume it's not the same thing.

    I just find it interesting that whatever this Fonz Jam in 7 is, Dave thought of it being enough of it's own song entity to actually go so far as to set list it.

    could have just been a reminder to play it so they didn't go the entire night and then think "oh shit, what about that?" it could have just been something they came up with during a soundcheck one day and wanted to see how it developed. putting it on the setlist would be their reminder to play it during the show to see where it went and what it developed into.
    __________________
    -Jason
    spoot388 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-30-2013, 04:17 PM   #26
    bustedstuff88
     
    bustedstuff88's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2009
    Location: Over the rainbow
    Posts: 4,528

    Shows Seen: 28

    Re: "[Fonz Jam In 7]"

    Just came in to say Seven blows, and if it opens another show i'm at again i'm going to off myself.

    __________________
    It all comes down to nothing
    bustedstuff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-30-2013, 04:38 PM   #27
    lalkb48
    My name is Dave(really)
     
    lalkb48's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2003
    Location: Clinton, NY/ Hingham,MA
    Posts: 5,636

    Shows Seen: 62
    Send a message via AIM to lalkb48

    Re: "[Fonz Jam In 7]"

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bustedstuff88 View Post
    Just came in to say Seven blows, and if it opens another show i'm at again i'm going to off myself.

    I am glad I don't think like you.
    __________________
    61 shows and counting...
    "Always remember the best in a curse on the sweet up and down" - DJM 6-8-10
    www.youtube.com/lalkb48
    https://soundcloud.com/dmbgroogruxking
    lalkb48 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #28
    bustedstuff88
     
    bustedstuff88's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2009
    Location: Over the rainbow
    Posts: 4,528

    Shows Seen: 28

    Re: "[Fonz Jam In 7]"

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lalkb48 View Post
    I am glad I don't think like you.
    I cant sugarcoat it....I love this band but Seven is one of the worst things they have done over their entire career.....puke-ability factor is right up there with HFTGL.
    __________________
    It all comes down to nothing
    bustedstuff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-30-2013, 05:08 PM   #29
    OneSweetMonkey
    Deep Fire, You Burn Me
     
    OneSweetMonkey's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2002
    Location: Connecticut
    Posts: 9,383

    Shows Seen: 247
    Send a message via AIM to OneSweetMonkey

    Re: "[Fonz Jam In 7]"

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bustedstuff88 View Post
    I cant sugarcoat it....I love this band but Seven is one of the worst things they have done over their entire career.....puke-ability factor is right up there with HFTGL.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lalkb48 View Post
    I am glad I don't think like you.
    I have to agree. Seven might not be their best song, but it's not horrible, by any means. And I still don't understand the hatred for Hunger. That song is awesome, especially live.

    Just my opinion.
    OneSweetMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-30-2013, 05:10 PM   #30
    Dannyyankou
     
    Dannyyankou's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2010
    Location: Westchester, NY
    Posts: 17,148

    Shows Seen: 23

    Re: "[Fonz Jam In 7]"

    While Seven is usually hated on these boards, I think it's a very complex song. The lyrics suck, but it has a lot of time signature changes and the horns are great. It also has a lot of energy.
    Dannyyankou is offline   Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off

    Forum Jump


    Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:33 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
    Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


       
    Site LinksAbout AntsAnts MobileTweet Tweet
    Home
    Ants+
    Tour Central
    Search bar
    RSS Feeds
    About Us
    Contact Us
    The Ants Blog
    Advertise on Ants
    Privacy Policy
    Ants on your cell phone
    iAnts
    mobile news
    mobile setlists
    antslive!
    Ants' Twitter
    DMBLive Twitter
    Matt's Twitter
    Jake's Twitter
    Joe's Twitter